cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

~ Updated Sept 26th 2019 ~

Since the brand is coming to Sephora. I thought I'd start a thread just for the brand for news and info. 

Brand page: https://www.sephora.com/pat-mcgrath-labs

NEW PRODUCTS

Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/blitz-astral-quad-P451138

Obsessive Opulence: MatteTrance Lipstick

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/obsessive-opulence-mattetrance-lipstick-P451132

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/mothership-vi-eyeshadow-palette-midnight-sun-P449790

Eye Ecstasy: Eye Shadow Palette Mini

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/eye-ecstasy-eye-shadow-palette-P448447

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-P447519

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Primer

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfecting-primer-P447764

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Setting Powder

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-setting-powder-P447770

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-brush-P448622

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Powder Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-powder-brush-P448623

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Re: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

@WinglessOne I work in manufacturing, sadly not palettes! And I can say it's getting hard to get supplies. We've had shortages on different ingredients, like sugar and potatoes! Wood pallets have tripled in prices. We've had to change suppliers on 1 ingredient 3 different times in the last few months because of shortages and them not being able to keep up. It's definitely a crazy time for us all. I imagine they have similar problems. 

@Samtian I order wood pallets too for work and the price we are paying for them is crazy. 

Thanks for the input, @Samtian ! Sorry you've been snagged in the whole shortage mess. Wood pallets... there's something I hadn't yet considered. I can see how the price hike on those plus a national shortage of truck drivers (which could be a reason it's taking some products so long to ship out to people; I mean, products don't just magic themselves from a factory to a distribution center) can cause some of the product changes we're seeing lately. 

I wondered how badly PMG and other brands have been affected by shortages, and how much that's affected pricing vs. product amounts. I'm so genuinely curious now, I kinda wanna find out exactly what goes into creating one of those eyeshadow palettes. 😄 Where does PMG get their cardboard/card stock from? How much does it cost lately? How easy or difficult are they to print, and what's the cost of printing these days? How does the overall cost compare to that of the 10-pan plastic palettes? What about the ingredients needed to manufacture the eyeshadows themselves? And see, this is how I end up down a deep rabbit hole at 4 AM with 30+ browser tabs open, looking up and reading lots of stuff, collaborating  corroborating [edit: gee, thanks auto spellcheck for sneaking in the wrong word there] what I've read, writing my own abstracts... I'll be shocked if there aren't any videos on how makeup is made and distributed. I know what I'll be watching and reading this weekend. 😂 Thanks for the research topic! 

@WinglessOne I would love to hear what you find out!

OMGosh, you sound just like me, @WinglessOne , when I get my mind set on a topic! 🤣

@WinglessOne @makeitup305 I got the gold highlighter from the collection but that was the only thing that stood out to me.  I want to use it as eyeshadow.

@SportyGirly125 I think that one is going to look stunning when foiled. Using something like Duraline or even just water will probably make it amazing all over the lid.

@WinglessOne I'll probably post some swatches tomorrow of both the palette and the highlight in case anyone is interested for the restock. I just got them this afternoon and didn't get to swatch them in daylight. I remember hearing that the highlight worked best over the duo so I'm interested to see what that does. I was hoping it was a more silvery champagne shade and that's how it appears online but in real life not so much. I want to see what it looks like in daylight before I decide what to do with it. Also, if PMG never releases a pink or a gold again, it won't be soon enough. I don't understand how this legendary MUA is stuck on these two colors for almost 3 years. If you compare her latest releases to the first 3, even 6, Motherships, the color stories are uninspired IMO. Great quality, beautiful shadows, but it's missing a spark of uniqueness. Pink sells, I guess. I can excuse it of Charlotte Tilbury but not PMG.

Would love swatches @makeitup305 ! Following your convo with @WinglessOne though I passed on everything from this collection until later in the afternoon when my resolve waned but it had all sold out, to my surprise! I might love sparkly if it restocks! 💕💕@makeitup305 

@sister13 I'll tag you tomorrow! 

@makeitup305  1000% agree on Pat's obsession with golds and pinks. Hell, even if she just left pinks alone for a while and kept including a gold in each palette, that'd be fantastic. Some people have defended her string of pink/rose palettes—especially the last Mothership—with "well, the brand has to cater to the general public and most people love neutrals and pinks." And if this was nearly any other MUA, I'd agree. But it's Pat McGrath. Do so many people really expect safe pink-after-pink color stories from Pat? I mean, if I expect anyone to release a palette with a unique or unusual color story, it's Pat. In the last 2 years, Natasha Denona's given us Triochrome (which I passed on because it's too pastel for me, but it's still unusual) and Circo Loco (which I love) while Pat's been stuck on pinks. 🙄 It's beyond time for her to move on to other colors. 

Anyway... I'll be interested in your highlighter swatch! 

@WinglessOne I feel the exact same way. Charlotte Tilbury and Huda Beauty: more pinks? Sure. PMG? Come on, especially after Divine Rose, Divine Rose 2, various quads, pinks in the holiday palette, etc. Her last not pink heavy palette was Midnight Sun, which was quite a while ago. I do really like Huetopian and picked it up because I didn't buy DVR2 and have skipped all the other pink palettes and quads since DVR1. I want more blitz greens and purples or various tones of either even in matte or metallic shades. Like a full size Mothership of that Blitz quad from the first time she released them.

@makeitup305  A 10-pan Mothership of all blitz and astral shades would be AMAZING and I'd pay extra for it—unless it was a very pink color story. 😂 

I also picked up Huetopian Dream because that dang multichrome kept calling to me, and I got a birthday gift card in time to take advantage of PMG's holiday sale 30% discount on my order. Even though the palette cost me nothing out of pocket, it's... a lot of pink. I just recently (finally) picked up the artistry wand, so I can finally play with the palette without relying on glitter glue. Eh, the palette will probably grow on me beyond that one shade. I still love Midnight Sun, but I remember people not liking that color story—and I wonder if the reaction to that palette is partly what's driving PMG to stay in the reliable crowd-pleasing pinks lane. Sigh. 

I've heard from some YT videos that people are disappointed in the smaller sizes of the pans. It seems that every commodity is making things smaller and raising the price. @makeitup305 

@curlychiquita this is the second of her most recent releases that I've been disappointed with. I think she's avoiding raising her prices by reducing pan sizes and skimping a bit on the packaging. I think I'd rather her raise the price a few dollars and keep it as it was (although some of her previous packaging has also been less than optimal for the price

@makeitup305 Oh no, that's such a bummer that it didn't work out for you as you'd hoped. Sometimes, I find it's better to skip those high-hoped-for big releases so I feel your sentiment in being underwhelmed by a beauty product. However, I don't think you're being nit-picky (and even if you are, a bit of nit-pickiness is healthy when it comes to shopping and beauty products). I personally like to hear the good and the bad about a product and was really eyeing this collection (but I'm on a low buy and there's just no way to remotely justify another highlighter to myself) so it's nice to live vicariously and also refreshing to hear a constructively honest review about a product. Thank you 🙂

@QueenMarceline i saw some reviews that did mention the size of the pans but it was more than I imagined when I saw them in person.  Not as small as the quads that she released for the holidays (which I returned) but still. I don't think any of the people I watched commented on how cheap the palette felt. Someone did mention that the new highlighter was sparklier but I was still surprised, since I loved the holiday one.

@makeitup305 That is truly very unfortunate 😕 the release looks beautiful online.

@QueenMarceline there's nothing wrong with the quality of the shadows, they swatch stunningly. The pink shades are also meant to be blushes, which I think is great, but the pans are quite small for a blush brush.

200 (1).gif

 After checking every day & being on the lookout that UPS was going to randomly come-they have done that before- I got my shipped notification for PM x Bridgerton collection💙💙💙💙 

Has anyone else NOT gotten shipping notification for their PMG X Bridgerton order because sadly I'm in that camp. 

niki172_2-1641633926514.png

10 Replies
testing