Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

Do you guys mind using products with "Snail Secretion Filtrate"?

Before I switched all my makeup to vegan/cruelty free products, I used to use the It Cosmetics CC Cream. I probably purchased 4 tubes not realizing one of it's main ingredients is snail slime. Snail slime grosses me out, but how do you guys feel about it? Would you use products containing snail slime?

Re: Do you guys mind using products with "Snail Secretion Filtrate"?

I, too, just realized that It Cosmetics CC cream uses snail secretion filtrate only after I almost finished my first tube, and that grossed me out.. But then, I haven't found anything as good, and honestly I would rather use something organic/natural than chemical, so I decided to keep using it. The fact that the cream uses snail secretion that means it uses natural ingredients, and that's much better, in my opinion, than a bunch of chemicals that I don't know how to pronounce. I did some research and it seems that snail secretion is a popular natural ingredient for cosmetics and the snails are not killed during extraction, so no worries about animal cruelty if that's a concern. 

RE: Do you guys mind using products with \"Snail Secretion Filtrate\"?

CosRx's snail secretion Essence is amazing. I was quite hesitant at first, but it really adds hydration to my skin. I am glad to have incorporated it into my routine and don't plan to stop. I actually want to expand to other skincare products that carry the same ingredient. I hope you find that it works well with your skin!

RE: Do you guys mind using products with \\\"Snail Secretion Filtrate\\\"?

I also use the CosRx Snail Essence and it has done wonders for my skin. I highly recommend that product. It is a little icky at first but now all I think about is how amazing my skin looks now.

Re: RE: Do you guys mind using products with \\\"Snail Secretion Filtrate\\\"?

I love CosRx Snail Essence as well-I did a lot of research to verify that snail mucinen is extracted in a cruelty-free way and was excited to find out that it is. Honestly, my combo skin loves the stuff. It controls oil, reduces breakouts, and makes my skin feel amazing. I am constantly telling my friends and family to embrace the snail!

Anonymous Insider

RE: Do you guys mind using products with \"Snail Secretion Filtrate\"?

Gross! Lol. I've probably made similar mistakes before making the switch to cruelty free leaning vegan. 🙂 I also avoid pearl powder (Tatcha and most Sunday Riley products, even the oils). Bite lipstick has snail in it too I think. Sad because it looks like a great product otherwise...
Anonymous Insider

I use CosRX's snail mucus and I love it. I haven't looked...

I use CosRX's snail mucus and I love it. I haven't looked into it, but I've heard that the snails aren't harmed.

I LOVE using products with snail mucus! I wish I could just pick up any snail and let it crawl on my skin for the same results. Snail Secretion Filtrate sounds gross and isn't vegan, but I have not had better results with any other "Holy Grail" ingredient. My skin is softer, healthier, and my scars are less noticeable. Snail Slime is something I look for in a product, and having it in the product will increase my chance of buying the product.

I know snail secretion is supposed to be good for your fa...

I know snail secretion is supposed to be good for your face, and that so many people love the it cosmetics cc cream, but I choose not to use items with snail. It's a personal choice you have to make for yourself. Personally I just can't get into it. It weirds me out too much to put snail on my face.
Anonymous Insider

I've heard that snail slime is good for your face, but as someone who has kept land snails as pets, I'd never buy a product made with snail slime. Snails naturally secrete slime as they motor around, but it's only a little bit. To get large quantities of slime, you'd have to keep unthinkable numbers of snails. How would it be collected? Would they be cared for gently and properly? Honestly, collecting slime wouldn't be cost-efficient. Probably, the snails are bred, raised to a certain size, and killed so slime can be extracted from their bodies. Snails are such sweet & gentle, softly inquisitive, quietly charming animals. There are plenty of other humane ingredients we can use to benefit our faces; bypass the snail slime.

I actually looked into how this secretion is produced and learned that they use environmental adjustments to arouse the snails. This produces the slime without harming the snails and they can be used to produce the product for the farm for weeks and weeks. In the past, they basically dried out the snails using salts and vinegar, but this newer method is cruelty free and more cost effective for the farmers!

There are large scale snail farms throughout South America and Italy, as well as other places, and they do no kill the snails to gather the secretions. 

Snail is a very popular ingredient internationally because of its ability to effectively hydrate while also being suitable for sensitive skin. Google "snail in asian skincare" or korean skincare and you'll find a lot of info about what's in it, such as hylauronic acid (a great humectant) and peptides. I've used lots of products with it and have no problem with the idea. Considering it is a filtrate, filtered multiple times to purify it, it's cleaner and arguably more "natural" then some other chemicals in skincare.

If you're concerned about the vegan or cruelty free aspect of it, I suggest looking up videos or articles on the snail farms in Chile and France. Though it's animal derived, it can be collected without harming snails, so it may still suit your ethical priorities. 

Several years ago, I started getting into Korean skincare and there are many products across several brands there that contain snail secretion as an ingredient. Honestly, I love it! It's so good for redness and healing acne. I know it's in the IT CC cream you posted and I would love to see it used more in other Western brands. 

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 36 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos1
testing