Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

Silicone-free foundations

What foundation do you like that's silicone-free? What are the pros and cons of different formulas?

RE: Silicone-free foundations

I like the I woke up like this by lawless and rms uncoverup! And Kjaer Weis and I wish Sephora would carry it!

Re: Silicone-free foundations

I have tried every silicone free foundation under the sun. I have very dry skin, large pores, and acne scars so I prefer a full coverage. I also am allergic to silicones which is why my skin is so wrecked. I tried the Milk Blur foundation and I liked the medium to full coverage and finish but it couldn't get it to stay longer than 3 hours. I tried the milk blur primer, different primers, and NARS setting powder and it still didn't work. Then I tried Dermablend cover creme and I like it but I'm having trouble getting it to stay as well. The only thing that has lasted is Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer concealor and foundation. It is very thick and can only be applied in a very small amount with a damp beauty blender. I also use the make up forever priming oil otherwise the foundation can get cakey. People have also recommended adding it to their moisturizer so that it isn't so hard to blend. It's expensive but that tiny jar lasts about 6-8 months. I also tried the Juice Beauty foundation but was very dry and patchy on me. It worked beautifully for my 17 year old daughter but she has younger skin. I have a very good skin care routine and exfoliate 3 times a week so these foundations should work beautifully but not all of them do. You can look me up on Instagram as Siliconefreebeautyguru. I put up all new silicone free products that I like. 

Anonymous Insider

I too am allergic to silicones. Actually I am allergic to silica and all of its byproducts such as silicones. I have to make sure I don't have any silica products which is hard because it is in nearly everything! Thank you for sharing some other brands to try. I have used the the Juice beauty products but they don't have good coverage. Honestly, I have yet to find a good makeup that has decent coverage. I will have to try what you suggested though.

I'm confused. Are you allergic to silicon (the 14th element on the periodic chart / found in over 90% of minerals in the planet) or silicone, the word that applies to a group of synthetic compounds which contain silicon? I am not referring to the industrial silicone which are a different animal. I'm referring to cosmetic grade. Since synthesized cosmetic grade silicones are derived from mineral components known to have extremely low allergen occurrences, people are not usually sensitive, especially due to the molecular size. It's just not large enough to enter a human pore and cause an inclusion. This is why silicone is preferred in medical settings. It's considered "safer and breathable."  Cyclomethicones, Dimethicone copolyol, these are flexible and breathable and won't clog a human pore. Carrier oils, glycerine, mineral/vegetable/nut oils have a molecular size that might pass through and might clog, cause an inclusion. If you truly have a silicon/silicone allergy and/or sensitivity, this means that you're actually allergic to a high number of other things around you. You will want to be treated by a dermatologist to ensure you don't come into contact by accident. While we've seen a few docs in our time intentionally spew forth things like "allergy to..." (enter scary sounding culprit here) to some skin condition that's just unresponsive to treatment, once the person has a diagnosis it works like OB Calp, everything improves. But most docs aren't quacks, and most people aren't allergic to the 14th element or a derivative of, rather, it can be a combo of things. I am personally not allergic to any ingredient in a certain moisturizer yet that moisturizer causes me to flush bright red. Why? It is the combo of ingredients blending with my personal chemistry. If you've absolutely narrowed down your culprit through your allergist and dermatologist, you will want to look for a long list other than "silicone-free" because so, so many things were derived from silicon. If you truly want silicone-free, you can make your own of minerals however you'll likely be bumping into...silicon -a 90% probability. So please be careful out there. 

Anonymous Insider

Some people are allergic to silicon/silica in its natural state. I am one of those. I cannot have anything with that product in it. This also means that I am allergic to the sand of the beach. So although it is uncommon and many people are just silicone sensitive there are those that truly are allergic. I have a massive list of different forms of silica that 
I have to cross reference every time I buy a product. It can be a pain!

Silicones absolutely 100% give me cystic acne. And I'm 42 years old. I've reproduced this effect multiple times. No silicones- no break outs. So while someone may not be allergic per se, they still may not tolerate them. 

same and one product worked and got discontinued.  It’s so frustrating. Fruit oils break me out as well.  Sigh 

RE: Re: Silicone-free foundations

Silicone derivatives don’t clog pores because they “fall into” a pore. Pores are clogged because skin cells become trapped in the pore under the silicone (plastic). Since most acne sufferers have poor cell turnover, this is a recipe for disaster. The higher the silicone content, the more “effectively” the foundation lasts but also the more effectively the ingredients will trap oil, cells and bacteria (ever notice how the higher the silicone the more “matte” or “long-wearing” the coverage without all that oil coming through the skin?) Some silicone-like synthetics will also provide similar properties but my general rule of thumb is that the less silicone a product has, the less likely it is to clog my pores. Silicone is absolutely inert and likely no one is “reacting” to it directly but is breaking out for reasons stated above. Silicone-free foundations are next to impossible to come by. I have tried some very “natural” brands that are impossible to find in big box stores. Alas, they provide little coverage. I removed all silicone-based skin care products from my life years ago. Foundation is the only one I cannot seem to part with completely. Since I layer silicone-free products onto my skin prior to base and use foundations with silicones lower in the ingredient list, i minimize silicones in my routine and have seen big changes. Good luck to all. I find the silicone issue to be similar to the “dietary fat makes you fat” issue we dealt with for so many years in nutrition (I used to be an RD and am now an RN). Docs will focus on the inert quality and molecular weight of silicone but rarely address the fact of poor cell turnover and foundations. (Nutrition is at least 25 years behind times as well). Plastics in skin care products replaced heavier mineral oils in the 80s. (Yeah I can remember this) They now call them “non-comedogenic” based on their chemical properties and likely ARE for people who do not have acne (a double edged sword).

Re: RE: Re: Silicone-free foundations

I break out badly with silicone , derivatives of it, fruit oils.  It’s really frustrating. 

I know its not a "foundation" but try IT Cosmetics CC cream. Its buildable/medium coverage with a nice finish and easy to apply. There are no silicones as far as I know and it hasnt hurt my very sensitive and dry skin thats prone to break outs. 

IT cosmetics has so many fruit extracts that it does cause acne.

All IT cosmetic products even the powders had me  break out. They do cause acne.  

plus their cc cream has dimethicone

Yes, there is dimethicone.

Anonymous Insider

It does have silicone in it 😞 I just bought it too I didn't think it would..also the only non comedogenic cc cream they have is the matte one 

All of the IT CC cream foundations have silicones in them. The CC powder is silicone free though. 

The cc powder had other break out agents. 

Which CC cream are you using...I think there are about 3?  Thanks!

The only one I have found that doesn't have any questionable ingredients and is a liquid foundation (harder to find vs a creme foundation) is Juice Beauty's PHYTO-PIGMENTS Flawless Serum Foundation - but sadly Sephora doesn't carry that brand. 

It's silicone-free, and "Formulated without parabens, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. Our products are never tested on animals."

Pretty much anything that is "long lasting" it's going to...

Pretty much anything that is "long lasting" it's going to have silicone on it 😞 I'm also looking for the perfect-probably-not-existent foundation that's: 1) liquid, 2) cruelty free, 3) silicone free, 4) medium coverage and 5) for oily skin....sigh.
48 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing