Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

You are not the only one, @Ispend2much6 . Do you happen to have dry skin? Nothing from that line have worked for me. Those products were way too drying and way too harsh for my dry skin. I'd say definitely not dry skin friendly. Even the oil and the balm were drying. I'd wake up to dry, tight, flaky skin while trying to use them ( alone, mixed and/or layered with other, trusted, products... ). The horror! The only product that was half decent was Honey Mud, used as a mask. But, it was nothing impressive really. I am not sure what is it with this line that makes it so harsh. Maybe it's just not good for dry skin. My skin is excellent with natural stuff, it can take on pretty much anything ( unlike with synthetics ). But, these products were just so, so evil to it! I am still puzzled by it all.

And, I agree - that Jasmin Garden stinks so badly! I LOVE jasmine! It's one of my fav scents. ( And, one of my skin's fav ingredients in skincare products. ) But, all I could smell was something rotten and rancid! I thought my sample has gone bad or something. So, they sent me another one. It was exactly the same. Stinky. And, completely useless. It was drying, as well. What in the world?!

@lyravega  I know; I love the scent of jasmine tea, so I figured the spray was a shoe-in.  I haven't read any other reviews stating these experiences, so I thought it was time someone did.  I haven't tried the Blue Cocoon yet; have it in my bathroom vanity.  Honey Mud is on the way.  I was actually hoping that one would work for my son's acne. 

I have very dry skin, exacerbated by a medical condition. So, it's very sensitive.  I do think it may be the citric essential oils plus the baking soda/salt in her products that irritated me.  And, honestly, the reason cloves and cinnamon are wonderful to use in baking is because of their high content of volatile oils, which I guess didn't translate to skincare for me.

Oh, I mentioned it plenty all around, @Ispend2much6 . But, it seemed I was the only one that had negative experience and with the whole line. So, I was just mainly talking to myself like a wacko.

Now I'm quite sure the brand caters to normal - oily skin types only, and is not at all dry skin friendly.

Nothing of mentioned above bother my skin in other skincare products I've tried/use.

Hope you'll have more luck with the Blue Cocoon! And, if that doesn't work, try Mahalo Rare Indigo. Love that one! Or, Leahlani Bless Balm. Both very soothing, calming and nourishing. They are my two fav balms.

Honey Mud was not drying, but it was meh. It did nothing for me. If you're looking for a gentle enzyme mask, I'd recommend Mahalo The Petal Hydrating Mask any time over this. At least that's what my skin loves. And, very much!

Spoiler

It's a luxuriously-gentle beta-hydroxy treatment mask formulated to provide deep hydration and improved texture for a glowing, plump complexion. The Petal’s 28 active ingredients nourish your skin with active enzymes and replenishing nutrients, among which are the sophisticated blend of natural and organic essential oils known for their therapeutic properties, mineral-rich amazonian white clay known for it’s skin toning and revitalizing abilities, and the low molecular weight hyaluronic acid known for it’s ability to sink deep into the dermis to deliver intense hydration. 

The bio-active Hawaiian and manuka honeys are prized for their therapeutic enzymes and unique antibacterial components that encourage instant rejuvenation and nurture skin cells in a potent, lasting way. 

The Blue Cocoon broke my heart a bit.  It's definitely the best ML product I ever used, it soaked in beautifully and was overall just great, but I got a ton of tiny bumps on my skin, especially my forehead, after using it. I kept hoping they'd go away because other than that the product was HG status, but alas, the bumps persisted. 

Oh, dear, that is heartbreaking. @Llgc.  That happened to me with a different skin product, and makeup product.  I guessed it was clogging my pores.  That's so difficult to clear up too.

@lyravega  OOohh, a petal mask sounds lovely!  Thanks for the suggestion.  And, wackoes are the best kind of people. 🙂

And, it's a very generous size, too, @Ispend2much6... 3.4 oz!

Haha, I agree about wackos. 😉

@Ispend2much6  I will second the Mahalo products! I do love them very much. I have some ML and will finish what I have but definitely prefer Mahalo over ML. If your skin is very dry you should try Consonant HydrExtreme. This is a HG for me. Gets rid of dry patches and fast! It's a Canadian brand and not sure why Sephora US doesn't carry it but pretty sure you can buy direct. I think someone once said she contacted the company and they were sending her free samples. Worth a try right. 😉

Oh, wow, @lyravega and @veronika23  that does sound like something I need, at least in the winter.  The closest I've come is Omorovicz'a Gold Rescue Cream, which soothes my skin and deeply moisturizes it.  But, I would only wear that at night. Thank you ladies.

@Ispend2much6 It's a super light ( quite watery, really ), yet extremely hydrating serum you can wear under anything. It feels like nothing on skin! Yet, it packs a serious moisture punch! Serious! My mind was totally blown very first time I've tried it!

I think it's a good idea to contact the company directly and ask for samples if you are interested in trying it. Plus, Costco has it for $65 right now.

I hope Sephora US will eventually start carrying it, too... ( Any chance of that, @KatieBT ? )

@Ispend2much6  yup everything @lyravega  just said! I think it would help your dry skin tremendously! 🙂  Please let us know if you do end up trying it 🙂

I third the Consonant HydrExtreme, @Ispend2much6 ! It is a god send for dry skin!

@lyravega  This must be fabulous, or else you own stock in the company. 😉  Good to know Costco has it. 

I second the Consonant HydrExtreme! It almost worked too well for me. I pretty much only save it for the worst winter days when my skin is crying from the dryness. 

I finally tried my Kora Noni Oil promo last night. On its own, as I always do when testing something new. I was afraid it is not gonna be enough on its own ( for my dry skin ), and I will have to slap something else on top of it in the middle of the night ( as I often have to ). Most oils are just way to light for my skin and I have to mix/layer them with other products. Some are straight out drying. Well... This one is surprisingly nourishing on its own, while being quite light, too. It sank right into my skin, leaving natural finish, subtle glow, as healthy skin should look. My skin felt pretty comfy, not tight, dry, anything. It even diminished some redness in my skin, too. But, I was curious to see what will happen when I wake up. To my surprise, my skin was not dry, tight and flaky as I was expecting it to be! At all. It actually looked bright, bouncy, happy and hydrated. So, first impression - I am impressed by the mere fact the oil was enough on its own! Let's see what happens with every day use. Hopefully nothing bad. 😄

@lyravega  I am pretty happy with the oil so far too!  I've been trying it on it's own too.  It is pretty good. 🙂  I was happy my skin still felt nice in the morning... a little touch less hydrated than usual maybe but that's because I usually have a few products in my routine.

Oh my mask order came today... along with some samples I ordered. YAY! So I decided to make a quick spreadsheet of the sample and some full size I have to keep track... yeah I have over 75 on there and that's not counting my other box of samples... No more skin care shopping for a while!!! 😄 

Yeah, it's a surprisingly lovely oil. So far so good. Glad it's working for you, too!

Haha, well good luck with "no more skincare shopping for a while"! @veronika23 

@lyravega  hahaha thanks!  Hopefully I can stick to the plan I have in my head of trying all these things out!  Doing the same with perfume samples. Just had to get organized 😄

Really wish I could try more than one product at a time though... bummer lol

Well then, get organized and - have fun with it! 😉 It is quite satisfying and fun going through your samples, too! You'll see. You just need to get yourself going. 😉

Dose this oil smell fishy to you, @veronika23 ? It totally smells fishy to me. And, I hate fish! Luckily, it disappears soon after application...

@lyravega  yeah so far I am doing good with the perfume ones so now that I have my spreadsheet ready I should be good to go with the skin care too... It's trying to pick which product to try next 😄

Smells like roses to me 😄

@veronika23 ! Oh my... Decisions, decisions... 😄

I usually smell roses in everything ( because I hate that scent ), but this one just reeks of fish to me ( maybe because I hate fish more! ). I have problems. 😄 

931 Replies
testing