cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

~ Updated Sept 26th 2019 ~

Since the brand is coming to Sephora. I thought I'd start a thread just for the brand for news and info. 

Brand page: https://www.sephora.com/pat-mcgrath-labs

NEW PRODUCTS

Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/blitz-astral-quad-P451138

Obsessive Opulence: MatteTrance Lipstick

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/obsessive-opulence-mattetrance-lipstick-P451132

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/mothership-vi-eyeshadow-palette-midnight-sun-P449790

Eye Ecstasy: Eye Shadow Palette Mini

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/eye-ecstasy-eye-shadow-palette-P448447

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-P447519

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Primer

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfecting-primer-P447764

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Setting Powder

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-setting-powder-P447770

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-brush-P448622

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Powder Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-powder-brush-P448623

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Re: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

Thanks @Sunnysmom !

Awesome, thank you, thank you, I love the sparkle! Is that the silver or the champagne highlighter? @makeitup305 

@sister13 the two new shades in the collection are the silvery champagne and a very deep yellow gold. This one is the lighter of the two. 

Okay, thanks so much @makeitup305 - I was thinking that silver was going to be more silvery, but still very pretty!  I went ahead and ordered! I suppose I can always gift them if I'm not completely thrilled! 

@sister13 hope you love it!

Some more pictures just in case

C163943E-0B8C-48F6-A18C-AB5E9C272FFF.jpegD4470728-1413-4A20-A573-977FA5399863.jpeg

Spoiler
97CF2B9B-151F-4DD8-8E15-5E3A69E9D50D.jpegHighlighter by itself, over the cream highlight, over the cream and the balmHighlighter by itself, over the cream highlight, over the cream and the balmDAD46A2C-8448-4B66-9980-19E0FBA3C5BC.jpeg

@makeitup305  Ah, now I see what you meant about the Bridgerton highlighter being so sparkly. Your additional photos definitely make it look as silver toned (eh, not quite silver but a very cool toned champagne) as I thought it'd be. It still looks good on you though. And in direct sunlight, it seems more pale champagne than silver—though also sparkly. Interesting. Thanks for the swatches! 

@WinglessOne it was hard to capture exactly what I could see in person. It think it still works on me, it's just not what I expected.

A few of the PAT McGRATH LABS Bridgerton Divine Blush + Glow Trio: Love at First Blush  items are listed as coming soon 

PAT McGRATH LABS Bridgerton MTHRSHP: Diamond of the First Water Eyeshadow Palette 

Looks like the highlighters are a PMG exclusive

My order just arrived today, better late than never, I guess. Sadly, I'm kind of disappointed in it.  I got the eyeshadow palette and the lighter highlighter and I'm not very impressed by either. The pans in the eyeshadow palette are quite smaller than the previous 6 pans (although 2 are baked and 1 is an astral) and the packaging feels cheap to me, compared to the ones from a few years ago, which I still have. The mirror is smaller, the pans sit in cardboard not the lacquer-looking plastic, and the top flap of the palette is thinner than in the previous ones. The highlighter is really gold on me and so much sparkler than the holiday version. I wish I'd skipped it, tbh. I might try to sell them since they're currently OOS. 

Is it just me nitpicking? Let me know what you guys think. I think the colors in the palette are pretty but really nothing special for PMG with the exception of them being baked gelee shades in it.

0111222056.jpg

 Here are my swatches of the eye palette & the lighter highlighter for those interested.I was pleasantly surprised of the shade of the highlighter. I thought it would be more silvery. Cross posted from haul thread. @makeitup305 i get what you are saying. Fomo got me with this one but i also have read the books & watched the series. I don't mind the lighter palettes & this would be a almost complete face palette for me to travel with. I wouldn't dare travel with my motherships😬

But I do LOVE the black lacquer quads. Hope everything works out for ya

Looks very flattering on you @sonnydee ! 💞

I still haven't gotten mine, but I've been watching a few reviews of the palette and I'm still excited. I'm sorry to hear you were underwhelmed, @makeitup305!! 

I think as far as pricing goes, I think the smaller pan size is a good compromise (it's the same price as rose decadence) to get two baked/one astral shade, made in Italy and the price of all goods and shipping is going up (partially due to supple chain shortages as @Samtian mentioned). Plus the collab property rights. While I don't think it looks great with the smaller pans in the larger packaging, keeping it size consistent is nice too.

Also totally agree with @WinglessOne one the mirror and cardboard packaging. 

I'm not a collector and I don't have any mothership palettes, so while I agree that there's been a lot of pink lately (seriously where's my green/blue galaxy themed palette?), for those of us who don't have any of the larger ones, it's a cute palette to get some pretty pink shadows and that astral. But I can also totally see how it would be redundant. I think that unlike the ND minis, the PMG 6 pans serve as an instead of not an addition to. 

Great points @haleyvvvv ! I’d forgotten the collab rights too so that makes sense. So many factors at play on supply issues for sure as well.  Yes please to the greens and blues, agree 💯!! 

I think I feel kind of neutral on it @makeitup305. I hear you though. I don’t mind the lighter packaging as @WinglessOne also said and I never use the mirrors either but they are small and it does feel a little bit less than :(. I liked the idea to use the pinks as blush but…again,  pretty small for a brush. The lighter highlighter was surprisingly sparkley to me as well. I much preferred holiday’s. Sigh. Oh well. I’m kind of thinking maybe I’m just a bit disappointed lately with her releases in general compared to her photos and videos. I haven’t bought her shadows in quite awhile.  So maybe I’m not so neutral. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Lol But I will try and use it as I have almost none of these shadow colors and the hype did suck me in. 😖And they do still have the cute factor. The highlighter is very pretty to look at too I suppose. 😊

@Sunnysmom I have most of her palettes and I think I just expect to be wowed every time because it's PMG. I probably the brand less slack because of the price as well as previous experiences. I'm going to try the highlighter over a cream highlighter tomorrow and see it that makes it a little smoother. She has a note on her product page recommending the use with a wet brush or over the Duo Highlighting Stick so I'll try both. 

Oh those are good ideas thank you @makeitup305 . I suppose I could have discovered that if I’d read it! 😂🤦🏻‍♀️Let me know. I don’t have the duo stick tho I do a WA so I’ll try that as well. 💞

@makeitup305  Aw, sorry you're disappointed in your purchase. I don't think the palette shades are all that special either—yet more pinks—so I was surprised the palette quickly sold out. I hope you can offload them. 

I'm probably in an extreme minority but: I don't mind seeing PMG palettes in cardboard packaging with less or no plastic, and with smaller mirrors (if any mirror at all). Heck, I'd be fine with the Motherships sitting in cardboard instead of bulky plastic that's harder to recycle. Plus, that packaging change might help lower the Mothership price tag. 😄 I'm usually more interested in the product than the packaging that surrounds it, unless the packaging has usability flaws (like that dang MTHRSHP drunk venus flytrap closure). And considering how many plastic lipstick tubes I've collected over the decades 🤦‍♀️, I like opportunities to reduce my plastic waste. Sure, I still try to recycle as much beauty-related plastic as possible via brand-sponsored programs and TerraCycle, but the real solution is to not consume so much plastic in the first place. 

Also, I don't like mirrors in palettes: I prefer to use my own separate mirror at home. For travel, I always pack Simplehuman's travel-size folding mirror which works better for me than any palette's mirror (eh, blame my old lady eyes). And I hate holding a palette up to my face while doing my makeup. I never ever use the mirrors in eyeshadow palettes. Again, I realize I'm probably one of very few folks with that quirk. 

I do fully understand why folks are disappointed in PMG's recent smaller pan sizes, though. No one likes to pay the same or only slightly less for considerably less product than usual. I wonder if this will become the brand norm. 

And those 2 highlighters... I waited til swatches were available before deciding whether or not to buy, and yeah, that gold highlighter's waaay too sparkly. I mean, it's beautiful and is probably a fantastic eyeshadow, and I'm sure there are people who'll occasionally use it as a highlighter. But for me, it'd just be a giant pan of gold eyeshadow that's very similar to a previous PMG gold. The silvery champagne highlighter looks like it wouldn't be a good match for my skin tone(s), so that's a pass for me. 

@WinglessOne I don't mind a cardboard package at all or even a lack of a mirror, but if it's going to be cardboard, the price should reflect it (like in the large holiday palette, which is a great deal). She's kept or increased the price of that 6-pan vs previous years, but reduced both the quality of the packaging and the pan size. It was the same thing with the holiday quads. I'm happy that the quality of the products has remained constant but part of paying luxury prices is the luxury experience, imo. I bought the lighter of the two shades and it doesn't look anything like the swatch on her site, it's much similar to something like Nars Albatross on me than a "platinum gold".

I wouldn't even mind the smaller pans if they were more direct about it, but they're putting them in the same size packages as previous releases so it's very obvious in person but not as much in pictures. 

I've gotten emails from at least 2 brands this year letting me know that their prices were increasing, and I actually like that. I'm sure the cost of materials, shipping, and labor has increased a lot over the past two years, so I understand why it's necessary and appreciate a brand letting me know beforehand. 

@makeitup305  Yeah, I'd hope that simpler packaging would result in lower pricing. I know nothing about the cost of palette manufacturing, but I assume it'd be cheaper to create cardboard casing than plastic casing—even if the cardboard is printed while the plastic is kept plain black. That's why I wonder if this and the smaller pans will become normal for PMG's non-Mothership palettes. If pricing won't be adjusted to reflect those changes, that might deter my future purchases. I mean, I'm sometimes willing to pay more for environmentally friendly packaging, but not for less product. 

Ah, for some reason I thought you bought the super gold highlighter. Since it's actually the lighter silvery gold one, it's good to know it's also very sparkly. Another giant pan of eyeshadow. 😄 

I've also gotten some price increase notices from brands. That kind of transparency is greatly appreciated. I get why some brands don't want to tell customers "hey, we're reducing product sizes but not prices" (I can imagine the internal company team battles over that) but that'd also be good to let folks know upfront. Even if the new sizes/amounts are listed on product pages, it'd be nice if brands called them out/brought attention to them as a change. 

testing