Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

The Anastasia Beverly Hills Thread

A thread to discuss existing/upcoming/or new ABH products.

Feel free to ask questions, share swatches, intel on upcoming products, etc, etc.

Swatches:

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Re: The Anastasia Beverly Hills Thread

awe thanks @veronika23 @Tamara76! happy to help ❤️

RE: The Anastasia Beverly Hills Thread

Can anyone help me decide on a eye palette? I am torn between modern renaissance and tarte in bloom. Is the modern renaissance palette versatile? Can i create every day looks? Night? Natural? I'm more of an olive tone. I'm also a rookie when it comes to eye shadow application lol. I need advice! I have my heart set on ABH but would like some opinions!

Re: RE: The Anastasia Beverly Hills Thread

@christinagraves it's one of the few palettes i think really lives up to the hype, and it makes you step outside the box a bit too! don't be afraid to play- it's only makeup! it washes off! can't wait to see what you think 🙂

@christinagraves MR all the way, the shadows are softer and easier to blend.  The Tartelette in Bloom is a bit stiffer and needs a bit more effort to blend in my opinion.

@unfungirl  you have MR right?  Do you have thoughts you could share to help out @christinagraves.  

@christinagraves  it was @unfungirl who provided you with all this great info! I did nothing. I don't have it so I couldn't comment. 🙂

RE: Re: RE: The Anastasia Beverly Hills Thread

@veronika23 you're the best! Thank you for your input and advice on how to use it! I had my heart set on this palette but was a little intimidated by it. But the TIB is just not my style. The shade are just not unique enough for me! Lol

Perfectly stated!   Modern Renaissance is a fabulous palette!  @unfungirl 💋💋💋

@unfungirl  YOU ARE THE BEST! Thx! xo

yes @veronika23@christinagraves i am a medium olive skin tone, and i felt that a lot of the tartlette in bloom shades didn't show up on me. the quality of the matte shadows especially was just ok.

i love ABH shadows, and MR is one of my most loved palettes! you can do everyday looks with shades like tempera, vermeer, burnt orange and cypress umber. to do a more dramatic look, use red ochre, love letter, burnt sienna and realgar. if you are afraid of bold colors, and truly a novice, the TIB may be more your speed though. ABH shadows are pretty easy to blend, so it's a good palette to experiment with! There are countless tutorials on the MR too- i've learned a lot about eyeshadow application from youtube 🙂

hope this helps!

Holiday sneak peek

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 4.35.27 PM.png

.........ABH needs to do us all a favor & just bring back the Master Palette by Mario

Yaaaasssss!!!! Thr Mario palette is one of my all rime favorite palettes!   I think everyone should have the opportunity to experience its beauty! 😘😘😘   @ElleElleG

I love ABH Mario!!!

Re: Subculture 

Temptalia just posted an interesting article about the new palette. I find Christine is usually pretty good about staying out of online controversy, so it was interesting to see she posted about Subculture. Looks like ABH will be discussing the palette and any issues, according to Norvina.

Okay, so I couldn't resist and ordered the palette for myself. 😛 Thoughts are as follows for anyone curious:

Spoiler
While playing around with this palette I really didn't experience the issues many people were complaining about. However, I did watch a lot of reviews and kept their criticisms in mind while I was applying my makeup. The shadows are incredibly pigmented, so I went in with just a tiny bit on my brushes and worked with a very light hand. I didn't notice any fallout at all and I think this may be due to the fact I only used the tiniest amount on my brushes. I didn't notice any oxidization either. They do kick up powder easily, but as long as you're gentle with your brush it really isn't that bad. The only thing that I found a bit of work was blending. They're so pigmented that getting them to blend out can take some time and effort. 

I'm not sure if I was just lucky and got a "good" palette, or if these shadows are just so unusually pigmented that everyone is experiencing a learning curve. Had I not deliberately used a tiny amount and a very light hand, I'd probably be really unhappy and frustrated with them as well. They are nothing like any of the other eyeshadows I own, so using them is a bit of an adjustment, but overall my winged liner has given me a harder time than this palette did. I've been extremely happy with it thus far. The looks I've done have come out very strong, dark and sultry, so I think this will be my go-to palette for fall. 

Of all the reviews I've watched, I'd say Stephanie Nicole's is probably the one that I felt most accurately represented this palette (just my opinion though!)

Side note: I've been using the Smashbox Photo Finish 24HR Shadow Primer and then coating my eyelid with the shade Tempera from the ABH MR palette before applying any of the Subculture shadows. I've also been using a mixture of Hourglass and Mac brushes to apply them.

Thanks @unfungirl & @Tamara76! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. 🙂 Now that I tried it I can't help but feel that the criticism may have been a bit premature. There's definitely a trick to it, but I think if people tried adjusting their technique then maybe they'd have more success.

Side note, did ABH ever confirm if there were quality issues? I thought they were initially 'looking into it', but now I'm starting to think this palette is exactly the way they wanted it. 

@Asche i completely agree! i watched stephanie nicole and samantha ravndahl's videos so i was prepared on what to expect by the time i got my palette.

the shadows are so different from any other formula i've experienced, but i don't find them impossible at all! i find applying primer and an all over base shadow helps with blending, and i didn't have any oxidation either. 

I completely agree with everything you said about Subculture!  @Asche  💋💋💋

It is a beautiful palette, but a little goes a very long way!   I trust Stephanie Nicole's reviews and Wayne Goss and Emily Noel also expressed similar sentiments. 

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I'm curious to see what happens with this.

I must say though, although I really like the ABH brand, something about Norvina's attitude/responses have been rubbing me the wrong way. :S

T's initial agreement with one of her commenter's post about the palette being "high maintenance" is why I ultimately decided not to buy. I'm not a daily shadow user, nor am I very good with applying and blending shadows, so I doubt I'd reach for this very often.

If the texture of Subculture were anything like Modern Renaissance, I'm sure everyone would love it!

testing