From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

Help! I moved and my skin is freaking out!

My skin has always been combination. I have recently moved from humid San Diego, up to the north in the dry cold mountains. I use the MILKsetting powder and it worked perfectly fine and my makeup lasted all dayin San Diego. But now that I’ve moved, my makeup becomes oily and sticky halfway through the day, as if I didn’t even use a setting powder atall. Because of the increase in oil, I have had the worst breakouts thatdon’t seem to go away. My skin is not happy. Any recommendations on what to do? Does my skin care regime need to change? New foundation? Or just a new setting powder? I want to be able to wear a full face of makeupthat sets and lasts all day like it did before. Any advice is definitely appreciated!

Re: Help! I moved and my skin is freaking out!

@Wainey 

What's your current skincare routine? A change in climate can absolutely swing your skin oilier or drier; it sounds like your skin may be trying to compensate for the dryness by going crazy with the oil. Post what you are currently using, and folks may be able to help you tweak your routine without having to go hog wild on all new products. 😊

RE: Re: Help! I moved and my skin is freaking out!

Yea I had always heard others say they hate Clinique but it did wonders for me in a humid climate! But now, I can understand why others say to avoid it. I have the Aqua Bomb belif moisturizer. I started using it by recommendation from a person at Sephora. I’ll switch up my toner and face wash and see if that works best! Thank you!

I use the Clinique mild face wash and the combination toner. I also use the belif moisturizer and shiseido eye cream and try to do a moisturizing face mask once a week. I wash and moisturize twice a day but use the toner only in my evening wash routine. Is my toner and wash too harsh you think?

Re: RE: Re: Help! I moved and my skin is freaking out!

@Wainey 

Oy, yes, some tweaks are in order (closer to a complete overhaul, sorry!). 

The Clinique mild cleanser is actually quite harsh and drying; if you want to stick with Clinique, check out either their Extra Mild cleanser (lotion format, no foaming) or the Sonic Facial soap (foaming, but not nearly as harsh as the mild). 

Clinique toners are loaded with alcohol, which could also be a culprit in your suddenly oily skin. Alcohol feels great and dries surface oil immediately, but it dries your skin out so much that it goes into overdrive with oil production to compensate. Ditch this for pretty much *any* alcohol-free toner out there...I'd avoid Clinique altogether for this category. 

Which Belif moisturizer? If it's Aqua Bomb, it has alcohol as well. The concentration is lower, and a lot of folks love it, but my personal opinion is that any alcohol should be avoided. It's doing damage behind the scenes that you may not notice now, but in the long run, it's causing your skin to become more and more sensitive over time. 

Re: Help! I moved and my skin is freaking out!

I would first try a different foundation and setting powder before breaking the bank on an all new skincare regime. 

Any recommendations for good setting powder? I’m too stubborn to change my foundation. It took me forever to find this good match!

Re: RE: Re: Help! I moved and my skin is freaking out!

Hi @Wainey,

I highly recommend the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent

Every makeup artist I know recommends it as their favorite setting powder! <333

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing