Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Acné/ skin care

Lately I’ve been getting a lot of pimples on my chin, forehead and nose, Can anyone recommend me something? I’ve never gotten this much acne in my life! I have sensitive skin especially on my cheekbones, my t-zone is oily and the rest of my face is dry. I need something to fix my problems I can’t even wear makeup without feeling insecure.

RE: Acné/ skin care

Just like me, you have combination skin. Combo skin comes with dry cheeks, oily T-Zone, and we break out from practically anything. Drunk Elephant has been doing wonders for my skin. None of their ingredients break me out and it is the one brand I feel where it truly is worth the splurge. I use the No. 9 Jelly Cleanser at night to remove excess makeup, balance PH levels, and refine pores. I follow that with the Protini Cream to heal my acne scars and moisturize where it’s needed without feeling oily or greasy. In the morning I wash my face with water and apply my Mario Badescu Facial spray and DE’s B Hydra Gel. The B Hydra obsorbs instantly, tightens my skin and works as a great base for makeup without a greasy finish. I hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

Re: RE: Acné/ skin care

Thank you so much❤️

Re: Acné/ skin care

Hi, @Onisela, Has anything changed with your skincare, or any makeup products you've been using? If so, you might be sensitive to an ingredient, and it's causing you to break out. If that's not the case, does your T-Zone break out more, as the weather gets warmer? I have combo/oily skin, and (sadly) my skin routine needs to change with the seasons. Any chance you've been under a lot of stress? That could also be causing your skin to act up.

If your skin is sensitive, you're best off using products that are geared toward sensitive skin. Clinique, Philosophy, and Ole Henriksen make some good products that are usually pretty well-tolerated by more sensitive skin.

Last month was when it all started changing, I started getting “pimples” but they weren’t pimples like red dots, my cheeks began to get red patches and I started to get pimples, what I think made a drastic change was a new products from the company “NxN” I read the ingredients and they claim to be all natural that’s why I decided to try them out. 

Spoiler

@Onisela

I agree with @WiscyKristi, that sounds more like a reaction/irritation than just straight up acne.

"Natural" does not equal "gentler", "safer", or "better" in any way...poison ivy, lead, and arsenic are all natural, and yet they're all things to stay away from 😋 A quick glance at NxN's products shows me they use essential oils for fragrance, but they can be irritating for many. There may be other trigger ingredients for you or others, but I admit I'm not well versed in deciphering a full ingredient list yet.

I'd recommend going back to whatever you were using before the switch, and slowly introducing/testing other new products instead. If you have a Sephora nearby, you can start getting samples of things you'd like to try before committing to a purchase, which can be helpful.

Any recommendations on black heads? 

@Onisela

For blackheads, you need an exfoliant. Salicylic acid (which is also known as Beta Hydroxy Acid, or BHA) is the only oil-soluble facial exfoliant, and it can go deeper into pores than Alpha Hydroxy Acids (which work to exfoliate the surface of your skin). BHA can help clean blackheads out and keep them at bay, which can in turn make your pores looks smaller. Keep in mind it's not a once and done sort of thing...pores are continually collecting more goop, so treatment is an ongoing battle. 

I also recommend Paula's Choice for BHA; the brand has several different formulations and concentrations. 2% is typically a good starting point, but you can go stronger or weaker as your skin allows or needs. The brand's direct site has a promo right now for 20% off and free shipping with promo code JUN2018, but it's also available at other retailers if you have a preference for shopping elsewhere. 

You can also look at other brands...BHA is a common ingredient for many lines.

That's where you may need to deviate from "natural" a bit....I'd honestly stop using the NxN products immediately, and let your skin "calm down"/"rest" for a few days. After that, for blackheads, a good exfoliant would be your best bet. Basically, something with AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid), BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid), and/or Salicylic Acid would be helpful. Products like Paula's Choice BHA liquid ($28 at Nordstrom), one of the CosRx AHA and/or BHA products ($18 - $22 at ULTA), or a mild peel like Philosophy's microdelivery peel will help some with the blackheads. And be sure to use non-comedogenic makeup and skincare products.

Good luck - hope your skin clears up soon!

That sounds like a reaction to something. Usually "purges" (breakouts before something starts working) cause straight-up pimples and whiteheads (or at least, that's been my personal experience). If a more natural, "clean" product is important to you, Origins and Caudalie make some good products that may be worth trying out. My skin is on the sensitive side, and I've had good luck with tolerating products from both brands.

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing