Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Cream + retinol

Hi! I’m looking for a good cream to use after applying retinol. Any recommendations? I have sensitive combination skin. Thanks!

Re: Cream + retinol

My skin is combination. I love both of these creams. They've worked well for me on top of retinol. They keep my skin from drying out from the retinol. And help with any irritation or redness. 

Dr. Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Cream  Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Cream 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

Hi @lissykit ! Have you been using retinol for a while now, or are you just starting retinol? 

If you're just starting retinol, or you've found retinol causes too much irritation for your sensitive skin: consider applying your retinol serum over your moisturizer, instead of applying it earlier in your routine. Moisturizer won't stop retinol from penetrating your skin. Instead, it can act as a buffer to help sensitive skin tolerate retinol better. 

I have mostly-dry combo skin that's fairly sensitive, and I'm currently hunting for a new moisturizer. (My old favorite has apparently been slightly reformulated.) I like moisturizers that contain good occlusive ingredients—things like shea butter, petrolatum, dimethicone, sunflower oil, etc., that really prevent hydration loss. So far, my skin likes The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL: its occlusive ingredient is shea butter, and it contains a couple peptides. My skin also likes CeraVe Moisturizing Cream: occlusives are petrolatum and dimethicone, and it contains ceramides like all other CeraVe products. Neither of these are perfect for me, but they work well and layer under my retinol serum with no problems. 

You can try more expensive moisturizers like Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL (my skin hates it but many folks love it; if you're sensitive to coconut, avoid Protini) or Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL (my skin does like this one but, for me, it's too heavy for year-round use; its occlusive ingredient is marula oil). 

Omgosh thanks so much!! 

@lissykit I have a few faves: Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL , CeraVe PM and Cetaphil Night Moisturizer.  I also like The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL if you might be open to an oil 🙂

@lissykit just curious what cream are you using now and or what is your favorite moisturizer?

Right now I’m using vinoperfect by caudalie but I’m not sure I love it. 

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing