Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Clean Beauty

Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

*EDIT* 

This is a really old post, almost a year old, but I'm happy it was revived because it means people are using the search bar. Yay! HIGH FIVE! I'm not going to edit my previous post, because that would be wrong. I may have written it quickly & jumped the gun. Not all oils are bad, and not everyone will have the same results as me. Everyone's skin is different. Sephora & their employees like to overly promote the "flavor of the week". When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little frustrated with all the pushing of something Dermatologists weren't keen on. 

I would like to add that, I am not using PTR oil-less oil, it's 100% squalane that is sugar derived (not sharks) and it works really well for me. 

What I've recently found out though is that a lot of people are applying oils the wrong way. We were always taught to apply face products in order of thickness: toner/softener-> serum-> treatment-> moisturizer. The thing is oils are heavy, a lot heavier than most moisturizers even though they feel "light". Oils form a barrier and block Hyaluronic Acid and other benefit ingredients from penetrating into the skin. So really, you should be applying your oil last, to lock in all the moisture and benefits from your serums & moisturizer. 

*ORIGINAL POST* 

I've been using Argan Oil on my hair for years & never had a problem Recently I got the 500 pt perk that included her Argan Oil. Everyone raves about it's benefits on the face, so I figured I'd give it a shot since this cold weather has been brutal on my skin. I have not changed anything else in my skincare, or makeup routine. After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash developing on my face near my nose (my dry spot areas). So I did a little Google search and was shocked to see all the negatives about Argan Oil on the face. Argan oil has many benefits in food and on hair, but the FDA has not cleared it for use on the face. Dermatologists freak out when they hear patients use it because it can bring on rosacea and is highly comedogenic. Any oil (natural or not) will clog pores.

I'm surprised Sephora promotes something when it is highly advised by Doctors not to be used on the face. 

RE: Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

I went through a Josie Maran phase where I bought her foundation that I used down to empty and all her oils, cleansing oil and moisturizers and wasting my 500 points on her gift sets that I gave away or never used up. I had to mix her foundation with face oil todilute it down each time though because it was so thick and concentratedso I got a lot of bang out of my buck. Absolutely adore her shade range. I still love that foundation and it’s the only foundation to date that matches me PERFECTLY (COSMIC is sooo me I wish other companies made that shade exactly!!) while still adding luminosity in the winter and kept me protected in winter weather so well if I must wear makeup.However I don’t wear foundation regularly anymore to let my skin breathe more. Honestly her argan oils never worked the best for me and I usea LOTof face oils these days from other brands with my combination aging skin that are amazing and DOESNT clog my pores (I have large pores in T zone area which I tighten up with the products I use so they don’t look so large). I think her product packaging is beautiful. I think the problem with Josie Maran is the line is stuck in a time warpto the idea of Argan oil as the one and only and needs to branch out and be more innovative with other ingredients.

Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

I think argan oil is slightly allergenic for me. I wanted to like it but I don't think it's that great for me. I think everyone's skin is different. I'm sure argan oil is wonderful for most people. I am currently using maracuja oil and squalane as the top layer of my skin care routine, especially at night. so far they seem to be non-irritating for me. I do have very sensitive skin.

Re: Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

I use at least 3 oils a night and have been for almost a year and have absolutely no issues with clogged pores. None. 

@Naomiela i use pure squalane almost every night, and my mom uses rosehip seed oil, with great results (so much so that i probably will be switching out my squalane with rosehip seed once i go through my current supply). neither of us have had any issues with clogged pores; if anything, we both have glowing and hydrated skin! and we both have combo-oily skin. i personally am on the acne-prone side and i havent had any issues with oils. i also love the HERBIVORE - Emerald Cannabis Sativa Hemp Seed Deep Moisture Glow Oil,which i received as a gratis, but has worked remarkably well on my finicky skin for dry patches, redness, and itchiness associated with dryness and eczema. 

@cianni @Naomiela Yeah, argan, squalane, rosehip seed oil, they're not essential oils and are definitely safe to use on your face, unless you're allergic.

MY EXPERIENCE - I had horrible rosacea on my cheeks and very dry, flaky skin under my cheekbones. Desperate, I went to a small local beauty store in search for anything to help the dryness but mild enough for rosacea. The salesgirl highly recommended pure, organic Argan oil. It permanently CURED my skin. 6 years later, I still use it every single day. BONUS - I have no wrinkles ... and I'm 49. People I meet can't believe my age and I always get compliments on my skin. Once or twice a year, I feel my skin mildly flakes off when applying argan oil. I assume it's the antioxidant properties in argan oil. Like a natural, mild peel that helps shed dead skin cells faster. It definitely brings a good glow. Hope this helps.

face oils are amazing and this post about them clogging pores is definitely not true. I would have to agree that the JM argon oil is not my favorite BUT I would use a face oil over an oil-free moisturizer ANY DAY. I love the face oil by Drunken Elephant and also the rose gold- elixir by farsali is also amazing. they make my skin so dewy and wonderful under makeup or by itsself! these products only improved my skin NEVER made my pores clogged and cause acne.

