Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Need a new cleanser

I’ll be 40 in a few months, I’m looking for a new cleanser for my combo skin. I get regular breakouts no matter what I use. I feel like I’ve tried most of the cleaners from Sephora besides the really expensive ones. Please let me know your favorites 

Re: Need a new cleanser

@VernaW  Do you use salicylic acid (BHA) in your skincare routine? This ingredient may help with your frequent breakouts, depending on what’s causing them. A couple times a week, you could swap your usual cleanser with a BHA cleanser like CeraVe Acne Control Cleanser or The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml : they both contain 2% BHA. 

I’m in my 50s with mostly-dry combo skin that’s quite reactive/inflammation-prone. I typically use the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar on my face and body in the shower at night. This month I’ve been testing the Abib Calming Facial Soap Heartleaf Stone which contains more surfactants but also more emollients, so it doesn’t leave my skin feeling stripped and dry. (The CeraVe bar doesn’t leave me feeling dry either, but it’s less emollient than the Abib bar.) 

If I need to remove makeup or zinc oxide sunscreen, I use either The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL or Paula's Choice Omega + Complex Cleansing Balm 3.5 oz/ 104 mL and then follow with one of the cleansers I mentioned. For eye makeup, I sometimes start with Paula’s Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover (the liquid, not the wipes). 

@VernaW @I just turned 40 and have combo skin more on the dry side and use Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Using two drops of this in my am or pm routine really helped me get a handle on my hormonal breakouts @VernaW 

#The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 

Niacinamide plays well with alot of ingredients in our skin care, so it isn't too hard to find a place for it in our routines. Also, this one is pretty affordable 👌 I don't know what kind of breakouts your having, or what is causing them but I thought I'd share what works for me. Cleansers I love and enjoy are

#The INKEY List Oat Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL This is my first cleanse, oil based to remove sun screen and make up

My second cleanse would be any of these

#TULA Skincare The Cult Classic Purifying Face Cleanser 

#LANEIGE Water Bank Cleansing Foam 5.29 oz / 150 g 

#Glow Recipe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser 5.41 oz/ 160 mL 

Try to make sure that the product has no pore-clogging ingredients! I think the Kale one from Youth to te people is good

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing