Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

Ingredient of the Week: Sandalwood

Commodity goes to great lengths to sustainably source our ingredients whenever possible. What exactly does this mean? We thought you’d never ask. Let’s follow our sustainably sourced sandalwood from seed to scent to see how our practices can equal a better product, a better environment and a better community.

Our journey begins at the Kanak community in New Caledonia where sandalwood is grown with zero negative impact on their ecosystem, little waste and low consumption of natural resources. By participating in an intensive reforestation program, we also ensure a robust future for this fragrant forest in its natural home.

We use a no-heat extraction method that not only preserves the purity and potency of the scent, but also creates little waste using a 100% recycled solvent for a small carbon footprint.

The result? That concentrated sweet, warm, woody note that continues to make Book Eau de Parfum a fan favorite.

We’re curious, do you consider sustainability when choosing your products?COMMODITY BOOK 100ml (1).jpg

Re: Ingredient of the Week: Sandalwood

I DO consider materials sustainability in my choices - specifically for materials like Sandalwood, which I know have been decimated due to international market demand. [Sandalwood is making a comeback in India and Hawai'i, but vigilance is required.]

Agarwood (Oud) is another one - you can't tell which Agarwood trees contain the oud (a special sap that the tree produces internally to heal "injuries" from insects or other damage), but the older the tree the more valuable the oud inside. Like miners panning for gold, people indiscriminately chop down Agar trees looking for oud that may or may not be there - destroying the trees in the process. Tree farms provide a more sustainable option (tapping the trees, much like making maple syrup), and provide the side benefit of cleaner air and (legal) jobs.

I worry, as the demand for "naturals" in cosmetics, skincare and perfumery continue to grow, that we'll ignore the impact on the environment and local communities where the raw materials grow. 

As consumers, we can help manage this risk by demanding Supply Chain Transparency - the ability to trace the finished product back ingredients back to the raw material sources, in the same way we expect food vendors to reveal how their food is produced, and what farms their products originate from.

I applaud Commodity for being aware of these issues and providing that transparency - and look forward to more brands following suit. 

@bec215 Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with the Community! Transparency is very important to us as well and we will continue sharing information about our sourced ingredients.

Ingredient of the Week: Sandalwood

@Commodity Nice. Is this sandalwood a CO2 extract with CO2 being the solvent? Thanks!

Hi @NatureGirlSD, that's a great question! The Sandalwood used in this formula is an Essential Oil which is extracted through Steam Distillation which does use heat and only water, no other solvents.

RE: Ingredient of the Week: Sandalwood

It’s so important to take sustainability seriously. I commend Commodity for doing so!

@Commodity I really appreciate it when a brand employs methods such as the ones Commodity uses because I don’t want to contribute to the destruction of a region’s ecosystem. Recently there was a thread on BIC that also looked into the human cost of beauty products, meaning the kind of labor practices. I was wondering, in light of how conscientious Commodity is towards the environment, what are the labor practices in New Caledonia and other regions where you source your raw materials? Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us informed!

@LCResz @pocketvenus Happy to help and inform you! The development of this new source of raw material is associated with concrete actions to develop the local economy. The local Kanak population from which we source the New Caledonia Sandalwood is an involved partner which aids in improving their purchasing power and standard of living. 

@Commodity, thanks for getting back to @LCResz and I! It's much appreciated! 🙂

I'm curious as to what is meant by partnering with the Kanak population? In particular, is there some kind of ownership over the land and the resources used or an investment made in Commodity and profit sharing? I ask because I'm Canadian and have lived in indigenous communities so I have observed a very broad range of partnerships with private enterprises.

I'd love to know this too! 🙂

Also, it's good to see more sustainable crops for sandalwood when Indian sandalwood has become so overharvested.

@Commodity I am considering sustainability more and more as I continue to learn about production methods.  So, thank you Commodity, for choosing an earth-friendly method!

Image result for sustainability gif

Book is one of my favorite Commodity fragrances!

Yes sandalwood is good. 

Sandalwood is my all-time favourite scent! I've never tried a Sandalwood perfume before. I'll be sure to pick up a sample next time at Sephora to try it out 😊

Hi @SpaceLlama! Definitely give Book a try the next time you’re in Sephora XOXO  

Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 85 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos1
  • COMMODITY BOOK 100ml (1).jpg
testing