cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

~ Updated Sept 26th 2019 ~

Since the brand is coming to Sephora. I thought I'd start a thread just for the brand for news and info. 

Brand page: https://www.sephora.com/pat-mcgrath-labs

NEW PRODUCTS

Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/blitz-astral-quad-P451138

Obsessive Opulence: MatteTrance Lipstick

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/obsessive-opulence-mattetrance-lipstick-P451132

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/mothership-vi-eyeshadow-palette-midnight-sun-P449790

Eye Ecstasy: Eye Shadow Palette Mini

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/eye-ecstasy-eye-shadow-palette-P448447

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-P447519

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Primer

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfecting-primer-P447764

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Setting Powder

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-setting-powder-P447770

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-brush-P448622

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Powder Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-powder-brush-P448623

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Re: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

@makeitup305  My thoughts exactly. We'll have to compare notes on the primer. 🙂 

@WinglessOne Which one do you currently use? I'm currently using a Smashbox tinted one that I found at a CCO which I like. I also have the Gerard Cosmetics which is a little messier for every day but I like it since it's quite pigmented. I've like the Milani and the UD. I tried the about-face and it worked of a bit but then dried out too quickly.

@makeitup305  Which Smashbox primer do you use? My all-time fave, Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish primer (in the silver tube), was recently reformulated to Smashbox Photo Finish Intensify 24 Hour Eyeshadow Primer 0.34 0z / 10 ml. I don't like the reformulation: it doesn't perform for me nearly as well as the original. So for now, I'm rationing my 1.5 tubes of the old formula and testing other options. 

Sometimes I still use a MAC Cosmetics Pro Longwear Paint Pot or Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow Stick Taupe (or other shade) as a lid primer. But I'd prefer something grippier for certain shadow formulas (like Pat's shadows). My main reason for using primer is to stop shadow from creasing and transferring on my hooded eyes. Boosting shadow opacity/vibrancy is a bonus. 

Last week I tried e.l.f. Shadow Lock Eyelid Primer. I gave it a hard task: hold Unearthly Cosmetics All I Ever Wanted shadows on my lids and don't let it crease. The primer did prevent fallout throughout the day (that palette's full of duo/multichromes, many of which are sparkly) and I had less creasing with it than I used to get with Urban Decay's eye primers—but the shadows did still crease. I haven't tried Milani's yet but it's on my list. I'm curious about MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Eyeshadow and Concealer Primer after hearing glowing and ranting reviews from friends about it; seems to be a polarizing primer. 😄 Oh, and I still haven't tried the tube of MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base 0.4 oz/ 12 mL sitting on my desk... note to self! 

@WinglessOne I have the Smashbox Lid Photo Finish primer, which has long been discontinued I believe but I found it at a CCO when I was there at gave it a shot. I'm sad that it's gone, I quite like it. The old Smashbox in the tube was good, too. I haven't tried the new one. The Milani is pretty similar to the UD I would say. I actually didn't realize Milk had an eye primer. I need to try a sample at least. I currently have the Karla Cosmetics Fix Potion in my cart on Camera Ready Cosmetics and it intrigues me, especially since they do so many loose shadows. It might be the way to go for some of my chunkier indie shades.

@makeitup305  Ah, that non-"24 hour" Smashbox primer never worked well for me. Neither did the old Too Faced Shadow Insurance, which is why I'm hesitant to try the new (and probably reformulated) Too Faced Shadow Insurance 24-Hour Eyeshadow Primer 0.2 oz / 5.7 mL . Too Faced Glitter Glue did work pretty well on my lids and I'm surprised it was discontinued. 

I'm adding the Karla Cosmetics primer to my Try It list. Also need to try Linda Hallberg's Til the End primer. I'm really hoping MAC's does well though, since I can easily repurchase it anytime—especially at Ulta and Nordstrom, where it'll cost me nothing out of pocket. 

@WinglessOne @makeitup305 @@MAC prep and prime 24 hour eye base is the only eye primer I use and love and keep repurchasing. 

@SportyGirly125  Good to know! I need to move that primer to my eyeshadow shelf so I’ll remember to try it next time I put anything on my lids. 

@WinglessOne I actually just clicked "buy" on some Karla Cosmetics since Camera Ready had a sale. I'm looking forward to trying it and their other products. I never tried the TooFaced. I use the Nyx Glitter glue and the Kaima cosmetics glue also. I've heard good things about the Lit glitter glue, also. I rarely buy MAC anymore, the whole brand just seems to be so meh lately. Let me know if you like it, though. The last primer on my list is the Inglot Eyeshadow Keeper, such an underrated brand. It has a tint which is a plus for me. I don't have oily lids, more on the dry side if anything (plus a dry climate). I mostly get creasing with "heavy" shades like indie brands or some PMG & ND shimmers.

@makeitup305  Inglot is also on my list. It’s been a long time since I bought anything besides Duraline from that brand, but their AMC liners are still my favorite gel pot liners. 

My lids are also on the dry side, except right in the crease where oil collects and apparently stays. 😂 I kinda wish that oil would transfer to my whole lid so I wouldn’t get flaky dry patches. I always have to moisturize my lids along with the rest of my face. I also have to make sure eye primers don’t contain anything I know my skin hates, and hope they won’t dry out my lids. That makes trying all these primers a challenge. But hopefully I’ll find a couple worthy replacements of my old fave. 

@WinglessOne I’ll report back once I get the Karla Fix Potion. I’m super intrigued by it. I was looking at ingredient lists for various eye primers yesterday and for most of them it was pretty minimal but the Milk one had so many in comparison. I wonder if it’s because it’s also supposed to be able to be used under the eyes? The reviews were pretty mixed.

@makeitup305 @WinglessOne I'm going to join in here and ask both/either of you (because I can't seem to find an eye primer that I love) but have either of you seen any grippy or sticky eye primers that are actually tinted?  I actually prefer an eye base that's lighter than my skin tone--not necessarily stark white, but something that still makes the eyeshadow pop a little against my skin--but I wear enough sparkly shadows that I really like having more of a tacky primer like the Nyx Glitter Glue.

@CookieGirl1  I can’t think of a grippy primer with a nearly white tint… it’s been years since I used NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base so I don’t know if it still comes in different tints—but that primer’s not very grippy. It’s great at creating a smooth base to work on, and it did reduce creasing on my hooded eyes. But I switched to Smashbox’s primer because I needed something with better grip. So I don’t think the NARS primer is what you want. 

If I do find a good option, I’ll let you know. 

@CookieGirl1 I honestly don’t know of any tinted tacky ones. I even looked just now and can’t come up with any. I know that you can use the Lit Water Resistant Glitter Base over a base and it’s not supposed to smudge it, so maybe you could try that over concealer? 

@makeitup305 yeah, I've been using the Nyx Glitter Glue over a concealer but it would be nice to find an all-in-one.

@CookieGirl1 I couldn’t believe that there wasn’t a single one tbh. Not that I found, at least.

IMG_0275.png

Is anybody picking this up? I caught it on the 30% off "glitch" and still couldn't bite the bullet. 

If she ever comes out with a pastel palette that would be the one I would be skipping 😂 @makeitup305  I didn't get that one from ND or tropic (I really liked & only wanted the bottom row, but the reviews were so bad for those shades. I did get the tropic mini) so I can say no but it's hard. She can make all the greens/purples she wants though! 💚💜Even take some blue at this point!

@sonnydee I'd take some pastels 😉 I'd definitely go for some more greens and purples. Green was everywhere in eyeshadow for a while and purple looks good on almost everyone so I need her to step it up. I'd love it if she did some Blitz quads again tbh. I doubt she will, since she's not even doing the baked shades in the big Motherships anymore.

@makeitup305 @They keep sending me a 25% code but I still have not bought anything from the site. 

@SportyGirly125Don’t blame you. I skipped on the bronzers and cream blushes as well. My last order from her was over the holidays. 

8,508 Replies
testing