Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Marvis toothpaste

From what I see online Marvis toothpaste doesn’t seem to have Fluoride listed as an ingredient, but it’s also not listed as Fluoride free either. I know fluoride is considered controversial but I would rather use it then take a chance of having my teeth all fall out. Can someone please clear up this confusion for me? If I’m going to buy luxury toothpaste I want to make sure it is going to protect my teeth!

Re: Marvis toothpaste

Hi @msbunny 

In a toothpaste like Crest, sodium fluoride is used to attract minerals to teeth to keep them hard and it does some complex chemical conversions that remove plaque.

In a toothpaste like Marvis, they use xylitol, derived from non-genetically engineered corn. Xylitol prevents cavity-causing bacteria from sticking to teeth.

Let's compare ingredients:

Marvis:

Glycerin, Hydrated Silica, Aqua (Water/Eau), PEG-32, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Aroma (Flavor), Cellulose Gum, Xylitol, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Saccharin, Eugenol, Bezyl Alcohol.

Crest:

Active Ingredient: Sodium Fluoride

Inactive Ingredients: Sorbitol, Water, Hydrated Silica, PEG-6, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Flavor, Zinc Citrate, Alcohol, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Saccharin, Carrageenan, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Sodium Citrate, Stannous Chloride, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Benzoate, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Benzoic Acid, Polyethylene, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Yellow 5.

Marvis has ~13 ingredients, Crest has ~28 ingredients.

Sodium Fluoride is commonly used in pesticides and rat poisons. I heard it builds up in the brain, which forms a plaque in the brain. I don't remember the source. I am very happy using Marvis toothpaste - it has fewer ingredients, no color additives, and iron oxides in other kinds of toothpaste are toxic.

I have not had cavities since changing around four years ago. Also, see all the phony colors put in store-bought kinds of toothpaste -- just in that Crest one, there are four. We use toothpaste every day, so these are things to consider. 

I am not sure how they can construe the other ingredients in Crest as "inactive." Perhaps mixed together they chemically cancel each other out. Sodium fluoride exposure causes "hardening of bones, calcification of ligaments, and buildup on teeth and corrodes eyes, skin, and nasal membranes" (Source: Greene Shepherd (2005), "Fluoride", Encyclopedia of Toxicology, 2 (2nd ed.), Elsevier, pp. 342–343.)

Let's look at the difference between the PEGs used in each:

PEGs - Marvis vs Crest

MARVIS: PEG-32. Rating: Good; Categories: Texture Enhancer. Peg-32 is an emulsifier. (Source: Paula's Choice Ingredient Dictionary @ paulaschoice)

CREST: PEG-6. Rating: Poor. Evidence of organ toxicity. (Source: Harvell, J, M. Bason and H. Maibach. Contact Urticaria and its Mechanisms. Food Chemistry and Toxicology 32(2): 103-112. 1994.)

I am really happy with Marvis, and many European products are superior as they have more rigorous standards there as far as levels of toxicity in consumables. A lot of additives in foods and health care are allowed here in the states but are black-listed in Europe. Marvis is made in Italy.

Just something to consider. I love the taste of Marvis and I really enjoy the experience.

I wish you well, whatever you decide.

Best wishes,

V21988😁

I love the variety of flavors.I love the variety of flavors.The mouthwash goes well with the flavors too!The mouthwash goes well with the flavors too!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
Photos2
  • I love the variety of flavors.
  • The mouthwash goes well with the flavors too!
testing