Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

What is the best way to get rid of blackheads?

I have tried so many things; daily gentle exfoliation, blackhead-specific cleansers, non comedogenic cleansers, and in so many different brands. My skin goes from oily to dry completely at random, it seems, so finding a foundation that doesn't instantly seperate and look like paint is almost impossible at this point. I figure, if I can at least get the blackheads under control, the excess oil issue will maybe clear up? If you've ever had problems with pimples and blackheads that gave you a fit at first, but you managed to get them under control...please, tell me your story! 🙂

I have fair, sensitive'ish skin.

Hi!  Have you considered trying a Clarisonic?  It really...

Hi!  Have you considered trying a Clarisonic?  It really helps with blackheads.  (I've suffered with them for years!)

I have had similar issues and if exfoliating and all that...

I have had similar issues and if exfoliating and all that other stuff isn't working you may want to try cleansing oil.  I just purchased the Boscia Make-up Break up cleansing oil (I love their clear complexion cleanser) last week and have noticed that I have NO blackheads on my nose anymore and my pores are smaller!  I was not expecting that.  Very impressed with the whole cleansing oil concept so far.  I can't say for sure yet if it is the best thing "ever" since I've only been trying it out for a week.  Also I've noticed my skin produces less oil through out the day now (and I have OILY skin).   

The research I've done on it is saying that if you use a cleansing oil instead of a "stripping surfactant" your skin will not need to produce excessive amounts of oil.  With normal cleansers your skin is robbed of all the natural oil and so your skin trys to make up for the loss and produces a lot of oil.  Also cleansing oils stick to the dirt and debris that cause blackheads and then you can just wash them down the drain with out painful extractions etc.    

Re: I have had similar issues and if exfoliating and all that...

I'm going to try that Boscia stuff. 🙂 Thank you!

The most effective way to get rid of clogged pores and bl...

The most effective way to get rid of clogged pores and blackheads is to have them extracted by an aesthetician or dermatologist (which can be painful, but is probaby the fastest and most effective method!).

If you can't afford a facial, I have found Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant to be extraordinarily effective at unclogging my pores and polishing my skin. (Not a Sephora product, but I have to say it!) At $50, it's pricey, but SO worth it; it really is like a facial in a bottle. My skin looks and feels better than it has in years. I have had clogged pores / blackheads since I was probably 13 years old, and they are slowly disappearing.

I started using Bobbi Brown cleansing oil about 3 weeks a...

I started using Bobbi Brown cleansing oil about 3 weeks ago and it is amazing.  I have fair, sensitive skin and was having a lot of hormonal breakouts.  It has cleared up all of my breakouts.  It is a little pricey ($38) but definitely worth the money.

To deal with oily skin, I use jojoba oil. You can buy it...

To deal with oily skin, I use jojoba oil. You can buy it at Trader Joes or similar health stores. It mimics your skin's natural oil, and helps to clear out the pores.

I also am obsessed with Dr. Brandt's Pores No More Vacuum Cleaner, $45. http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P236007&categoryId=B70

Here's how I use it.

1. Cleanse face in a warm, steamy shower.

2. Dry face, apply Vacuum Cleaner for 15 minutes.

3. Wash off Vacuum Cleaner and dry face completely.

4. Using a blackhead extractor tool (Sephora sells some and you can get them at drugstores) apply pressure to the area right next to the blackhead. The clog should slide right out. It's like magic! I'm absolutely obsessed.

So I have moderately sensitive skin on my face, but am an...

So I have moderately sensitive skin on my face, but am an aggressive scrubber/exfoliator. For me, I feel like I see less blackheads and pores when I give my face a good "polishing" once a week.  I really like things that take my exfoliating to new levels. Smiley Happy with these:

Clarisonic Brush $$$$

Philosophy "The Micro Delivery Peel" $$$

Clinique Exfoliating Scrub $$

Face brush $

(i haven't used one before, but felt like i should put in a one-$ product)

Re: So I have moderately sensitive skin on my face, but am an...

Thank you! I'll definitely give those things a try. 🙂

I know it sounds very cliche but Proactive has worked the...

I know it sounds very cliche but Proactive has worked the best for me. I have the type of skin that your talking about and to get rid of black  heads and acne, I used proactive for 2-3 weeks and almost all of my acne was gone. Also try the refining mask from them when you feel like your skin is getting really bad or you start to break out more, and then it will clear its self up. For the imediate black head help, Biore strips work wonders, and you can see what comes out of your pores after. They sell ones for your nose, chin and all over your face. Thats what works for me. Hope it helps! 🙂

Re: I know it sounds very cliche but Proactive has worked the...

I havent found that problem. For me I use proactive, and then once my acne has gone I stop using it, and then if it comes back I use the refining mask.
Good Luck 🙂

Re: I know it sounds very cliche but Proactive has worked the...

Thanks so much! I heard that Proactive makes your skin get really bad once you stop using it, though. Is this true?
11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing