Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Safe Sunscreen

Hello! I recently have NEVER worn sunscreen. However I got burnt pretty badly this weekend. I bought the Glow Recipe SPF 50 sunscreen and the COOLA organic SPF 50 sunscreen. 

What is your go to recommendation for environmentally safe sunscreens. I know some chemicals in sunscreen kill coral reefs. I want a sun screen that is safe for me and the environment. 

Also, in the meantime, what do I do about my burn? Thank you ❤️

021D5A42-3598-435E-9792-5D0BB51F5734.jpeg

Re: Safe Sunscreen

Hi @robinmaeking! Chemical UV blockers haven't yet been proven to kill coral reefs in real-world scenarios. The whole “reef-safe” thing is based on studies where scientists applied high concentrations of UV blockers to corals. But according to several coral researchers, those concentrations were much higher than what’s actually found in the ocean around coral reefs—even around Hawaii. Those coral researchers say what’s really killing corals is stuff like climate change, land-based runoff pollution, and overfishing, not sunscreen. So, don't worry so much about whether your sunscreen's labeled "reef safe/friendly" or not. Especially if you don't live near a coral reef. 

For environmental friendliness, focus more on whether the sunscreen's container is recyclable or not. 🙂 

Tips for sunscreen use:

• Apply it generously, since most folks don't apply enough. There's no such thing as "a little goes a long way" with sunscreen, and it's better to over-apply than under-apply. 
  • Cover ALL skin exposed to sunlight: ears, behind ears, hairline, eyelids, nape of neck if exposed, wrists, hands, ankles, etc. 
  • Reapply it every couple hours; sooner than that if you sweat a lot or your skin gets wet. 
  • Wear it year round, regardless of weather or season. The sun doesn't stop beaming UV rays on cold or rainy days, and clouds don't block 'em all. 

To treat sunburn: 

• Aloe vera is a great sunburn soother. You can probably find aloe vera gel at your local drugstore, and/or moisturizers that contain aloe. 
  • Hydrocortisone cream is good for very painful or itchy sunburnt skin. Try not to overuse it, though. I always keep a tube of Aveeno’s hydrocortisone cream handy for my skin’s inflammation flares; it also contains soothing colloidal oatmeal. 
  • Cool (not cold) showers/baths/rinses are good. Afterward, apply moisturizer while your skin’s still damp. This will help seal in hydration instead of dryness. 

Hope your skin heals soon! 

@robinmaeking   Ouch!!  Aloe vera gel kept in the fridge is very soothing and provides hydration and lanocaine spray helps with pain. Also putting a set of sheets in the fridge or freezer and pulling them out when you’re uncomfortable at night is wonderfully relieving.   Make sure to drink lots of water with a pinch of sea salt as well;) 

jojoba oil applied in any peeling areas will help fake your burned-away skin barrier and keep moisture in your skin.  

Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++  is reef safe and I believe Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer™ Physical Daily Defense Face Sunscreen SPF 30  is as well.  There’s also a brand called Badger that makes reef safe sunscreen that’s pretty good! 

I love supergoop too, especially as a brown person. It doesn’t leave that ashy feel.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos1
  • 021D5A42-3598-435E-9792-5D0BB51F5734.jpeg
testing