Don't spread lies. Argan oil has a comedogenic rating of 0, meaning it doesn't clog pores at all. 

Also most dermatologists are fools. Knowledge about the skin advances quickly, too quickly for dermatologists to accept it. Their books are slow to update. I'm selecting to not receive notifications of replies. 

Dermatologists freak out when they hear patients use it because it can bring on rosacea and is highly comedogenic. Any oil (natural or not) will clog pores.

Not sure what dermatologist you see but to say *most* are fools and refuse to stay up to date on research is asinine. There’s these things called Journals and doctors read them all the time. I’m married to one so I know. He’s not a dermatologist but I can assure you I would trust his expertise over some internet trained hack. 

Also, regardless if a compound receives a “0” as far as being Comedogenic, ANYTHING, including argan oil, can clog pores if one has a sensitivity. But, hey - what do I know? I’ve only been teaching chemistry for 20 years so I probably am just as dumb as all of those medically trained doctors out there. 

Ya awesome because I almost believed that JM Whipped Body Butter was bad for my skin, pores. But I'm softer and Hydrated more than ever I love this stuff but not on my face. I use Demetri SKINN Products ONLY  on my face. Love love

Googled "red bumps around eyes argan oil " and came across this thread . ive got suuuuper cute red bumps all around my eyes for the last couple weeks and just putting it together with my recent physicians formula argan oil purchase. Not complaining on the product, my face just doesn't play well with such luxereousness I suppose. 

I've been using JM Argan Oil and her whipped butter lotions for several years. Only once did I experience a problem with the Argan Oil on my face. I learned after trial and error that it was the way I applied it, not the fault of JM Argan Oil. If you use other facial products too, you can experience a reaction. In my case, I was using the Oil Olay's moisturizers and eye lift serum.  So I would highly recommend to anyone who uses facial products from any source consider all the factors before ruling it as one item. JM's Argan Oil ... tiny drop in palm of hand ... patted gently on a clean face... does the following for me: calms down any lotion or cream reactions and improves dry skin. I have seen no proof that it helps with fine lines. Use at night especially in the winter when the chances are your home air is dry.

I'm just seeing this now and really curious to see if anyone has updates/opinions. I've been using argan oil on my face over argan milk for about a month at night, and though my skin is extra moisturized I'm noticing the redness in my cheeks has gotten worse. I wonder if it's related?

I just used this face tanning oil and my face turned bright red. I do have sensitive skin but this was unusually bad! And it smells like waffle syrup which I dislike. 😝

I think a lot of beliefs about using oils on your skin are outdated and based on days when cosmetic oils were made from petroleum products or by-products and would clog your pores.  Think of all the old product descriptions that would say "does not contain oil" - meaning petroleum products.  I think the use of plant-based oils on skin has really changed the skincare industry though some brands have been using them for ages (like clarins). I use maracuja oil on my face as a moisturizer and I much prefer it to a mix of chemicals in a jar.  I also think a lot of the mainstream cosmetic companies are integrating oils like argan oil in a diluted form into the products - because why would you buy a batch of chemicals in a jar when you could put something simple on your face. I do think from what I've read though everyone can have different reactions to oils so you have to test it yourself. For examplpe, some people swear by coconut oil and others get cystic acne. I found Josie's oil made me breakout occasionally and much prefer maracuja oil, which I buy from Garden of Wisdom in an odorless form, which is much less expensive than Tartes.  I will continue to use oils as my moisturizer because I love knowing what I am putting on my face rather than trusting that to the cosmetic companies.  Love Josie for introducing me to Argan oil and using oils. I wonder if a reaction to Argan can sometimes be a nut-related allergy?

I know this is an old post but it really helps me so thanks op. I recently decided to try argan oil and didn't experience any immediate adverse effects to make me question it. But after a few weeks, I started getting some increased redness and sensitivity so this helps me narrow down what in my skincare might be contributing to this. 

My boyfriend put argon oil on his face last night and this morning he woke up with blisters and his face on fire.  What can he do  now?  I think he is having an allergic reaction to argon oil! 

My boyfriend used it last night and this morning he work up with blisters on his face and his face is on fire.  Does anyone know what he can do? This sounds like an allergic reacton to me. Thanks.

What type of allergic reaction did you have, if I may ask? I had an allergic reaction because I used it around my eyes & it's like my skin won't return to normal now.

I am using another brand Argan Oil from Oil Republic. It's non greasy and absorbs quickly. It doesnt clog pores at all and I love it.

They also have Shampoos and Conditioners with Argan Oil and its amazing!

84 Replies
Conversation Stats