Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

I need help with foundation....

Picking a foundation has been so hard for me! I’ve gone through a bunch and none last 10+ hours and they all show up texture, and look very cakey. I’ve used Esteé lauder and it looked fantastic for 5 days and one day I applied it and it looked awful! What’s a good foundation for combonation skin? To hide acne scars, acne, and last for 10+ hours. A concealer paired with the foundation would be great too!

Re: I need help with foundation....

I have combo skin, along with rosacea and occasional breakouts, and matte foundations don't work for me at all (I assume you're referring to the Estee Lauder Double Wear). My holy grail is the Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover. I'd say it's buildable to high-medium coverage (just one pump is all I need unless my rosacea is flaring, in which case I go up to 1.5), natural finish, doesn't emphasize the fine lines or texture on my skin. 10 hours is a definite stretch; I don't get that with any foundation unless there's a primer and setting spray involved, which I normally avoid because I'm sensitive. I pair it with the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, and don't bother to set it with a powder. 

I highly suggest the Too Faced Peach Perfect Foundation. I'd say do light layers at a time. Apply it with a damp sponge (I prefer the Morphe one). And I like to set it with the Mac Mineralize Skin Finish so it lasts all day. The MILK products such as the Blur stick assist with keeping the foundation smooth and in place. I also use the All Nighter Spray as well.

- How are you applying your foundation? I recommend using a damp Beauty Blender and *pressing* the foundation into your skin. It will help you apply more (to cover texture) without looking cakey.

- Matte formulas look cakey on my combination skin so I gravitate towards natural finishes. However, I am loving the Marc Jacobs Shameless lately. (Beauty bloggers seem to think it's matte even though it says Natural. Whatever it is, it is working for me!)

- As for 10 hours (!). I would say few foundations would be able to live up to that. If I had a full work day and needed to go out to a nice dinner afterwards, I would just "re-set" or freshen up my face with a damp Beauty Blender. Setting sprays (esp those with alcohol) irritate my sensitive skin so I don't bother with them, though that may be an option for you. 

Sorry- I don't use concealer. If I did, I would try the FAB bendy avocado, based on beauty bloggers reviews on it.

Good luck! 

What beauty blender do you use?

What beauty blender do you use?

RE: What beauty blender do you use?

The basic pink one. It’s the perfect size for complexion

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I’ll make sure to test out that foundation and try out the “re set” method. It sounds very interesting and I hope it works. Thanks again 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing