Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Farmacy Green Clean cleansing balm- why does it contain plastic?

I was looking at the ingredients in this cleansing balm, which I really loved when I first tried it but see it has an ingredient called Polyethylene.... I’ll leave it at that- google what it is- a resin that is used to make plastics!   Gross... Unless someone can shed more clarity on this, I won’t be repurchasing..  

Tags:

Re: Farmacy Green Clean cleansing balm- why does it contain plastic?

@Loralar  Polyethylene is usually used as a binder or emulsion stabilizer in skincare. It’s also in some cosmetics. I haven’t seen a study that shows it’s highly toxic or otherwise dangerous in skincare, aside from the environmental effect when it’s in solid microbead form (in some face/body scrubs). It’s not used in solid firm in Green Clean. Farmacy clarifies on their own product page.

That’s not the Green Clean ingredient that worries me. Not at all, actually. It’s all the irritating essential oils that keep me from using that product. I know many folks use Green Clean with no problems, but my face can’t handle the number of perfuming essential oils in that balm. They’re more dangerous (for me) than polyethylene. 

Anyway, you may want to look up clinical studies on polyethylene in skincare and cosmetics to decide if you’re willing to use products that contain that ingredient. Ignore blogs or articles that say the ingredient’s dangerous/bad without offering scientific proof of that claim. That kind of scare tactic is why so many people still think petroleum jelly is terrible for skin. (It’s not.) 

RE: Re: Farmacy Green Clean cleansing balm- why does it contain plastic?

Hi- yes, I hear you. I love the cleansing balm Colleen Rothchild sells- love it - but its $65!!!! I just cannot - not for something to take makeup off .. honestly, I’ve used a cleanser Aveeno makes for years.. very gentle- little to no fragrance - Great for dry skin (like mine) Guess I’ll stick with that!

Most cleansing balms contain microplastics. I assume it has something to do with the overall texture. That's part of the reason I prefer oils.

Thanks for that info @quspork! I didn't even realize that. I use both balms and oils, but I tend to gravitate toward oils.

@Loralar The description for the balm says it also provides gentle exfoliation. Maybe the ingredient is used for that?

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing