Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

New here//tips on dry patches

Hiya! I’m suffering from weird dry patches on my face. Weirdly enough, these patches are located around the corners of my mouth and my entire nose. I sometimes exfoliate in the shower and then moisturize with a mixture of shea oil and unscented lotion in my problem areas but it’s a VERY temporary fix. Whenever I apply a primer and foundation I realize how dry it still is because the makeup is patchy. Anyone have any good tips? Or can recommend something available with Sephora?

Re: New here//tips on dry patches

@xmscdx What's the exfoliant that you're using in the shower? Have you considered chemical exfoliating instead? I'm also prone to those weird little scaly, dry skin patches around the lower corners of my mouth/chin and I've found that adding in an AHA into my skincare routine makes a huge difference. Apologies, I'm not sure if any of these are cruelty free, but these are all available at Sephora and are my go to's for super smooth, flake free skin:

Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Pads - expensive, BUT, easily the most effective product in the shortest amount of time. Takes care of flakes, texture, tone, you name it. Sephora has a 5 pack (?) that I'd recommend just to try out, but be warned, the DDG pads are a game changer and you'll suddenly find yourself addicted to these little pads. 

https://www.sephora.com/product/alpha-beta-universal-daily-peel-P377533?skuId=1450964&icid2=products...

Neogen Bio Peel Pads - Much more gentle than the DDG (and infinitely more affordable) but still effective. I will often do a quick swipe and rinse with these before starting my makeup and it's a great prep step before moisturizer, primer, foundation. Bonus, the day after, my skin is STUNNINGLY soft.

https://www.sephora.com/product/bio-peel-gauze-peeling-lemon-P409838

Ole Henricksen Invigorating Night Transformation - My skin absolutely loves this stuff, an AHA serum, I use this almost nightly and the texture and tone of my skin has never been better. Word of caution, it has to be the last thing on your face, otherwise it pills like crazy. NOT for underneath makeup or daytime.

https://www.sephora.com/product/invigorating-night-transformation-gel-P42330

RE: New here//tips on dry patches

Hey there, do the patches happen more in cold weather? I've had some success using Dr. Jart Cicapair tiger grass cream for redness/dryness/flakeyness in the winter when my skin freaks out. It's pretty thick so I only use it at night, also has an interesting herbal scent. You can also try spot treating it with Eucerin ointment. It might be a good idea to lay off the exfoliating cleanser until the areas heal up and just use a gentle or hydrating cleanser for now. And definitely make sure you have a good moisturizer and lipbalm on if you're going out in the cold. Sidenote, sometimes cracking around the lips can be caused by low levels of iron and B vitamins, so it might be worth looking at your diet. I hope some of my rambling is helpful!

RE: New here//tips on dry patches

Also I should say that I try my best to use cruelty-free products only!

Re: RE: New here//tips on dry patches

@xmscdx  I used to get some dry patches. Try an oil or gel for moisturizer. Drunk Elephant and Josie Maran are great cruelty free brands. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing