Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Combination Skin

Am I using the wrong skincare?

Normal, after I clean with philosophy purity cleanser and wipe off excess water when I wash. 

Sometimes tightness but not dryness when I use Lancome Tonique Doucheur. Usually it's fine and I don't feel tightness. 

Also sometimes I follow up with Clinique Dramatically Moisturizing Gel. The same tightness but not dryness occurs sometimes.

I would consider myself to be normal/combo skin. Oily in T-zone but normal at the cheeks. 

What am I doing wrong??

edit: So I lied.. I'm feeling dryness at the highest points of my cheeks right now. (After cleanser and just toner.)

Accepted Solutions

Re: Am I using the wrong skincare?

I found Philosophy Purity a tad drying, but that was long ago and my memory may be a bit fuzzy. A friend said she thought it was drying but it just turned out she didn't rinse thoroughly enough.

If it's mild dryness, I recommend using a more hydrating moisturizer. I have combo skin and only use the yellow gel in the summer or else I still get dry skin. Try switching to Clinique Moisture Surge gel cream, or Philosophy Take a Deep Breath, or Boscia.

All Replies

I found Philosophy Purity a tad drying, but that was long ago and my memory may be a bit fuzzy. A friend said she thought it was drying but it just turned out she didn't rinse thoroughly enough.

If it's mild dryness, I recommend using a more hydrating moisturizer. I have combo skin and only use the yellow gel in the summer or else I still get dry skin. Try switching to Clinique Moisture Surge gel cream, or Philosophy Take a Deep Breath, or Boscia.

I'll keep this in mind! It's getting warmer so I'll first try my luck with the Clinique Mosturizing Gel & if anything, I'll check out the Clinique Moisture Surge Gel Cream.

I didn't like Purity, it made me dry & didn't do that well at cleaning off makeup. 

So you only sometimes use a moistuirzer? Cleanser & toner is not enough moisture. Even if you're oily you should still be using a moistruizer, it could be the cause of the oil. 

I'll be sure to moisturize every time after toning!

I Love Philosophy Purity Cleanser although I do sometimes find my skin feels a bit tight after washing my face. I make sure to rinse very thoroughly after washing. I also don't apply my products or cosmetics for a little while (5 - 10 - 20 minutes depending on if and when you feel that feeling -see next sentence re 'that feeling' - and how much time you have while getting ready) so that I can go back and give another quick rinse if it still has a tight feeling, that usually does the trick.  I've tried other cleansers, but I keep coming back to Philosophy, I just make sure to rinse like mad. which of course is easier in the shower but more annoying if you're at the sink. For me, it's worth it though. Hope this helps you. Moisturizers, I'm in a unsure zone, working on that myself. The change in season complicates that whole ballgame, sure many others can sympathize with that. Best of luck.

@beautytester - hi! saw your post here -  I'm off to check out your PM's right now. Talk to ya soon. Smiley Happy

You are back! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Lol, the friend I was refering to was you. I skimmed the post and was like "hmm, that sounds like kssweetheart....oh!....yay!"

I'm in the middle of switching moisturizer right now (from the super thick Algenist that my skin used to love but now choke on, to a lotion/gel cream one). Either way, def moisturize after toning. =)

@beautytester - that is so freaky! I haven't been on in ages, then you mentioned me and I just happened to unknowingly respond to the exact same post - the 1st time I posted anything this year! ! What are the chances? **cue music from The Twilight Zone -- Do-do-do-do Do-do-do-do** It's almost like you were calling me, saying "get on her and respond to something woman!!" Freaky, but wonderful. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

You should be using a moisturizer everyday. Toners can make your skin feel tighter, which is why I don't use a toner everyday. The moisturizing gel should be fine but it seems like your toner is the problem. A toner is supposed to make your skin feel tighter and with my dry skin, I find that it sucks a lot of the oils out of my face, so I use one specifically for dry skin and only use it once a week-ish. Plus, the philosophy purity made simple has a built in toner, so you really don't need an extra toner. I would cut back on your toner to maybe 3 days a week and use more moisturizer. You should be moisturizing in the morning after you shower or wash your face, and at bed time when you take your makeup off.

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors