Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

Yeah, @lyravega, true. Luckily it does affect me as much, but I do see it. It's gone by the morning. I typically use this one when I have inflammation or issues on my face. I don't like it more than Blue Coccoon though. I'd repurchase the latter. 

@mrsbaine , I still cringe when someone mentions Blue Cocoon or The Youth Dew. ML line didn't work for me. But, those two were the biggest "offenders". So, so, incredibly drying on me. ( Dry skin over here. )

The Mahalo Balm was quite the opposite - my skin loved it! So much so, that I was even entertaining a thought to get it, and use when I'm home for a few consecutive days. 😄 I am so jealous of everyone who can use it. 😛

I was just talking about Blue Tansy oil in the DIY thread but thought I'd mention it here too. Some things I will spend money on, others I'm totally cheap. I kept reading about all the "blue" products hitting the market and I personally can't justify the price when I look at the ingredients. 

My solution was Amazon and I bought a small bottle of Blue Tansy. It was $25-$30 I think. Well I've been adding it to everything I already use and I'm loving it. It's a natural antihistamine which is a double bonus because I'm an allergy sufferer. I take a tiny drop and tap in under my eyes before bed. My eyes have been a little less puffy, but they just feel better in the morning. I also add it to my cool steam humidifier, oil/squalene mix of the day and threw some in my DIY cleanser. Just wanted to mention it for anyone else on a budget. I was getting FOMO on a lot of the blue skincare but the prices were too rich for me. 

@pixiedust2 I was wondering, how big a bottle did you get, and how would you say it's lasting you? I'm especially thinking it would be useful in our bedroom humidifier once allergy season starts up here again...

@Magycmyste Here's the bottle I have. It's 5 ml and goes a long way. It's on of the more "watery" oils I've ever used and a huge drop/stream fell out the first time I used it. I'm super careful with it now and I'm actually going to transfer it into a bottle with a dropper. Definitely get a small bottle to make sure you can tolerate the smell. It doesn't bother me but I can see it being too strong for some. It's very sharp and herbal, not floral to my nose. Oh and it will dye the inside of your atomizer blue 😂 I hope it gives you some relief. 

And I also made my own inhalers for me and my husband. I used drops of lavender, eucalyptus and blue tansy. You can get them cheap in Amazon. This way I can take it anywhere!

Spoiler
@Magycmyste pictures updates 🙂

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

Awesome! Thank you!

@pixiedust2 , thanks for sharing. That's good to know!

I've really gotten into green/natural skincare in the past 2.5 years.  I will never be 100% either because there are products I do enjoy that aren't 'natural' but I am continually amazed by how well some of the green skincare I've tried has worked.

I'm just gonna list some of my favourite brands, and the products that stand out for me. If you have questions about any specific product I mentioned, just ask 😉

Herbivore Botanicals - mainly their coconut milk soak and the rose hibiscus coconut water mist. I haven't been a fan of their oils or the Blue Tansy mask.

May Lindstrom - I think it's no surprise I'm a fan given some of my posts about it in the luxury skincare thread, but faves include Problem Solver, Clean Dirt and Blue Cocoon.  I'd also say Pendulum Potion but who knows when that stuff is actually going to be released :S

Odacite - the brand that started my foray into green skincare several years ago.  I'm mainly a fan of their serums but I use a lot of them (Summer in Hossegor, Clair de Lune, BlC, JoL regularly, and CAR, PaG, GrG, AcR occasionally)  I've tried other products in the line (mists, the powder mask, and the hydrating mask) but wasn't a fan. 

Mahalo - is a very polarizing line for me, but what I like, I really like.  As I mentioned to Lyra below, the loveliness of the Unveil cleanser is wearing me down and I may have to buy it even though it's so darn expensive. Other mentions include Rare Indigo balm, and their LE Love+ collection, which included the newly released Bean mask (SO GOOD!)

Siam Seas - found them when I was on my quest for a new balm.  Elements balm is softer and more luscious than any other face balm I've tried. It's immensely soothing, too so I often use it after microdermabrasion routines.

H is for Love - my main love is Bara Balm which was also discovered while on the balm quest.  It's a bit thicker than SS but just as soothing/nourishing.  A warning to the pale folks, I do find it stains my face a bit yellow at times, so I only use it at night. There are other products I keep meaning to try but I find their products are often sold out.

Yuli Skincare - discovered while looking into mists; I enjoy the brand but find them on the more medicinal end of the spectrum rather than a luxurious experience.  I enjoy both Cocoon and Panacea elixirs, and their Liquid Courage serum.  I've also tried their ME Skin Fuel but haven't used it enough to warrant an opinion. They recently got a Canadian distributor, so I have a few other products I'm aiming to sample.

Blue Labelle - a small, no nonsense kind of brand. I believe they have a bit of a Moroccan spa thing going on, but I haven't tried the line extensively. I'm a fan of the Raspberry Moringa oil.

Vintner's Daughter - I'm usually not a fan of brands that only sell ONE product, but VD is the exception.  This oil was by far the product that gave me the most significant and ongoing glow of anything I've tried.  Sadly, we discovered my husband is allergic to it and gets rashes and hives when I use it, so I can't use it anymore 😞

La Belle Lune - supposedly a lower cost 'dupe' of VD Active Botanical Serum.  I'm not sure I agree with that assessment, but the Organic Skin serum is nicely hydrating and nourishing in its own right.

Demamiel - a lovely British brand. I've become enamoured of the Restorative cleansing balm, the brightening cleanse and exfoliate and the Autumn oil. They just launched a few travel sets so I'm looking forward to sampling a few other products from the line. 

RL Linden & Co - a smaller US indie brand with a good balance between natural ingredients and an enjoyable experience. Particularly nice are the Bee Charmer mask (like this sooooo much better than ML Honey Mud), the Thousand Petals Beautifying mist and the Whole Lotta Roses dry mask.

Josh Rosebrook - I adore the Hydrating Accelerator. It smells divine and leaves my skin so plump.  I have 2 of his new moisture balm products on the way and am very much looking forward to trying them. 

Jordan Samuel Skin - great skincare at a very affordable price for the quality, IMO.  Many people say his Plie cleanser is a dupe for the Omega Cleansing Jelly.  I was never a huge fan of the OCJ, but I can see the similarities.  My star product is the Hydrate Serum.  I'm curious to see what he'll come up with next.

MUN Skin - love their Anarose toner and have enjoyed their Aknari brightening serum.  Haven't used it enough to validate any brightening claims yet, though.

I feel like I'm forgetting some but I'm not sitting in front of my skincare altar.  Will edit in anyone I've missed.

ETA: V reminded me of Consonant.  For whatever reason I don't think of them as a 'natural' brand, even though they are.  I second the Hydraextreme serum; their vegetable-based hyaluronic acid substitute and their DHE mud mask.

UMA Oils - I only like their Clarifying oil, but I find it quite beneficial for treating breakouts from sampling new products.

Graydon Clinical - a Canadian brand I tried very hard to support, but out of her entire line the only thing I love is the Superfood Mask and Scrub.  It's a travel safe powder mask in a capsule that you can mix with liquid you prefer for cleansing or masking purposes.  Great with honey, yogurt, milk, aloe...

I feel like I should mention Tata Harper, although I only enjoy 2 of her products (Purifying mask and Cleanser) The Purifying Mask is one of my most repurchased masks.  I use it 1-2x a week and am already on my 4th jar.  LOVE this stuff.  Will be very disappointed if the rumours are true and it's being phased out. It was the mask that was finally able to replace my last favourite discontinued mud mask (NUDE Purify) 😞

That's quite a list @Mochapj !

Yes! I am always amazed by how well some of the natural skincare works! Keeps me always want more. 🙂

Odacite, Mahalo... you know all about it.... Josh Rosbrook ( that mist is amazeballs! I need it in gallon packaging! ), Vintner's Daughter ( I call it my "magic potion". Truly amazing stuff! ), RL Linden & Co, Siam Seas ( I've only tried their hair stuff. I do have a sample of the balm, though, but haven't tried it yet )... all fantastic stuff! My skin approves. 🙂

May Lindstrom is the biggest disappointment for me. Nothing in her line worked for me. Those products hate my skin. What my skin experienced leads me to believe that line caters more to normal - oily skin types. It was way, way too drying on me. Even the balm and the oil. Honey Mud was the only thing that was ok, but nothing impressive.

Herbivore hates my skin, too.

Tata Harper... I think I've only tried the resurfacing mask. I didn't like it.

V sent me some samples of HydrExtreme, and I can't wait to try it out!

It's so true @lyravega! One of my biggest regrets when it comes to natural skincare is that I only have the one face 😄  There's always something new I'm interested in trying...

Hydrating Accelerator was such an a-ha! moment for me.  Prior to that I used mists, but if I'm completely honest I never really saw the point because they didn't seem to do much of anything.  When I use HA, I feel and see a difference beyond the aromatherapeutic enjoyment of it.

I totally understand your opinion on ML.  One of my biggest pet peeves in skincare (natural or otherwise) is when brands say every product works for every skin type, because that's just not true.  ML and Drunk Elephant are both guilty of this and I find it a disservice to both the brand and the customer.  The ML products I've mentioned worked wonders when I was dealing with the worst of my cystic acne, but I could never get Honey Mud to work for me and Youth Dew broke me out every.single.time I tried to use it.  Since getting the cystic acne under control last year I've noticed when I do try to use Problem Solver on clear skin, it tends to break me out, too.  Whether that's from bringing stuff to the surface or just being too irritating, I'm not sure but I've since relegated it to problem skin only status.

Herbivore for the most part was bad for me as well.  That Blue Tansy mask burned my face every time I tried to use it.  I use acids regularly so I was not expecting how bad it would burn.  IIRC  their oils are coconut based and coconut almost exclusively clogs my pores so in hindsight I shouldn't have tried their oils.  After the oils, masks, mist and bath soak having such a high rate of failure I gave up on trying anything else.

Tata Harper... something about the brand rubs me the wrong way.  There are plenty of luxury skincare brands and I support a few lines pretty extensively but I feel like the TH line is a lot more pricy than the results it gives should dictate.

I know I said it already but I'm so SO happy you started this thread.  Natural skincare is such a huge passion of mine and I've wanted some place to talk and share.  I never thought to start a thread because most of the time when I've posted my thoughts on some of these products, I felt like I was just talking to myself 😄

So true, @Mochapj ! 😄

True that. Most mists do nothing for me. And, if I'm gonna use them, I want them to be at least hydrating ( that's what I need the most. Additional hydration wherever I can get it. 😄 ). Otherwise I can just use simple water spritzes for easier application of some oils and balms. Or even plain water ( as we used to do it long time ago ). No need for fancy shmancy stuff that does nothing for me. JR HA, Odacite hydrating mist and Leahlani Rubi toner are it for me. With HA being by far the most hydrating and beneficial in other ways, as well. I definitely see and feel the biggest difference with this one, too.

I totally agree about everything you said about brands and people claiming every product works for every skin type. It is a huge pet peeve of mine, too. That is simply not true. Couldn't be farther from truth. Only brands ( they just want to sell, so I kinda get it. But, it's still bleeping me off. ), and maybe people with extremely good skin that can take on  pretty much anything and are not familiar with struggles most of us mere mortals have, could claim something like that. Or maybe people blindly believing everything brands and "gurus" says. I don't know. But, it's ridiculous. And damaging. I agree.

My face hates coco oil, too. I can't use anything with coco oil in it on my face. I am still afraid to try those gorgeous Milk highlighter I got as gratis from Sephora and Milk... But, will have to sooner or later. They are so, so pretty! Over the foundation, and with coconut not being very high on the ingredient list... Maybe it'll be ok. I think it may "only" be about coconut oil based products, like you said. I guess we'll see...

And, I am so, so happy you like it, and talk about stuff here. Feel free to do so, as much as you want. I was sure I am gonna be the only one here, mostly talking to myself. 😄 It is nice to have fellow natural skincare enthusiasts to share stuff with! 🙂

I have a mix of natural skincare products and synthetic chemicals and I love both... sometimes my skin just needs a little chemical boost! 🙂 for me, natural does not mean they work for me...many things are natural and you would NEVER put it on your skin! For anyone interested, you must find ingredients that agree with YOU. Don't go rubbing poison ivy all over yourself now!

My favourite natural skincare products:

Herbivore Blue Tansy mask - I don't think I have ever finished a mask jar/tube before expiry but I'm about to finish this and seriously considering repurchasing. It's my go-to whenever my skin is being difficult and has helped me calm down cysts (not make them go away, but make them NOT get worse)

Tata Harper Purifying mask - my recent preference is to use this after at-home microdermabrasion so my skin can absorb all it can from this mask. My skin feels softer after using this, and the scent is so calming. Reminds me of a herbal balm my aunt (who almost raised me while my mom went back to work) used to use. It's so pricy but I've probably gotten more than 10 uses and I'm only about halfway through my jar.

Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil - this is a relatively new product in my routine; I've been mixing a drop of it in the AM with my Herbivore Lapis oil, and mixing 3-4 drops of it with a drop of another richer face oil (usually Herbivore Phoenix, Fresh Seaberry or Drunk Elephant Maracuja) in the PM. If our body produces squalane naturally, I could see why this is such a great product to use on skin. My skin has been glowing since I started using this product. Very happy so far!

Honorable Mentions:

Herbivore Lapis Oil - I have been trying to use up this oil for almost 2 years. When I first got it, it replaced my Laura Mercier rose oil, which became unavailable in Canada after the warehouse switch. Initially I didn't think it did as great of a job as the rose oil (didn't absorb as well) but after almost 2 years I truly believe this has helped balance my skin's oil production. I can't say that it controls breakouts but it certainly did not cause them for me. I still have about 1/4 of the bottle left and am undecided whether to repurchase. On the one hand, I want to switch back to the Laura Mercier (or only use the Biossance) but I'm always afraid of taking out products from a routine that's working well, fearing that my skin would freak out!

May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon - this is an honorable mention because 1) I don't use it frequently and 2) I haven't even finished a sample size of it. I'm not sure if I'd purchase this, but I have used this whenever my skin is reacting to something...this moisturizing balm seems to calm my skin and prevent further irritation!

Sulphur Springs Mineral Mud Mask - I went to St. Lucia last month and went to the hot sulphur springs and did a mud bath, which really is a must do! The mud comes directly from the springs and is rich in a variety of minerals like sulphur, iron, copper. You slather yourself in mud from head to toe, let dry for a few minutes, then rinse in hot spring water to wash off. The mud is very slightly gritty so as I rinsed, I gently exfoliated...my skin was so soft! And it really helped bring down mosquito bites. Highly recommended if you're ever on the island! Very inexpensive and fun spa-like experience...

@k617 how long did it take for the herbivore lapis oil to lower your oil production? I have super oily skin and I'm pretty desperate to control it right now but I'm not so good with waiting weeks for something to work. Thanks!

@IZ95 I agree with k617.

I know it's frustrating to wait, but the best thing you can do is give it time and be consistent with a routine in order to see results.

nothing more than superficial results will occur within days. It takes between 4-6 weeks for skin turnover to happen and show more significant change.

@IZ95 unfortunately most skincare will need a few weeks minimum for you to even see actual lasting results. You can use other products to help absorb excess oil but changing your skin for the better takes time. I've been tweaking my skincare routine for the last two years, I would say it was noticeable at the 1-year mark but that's only because that was when I noticed it. 

Also remember one product might not do the job, I have a pretty comprehensive routine overall that contributes to healthy skin 🙂

"...many things are natural and you would NEVER put it on your skin! For anyone interested, you must find ingredients that agree with YOU. Don't go rubbing poison ivy all over yourself now!"

Oh, you made me laugh! 😄 But, they are good points.

I'd say that goes without saying, but I guess you never know with people. Maybe I should include it in my main post. 😉

I agree with everything you said. Except most natural skincare products ( no poison ivy here! 😉 ) do work better for me. But, that is just my personal experience with natural skincare. But, there are non natural products that I love and will never give up on using. I simply use what my skin tells me it likes. Simple as that.

We are all different and react differently to things. One should try and see what works best for them. Cautiously! ( And, no poison ivy people! 😉 )

@k617

For sure @lyravega!

My statement wasn't meant to be directed at you or anyone in particular (I'm sure an all-natural skincare routine work well for most people), but I want those who are considering natural skincare to be aware that natural does not automatically mean better--as you mentioned, we all react differently! The key is finding what works for our skin.

Natural things my skin doesn't love so much:

• My lips will freak out if I use any product with peppermint oil in it.
  • My face does NOT like camellia oil for whatever reason. It likes to break out after I use camellia oil products. That means most Tatcha products are a no-no for me (but I don't think they're considered a "natural" brand)
  • algae/carrageenan - this stuff clogs my pores! I try to stay away from skincare products with algae high up in the list.
  • coconut oil - great for cleansing, using on hands but face does NOT like this as a moisturizer (pore-clogging)

Oh, I know @k617 ! No worries.

Oh my, peppermint in lip products is such an evil, evil stuff for me, too! It triggers my lip dermatitis.

And, yes! No coconut oil for my face, either! On my body, yes. But, my face freaks out if I try using anything with coco oil on my face.

Odacite is having a free mask ( the hydrating one ) or exfoliant with $95 orders.

I love me Odacite. Love sooo many of their products. They are one of my fav brands no doubt. But, I can't say I like that hydrating mask, or that exfoliant... at all.

I'm with you; the hydrating mask was (is) disappointing. I am trying to figure out how to finish it. 

What other products do you like @lyravega? I love their serums but haven't tried much else.

testing