Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

I’m looking into the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel 30 Pk. How do I incorporate this into my routine?

RE: What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

@amy0205 I have been using it all over my face every night since February 2020. The whole routine was worked really good for me. I had super bad acne, like 20+ huge pimples on each side. Now I have no acne, just pigmentation, large pores, minor redness and  some scarring. 

Re: What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

@21dreamer Since Aczone and Amzeeq are prescription acne products, I agree 100% with @meou (thanks for the tag!) that you should consult your doctor about adding the DDG Extra Strength peels, or any other AHA/BHA exfoliant. Your doc should be able to tell you 1) if you can use any chemical exfoliant while using those 2 Rx products, 2) what strength and type of AHA and/or BHA you can safely use with those 2 products, and 3) how to safely incorporate an exfoliant into your current routine. 

I’ve used Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus (and Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus) many times. It’s not my usual exfoliant, but it’s the one I pack for travel because it's convenient and doesn't count toward my TSA liquids quota. Step 1 of that peel contains a lot of alcohol denat. and step 2 contains retinol. The retinol might not conflict with your Rx products, depending on your skin’s tolerance; that’d be another good question for your doc (“can I use any type of retinol, or any product that contains retinol”). But if your Rx products are already causing some dryness (some acne meds do), using something like the DDG peel that contains lots of additionally drying alcohol is probably a bad idea. In fact, the reason I stopped using the DDG peels at home was the alcohol burn they kept giving me. I now use a different brand’s (Paula’s Choice) AHA and BHA exfoliants 1-3 times a week at home. 

I hope you get good advice from your doc! 

Re: What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

Hi @21dreamer what else are you using in your routine?

RE: Re: What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

Each gram of ACZONE Gel, 7.5%, contains 75 mg of dapsone, USP, in a gel of diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, methylparaben, acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer, isohexadecane, polysorbate 80, and purified water. ——-In addition, the 4% AMZEEQ topical foam contains the following inactive ingredients: soybean oil, coconut oil, light mineral oil, cyclomethicone, cetostearyl alcohol, stearic acid, myristyl alcohol, hydrogenated castor oil, white wax (beeswax), stearyl alcohol, docosanol.

Re: RE: Re: What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

@21dreamer sorry I'm not familiar enough with these two products to feel confident giving a recommendation on if you can use them with the daily peel. If they are prescription I'd recommend going to your doctor for their guidance otherwise a general rule is that toj only need one exfoliant in your routine and if you are using retinol (like differin) that would be used on a different night as well.

Maybe one of the other skincare lovers might be able to provide their opinion if they are familiar with those products. @RAWRitsRED @WinglessOne @eshoe just tagging some other folk who love skincare that I've seen who might be better able to help

Thank you for the tag, @meou 🙂

Though I am not too familiar with that DDG peel, I know from first-hand experience how over-exfoliating can quickly damage your skin barrier. My suggestions for you would be:

1. Patch test first. It sounds entirely annoying, but the handful of bad interactions I’ve had have convinced me that patch tests are well worth it.
  2. Do not derma plane the prior two days or week after using this product. This could be number one, it’s that important. 
  3. A sleeping mask might be beneficial, to give your skin some extra-soothing love to help it recover during the night.
  4. Monitor your skin closely. Shy away from other acidic products until you are comfortable with how your skin is acclimated to the DDG.

These are just a few ideas to help you get started, Hope this works well for you and brings your skin some glow!

Hi @21dreamer!

Not sure how you would use it with the other products you're using.  I got a 10 pack sample of the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel 30 Treatments with my Sephora order a while back.

I'm super careful when I use products with active ingredients in them so on nights I used the peel, I would skip out on the salicylic acid or retinol I usually use.  My routine was face wash, toner, Dr. Dennis peel, serum and moisturizer.  I made sure none of the other products had any active ingredients in them just in case.

I agree with @meou that it would be best to contact your doctor or derm about adding the peel to your routine especially if those other 2 products are prescribed.

RE: Re: What should do you avoid when starting Dr. Dennis chemical peel

Am Routine—— La roche posay cleanser Laneige cream skin toner Aczone gelVolition celery cream Lapis oil La roche posay sun screen Pm Routine—— La roche posay cleanser differin gel Amzeeq Kiehl Creamy eye treatment Youth to people hydrate dream mask Lapis oil Laneige eye mask

Do you put the Amzeeq all over your face every night or just when you need it? My dermatologist just prescribed this to me and I’m reading conflicting directions. Thanks!

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
testing