Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

Deodorant help

Y'all: I have tried so many natural deodorants and I almost always get some kind of reaction. For about 1 year I have been using Lush (aromaco). It works. I smell good all day. Sometimes I get reactions or yeast build ups or something -where my pits go red or get large red circles. Then after a week it goes away.

I am looking for any suggestions for a good deodorant with no reactions? Thanks!

Re: Deodorant help

I love the Drunk Elephant Sweet Pitti™ Deodorant Cream 2.0 oz/ 60 mL  

it works great just don’t use it right after shaving, wait like 30 minutes. 

Hi!! I have to say, that i’ve tried a lot of clean deodorants and one has worked over and over again. SEPHORA COLLECTION Solid Deodorant in Coconut + Aloe  has worked so well for me!! (I use the coconut one)  No irritation, no itching, and I do not feel funky or sticky at the end of the day. It makes me feel fresh all day and super light texture. 

I only feel that I need to re apply if my day is very stressful or I’m doing heavy outdoor activities.

I wear it to work out, and I do not find myself having any order. 

Something that helped me with the same problem is once a week I wipe my underarms with rubbing alcohol, then rinse. Since I started doing that, the problem went away.

I have been using the Kosas AHA deodorant and it has worked well and without causing me irritation 

I recommend schmidt deodorant it is all natural unfortunately it’s not in Sephora but you can get at target. 

@IFWWW  If you’re getting yeast overgrowth, you may need to use an antiperspirant to reduce the amount of sweat under your arms. Yeast thrives in moist environments. I realize you posted your thread in the clean beauty group, but the aluminum in antiperspirants isn’t harmful (unless you happen to have a skin sensitivity to it; folks can become skin-sensitive to nearly any ingredient). Apply it at night so the aluminum can block sweat glands overnight, and it’ll work well throughout the following day. 

I use Vanicream Antiperspirant/Deodorant daily. It’s unscented and contains no baking soda, so I don’t know why Vanicream includes “deodorant” in the product name. It usually keeps me non-stinky throughout the day. But on very hot days, or when I know I’ll be very active, I apply a little natural deodorant (one of various Routine scents) in the morning, on top of the Vanicream antiperspirant I applied the night before. I don’t need to use much deodorant at all, thanks to the antiperspirant. 

Your reaction might not be yeast overgrowth. You could instead be skin-sensitive to something in that Lush deodorant: 

Spoiler
Bad reaction to essential oils isn’t a rare thing, especially under the arms where there’s skin-on-skin or fabric-on-skin friction all day. If I apply a Routine deodorant with my bare fingers, I cannot touch my face or neck until I’ve thoroughly washed my hands because, unlike my armpits, that skin’s very sensitive to essential oils.

Or I dunno, you might be sensitive to witch hazel; I think that’s also in the Lush deodorant bar. Might be worth some patch testing. 

But if it really is a yeast issue, consider washing you underarms with a pyrithione zinc soap or shampoo, like Vanicream Z-Bar or Vanicream Dandruff Shampoo (both are fragrance free). I tend to get yeast overgrowth on my neck and rely more on ketoconazole via Nizoral Shampoo; I hate that it’s strongly fragranced, but it always gets the problem under control. Whichever you choose, lather the product under your arms, let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinse it off. You might need to do this 2-4 times a week before your skin calms down. 

@IFWWW I highly recommend checking out LUME. I also had a similar experience to yourself with the added factor that most natural deodorants simply could not hold up when I needed them to and I had to reapply multiple times (which isn't always possible). I found that LUME is the only natural deodorant that works for me, I like the lotion form of it and it somehow seems to really work for me. Plus, I enjoy the diversity of how many places this is safe on. Highly recommend checking them out 🙂

@IFWWW  Sorry you’re going through this.  If it is a yeast issue an anti fungal cream can help as well as discarding any deodorants you have been using so you’re not reintroducing the candidia overgrowth.  

A couple people I know have deodorant allergies and get rashes from most all deodorants, and simply use a spritz of AHA toner in the morning  followed by a powder puff application of baking soda. 

The AHAs exfoliant the dead skin cells and keep bacteria at bay while the baking soda helps keep the area dry.  You may need to reapply throughout the day, but it may be a helpful solution for you as well.  
It’s always a good idea to visit your GP to pinpoint what’s actually happening with rashes- especially if they’re persistent.  

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about AHAs and I saw a few deo's with AHAs in them (like Kosas). 

I probably should do better to exfoliate too. 

Thanks again for your suggestions! 

@IFWWW   Anytime:).  I’m currently using the Kosas Beachy Clean and it’s really nice!  It goes on clear, is fast absorbing and has a very subtle vanilla jasmine fragrance which dissipates nearly right away.  It holds up great at the gym!  
The concern is it has a roller ball application which may not be the best idea for direct application if you’ve currently got a yeast overgrowth, so treating that would be priority one, but I do recommend it once you’re healed and if it’s not an allergy rash:). Kosas Chemistry AHA Serum Deodorant Beachy Clean - notes of sandalwood, jasmine, vanilla 

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing