Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

In search of foundation

I’m having a really hard time finding a medium to full coverage foundation that will work for me. I have sensitive combination skin and I always have problems with my nose being super dry and my forehead being way too oily. My foundation always wears off on my forehead within about 4 hours and every primer I’ve tried hasn’t helped. I’ve tried a bunch of random drugstore foundations and the NARS Sheer Glow foundation, all of which have been super disappointing. I know primers make a huge difference, but I’ve used the Smashbox photo finish primer, Laura Geller spackle under makeup primer, Benefit Pore fessional pore primer, Maybelline Master Prime primer, and the tarte Rainforest of the Sea 4 in 1 setting mist (which claims to also be a primer) all of which have had the same results, a forehead with no foundation and a cakey looking nose. What primers and foundations would you recommend because I’m really struggling here.

Re: In search of foundation

@xxSKITTLESxx I have sensitive combo skin with the added benefit of rosacea 😛 It's a pain, but if parts of your face are wildly different between dry/oily, you might want to consider two different primers. A mattifying primer will dry out your nose even more, and a luminizing or hydrating primer will make your forehead an oil slick. I use a minimal amount of primer, personally: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Standard Size - 1 oz/ 30 mLon my oily areas, and just a touch of FIRST AID BEAUTY - Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizeron dry patches (normally the apples of my cheeks where my rosacea is worst). 

My holy grail foundation is MAKE UP FOR EVER - Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation. It can be built up to high-medium coverage, but I personally prefer light-medium to medium. I normally press it in with a sponge, then put a little extra on my cheeks to conceal my redness. No irritation, no breakouts, nothing but comfortable and natural-looking skin. 

I have similar skin concerns as you. I use Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Blur Face Primer Blur Primer Gold

Foundation NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 St. MoritzCHARLOTTE TILBURY - Light Wonder Foundation and La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20 150 Natural - Very Light Skin with Neutral Undertone

Also make sure to set your face with the appropriate setting powder. For my tzone I use MAC Blot powder, Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent under the eyes and for the rest of my face CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder

If needed you can set with Morphe setting spray or Urban Decay Mini All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray Mini Size - 1 oz/ 30 mL

Aloha!  I have similar skin to what you've described and here are a few foundations and primers that I go back to time and time again!

La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20 150 Natural - Very Light Skin with Neutral Underto...

Pricey-yes, but so worth it for the beautiful satin finish.  It doesn't catch to dry spots and definitely doesn't make me oily.

DIOR - BACKSTAGE Face & Body Foundation

I go back to this one time and time again because it an be shear, medium or built up to full coverage.  It's a satin finish and never makes me look oily.  I do have to mix two shades to get the perfect match, but you need so little that it lasts a long time!

Too Faced Born This Way Natural Finish Longwear Liquid Foundation Brulee

On a more affordable end, I wear this foundation at least once a week. It has a really smooth satin finish that wears well all day long, can be medium coverage with one pass and full coverage if you build it up.  Again, staying power is amazing and it works well with a multitude of powders!  Highly recommend!

Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 g

I didn't want to like this primer, but I bought the smaller one and loved it.  It smooths my skin and blurs pores and gives a tiny bit of a moisturized feeling to the skin after applied.  I actually use it in combo with the next primer:

tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer 0.5 oz/ 14.2 g

This patted into old acne scars and larger pores after applying the above mentioned Tatcha primer is my HG primer combo.  It helps mattify oily spots in my t-zone and is tacky enough to help foundation stick for the day!

GUERLAIN - L’Or Radiance Primer

Beautiful primer, a bit on the dryer side, but smooths skin and gives it a more firmed feeling and appearance.  I use this when my face is feeling more oily or I'm using a more moisturizing foundation.

Honorable Mention:  Armani Beauty Luminous Silk Perfect Glow Flawless Oil-Free Foundation 8.75

Another great foundation that isn't too dewy or too matte.  Pricey, but really does well on skin that is a little more mature (I say over 35).

Hope this helps! Aloha! 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing