Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

Natural/Cruelty Free Skincare for Dry + Acne Prone?

I grew up with oily skin, but after I started birth control, my skin did a complete 180 and became so dry that, even after dermaplaning and a deep facial, it would be scaly again in two days. I've stopped BC since then and my skin is evening back out thankfully, but it's still on the dry side and yet also mildly acne prone. I will get a few small whiteheads here and there (particularly on my cheeks these days) and then tons of blackheads, which have ALWAYS been a huge struggle of mine.

Right now, I use:
Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil (night)
Youth to the People Green Tea Spinach Cleanser (morning)
Youth to the People Kale + Spinach Green Tea Hyaluronic Acid moisturizer + 3 drops Josie Maran Argan Oil (morning and night)
Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Babyfacial with AHA/BHA (once weekly)

I just bought the Drunk Elephant Babyfacial after using it a few times a couple months ago as a sample and really loving it. Both Youth to the People products are also new so I can't 100% comment on how they are helping. Before that, I was just using Josie Marian products. I did notice a decrease in large acne spots and dryness plus my skintone was a lot better, but I still have terrible blackheads and some white spots.

Just wondering if anyone has a holy grail product that I should try. I only use cruelty free brands (no, Boscia is not), and I prefer more natural products but I'm open to less natural stuff as well, if it's worth it.

RE: Natural/Cruelty Free Skincare for Dry + Acne Prone?

I posted a review of Herbivore's Blue Tansy Resurfacing mask the other day so I'll insert a screen shot, but look towards all of Herbivore's products. I've tried (legitimately) almost everything the sell, and have loved all of them. They are ACTUALLY 100% natural, not mostly natural with minimal synthetics, and definitely not full of synthetics with 2 or 3 natural ingredients.

I just recently found Herbivore and LOVE everything I've tried as well. One thing I haven't tried yet is one of their cleansing bar soaps. Have you tried any of them? I'm looking for a cleanser that isn't going to leave my face feeling dry and stiff.

Re: Natural/Cruelty Free Skincare for Dry + Acne Prone?

I think you should try micellar water. It is so gentle and you get all 3 skin care steps in one product.

ShandaPanda wrote:

I grew up with oily skin, but after I started birth control, my skin did a complete 180 and became so dry that, even after dermaplaning and a deep facial, it would be scaly again in two days. I've stopped BC since then and my skin is evening back out thankfully, but it's still on the dry side and yet also mildly acne prone. I will get a few small whiteheads here and there (particularly on my cheeks these days) and then tons of blackheads, which have ALWAYS been a huge struggle of mine.

Right now, I use:
Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil (night)
Youth to the People Green Tea Spinach Cleanser (morning)
Youth to the People Kale + Spinach Green Tea Hyaluronic Acid moisturizer + 3 drops Josie Maran Argan Oil (morning and night)
Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Babyfacial with AHA/BHA (once weekly)

I just bought the Drunk Elephant Babyfacial after using it a few times a couple months ago as a sample and really loving it. Both Youth to the People products are also new so I can't 100% comment on how they are helping. Before that, I was just using Josie Marian products. I did notice a decrease in large acne spots and dryness plus my skintone was a lot better, but I still have terrible blackheads and some white spots.

Just wondering if anyone has a holy grail product that I should try. I only use cruelty free brands (no, Boscia is not), and I prefer more natural products but I'm open to less natural stuff as well, if it's worth it.

Try REN!! It's the best brand I have come across having sensitive and acne prone skin. This brand has 100% plant based products which are also non-comedogenic.

Also, I think you are using some great products. Youth to the People is a great line, and I think the argan oil is great, so you can just use the pure organ oil by itself at night. The baby facial is good, but you might consider also trying a hydrating mask. 

For you, I would recommend a couple different things. First, exfoliating. I use brown sugar, baking soda and olive oil mixed together. Then, to cleanse, I recommend SheaMoisture, I like the Daily Hydrating Milk Cleanser. Its completely natural. As far as toner, SheaMoisture has a Kuki Nut and Grapeseed Oil hydrating toner that seems to be very gentle. For serum, I would recommend "The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid' or Squalene oil. For moisturizer, I like the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter line and Grapeseed Oil line, and also just pure Jojoba oil. For sunscreen, I like the Honest co. Sunscreen Lotion, and for eye care, sheamoisture has some. I make my own skincare, but as far as products, these are what I recommend, and I have combo/dry skin, and am cruelty free.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
testing