From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

how do I know if my skin is Oily or Combo?

Hey Everyone, I have heard so many things from many different "Beauty experts". my skin is Oily, my skin is dry...i find it confusing to know what the best products are for my skin. I do have a daily skin care routine....but now not sure I am using the right products. I was my face with Murad. I use a L'ancolm Toner. I use a matte cream I will be honest I don't always set my foundation...so gonna start doing that... is a brush or sponge better for oily skin for foundation application? too many questions.....Sorry any suggestions?

Re: how do I know if my skin is Oily or Combo?

Hi, @AlleyB16,

A few things on skin type - the season/climate (and hormones) can have an impact on your skin type - so it's possible that your skin type could vary, based on those factors. For example, I live in a climate that's warm and humid in summer, and cold and dry in winter - my skin is combo in Winter, and combo/oily to straight-up oily in summer. At certain times....it is very oily and break-out prone.

As far as oily, normal, or dry - what is your face like a few hours after you wash it, and apply your make-up? If your face gets shiny allover, your makeup feels like it separates or "slides off", and you have a lot of blackheads, enlarged pores, and a tendency to break out, you probably have oily skin. If your skin feels comfortable - not tight, is not overly shiny, you don't have a lot of enlarged pores, and your skin does not have flaky patches - your skin is probably normal. If your skin tends to feel tight, tends to flake easily, and does not show "shine" after several hours, you probably have dry skin. If your forehead, nose, and chin are oily, and your cheeks are dry or "normal" - you have "combo" skin.

There is also the possibility you could have sensitive skin - sensitive skin tends to react (breakouts/"purges"/red spots) to certain products or ingredients.

As far as what to use to apply make-up, I'd really consider the consistency, "slip", and finish of the foundation you are using. I tend to use a fuller-coverage matte foundation, and use a BeautyBlender. I'm happy with the results I get from that. For me, setting powder is a must.

It's strange....my skin on the sides by my ears is dry. I tend to have the oily T zone. So I guess I do have the combo skin type. I also live in a  climate where it's cold in Winter. Warm but not too humid in summer. But I do break out in summer more. 

Gonna try more mattefying products and see if that tends to help 

Thank you for the response  

@AlleyB16,

You should be able to find some skincare products that help. I'd recommend using something more mattifying/for oil in summer, and on the oily areas at other times of the year, and using something for dry skin in the drier areas. I've used the Effaclar Duo and Mat, and it's help me with oil. Ole Henriksen's Counterbalance moisturizer, or Ole's Truth Serum are also some good ones; you might want to try the Paula's Choice 2% BHA for exfoliation, and to help with any pore issues. In winter, if my cheeks are getting too dry, I'll usually use an oil on my cheek area, or a heavier moisturizer at night. You should be able to find something lighter for day (under makeup). Now that you know what your skintype is, I'd recommend going to Sephora or a department store, and see if you can get any additional recommendations, and some samples to try out (I don't think you can get samples of Effaclar), before buying a full-size product. And don't be afraid to be firm on what your skintype is - I had salespeople tell me they didn't think my skin was oily - I know that it is.

I'd also recommend getting samples of foundation, if you're looking for something different there. You may need to use something different in summer, vs what you would use when you have drier skin (I do - and I would regardless of oil, because my skin gets darker in summer).

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing