cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

~ Updated Sept 26th 2019 ~

Since the brand is coming to Sephora. I thought I'd start a thread just for the brand for news and info. 

Brand page: https://www.sephora.com/pat-mcgrath-labs

NEW PRODUCTS

Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/blitz-astral-quad-P451138

Obsessive Opulence: MatteTrance Lipstick

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/obsessive-opulence-mattetrance-lipstick-P451132

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/mothership-vi-eyeshadow-palette-midnight-sun-P449790

Eye Ecstasy: Eye Shadow Palette Mini

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/eye-ecstasy-eye-shadow-palette-P448447

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-P447519

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Primer

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfecting-primer-P447764

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Setting Powder

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-setting-powder-P447770

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-brush-P448622

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Powder Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-powder-brush-P448623

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Re: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

@Buootiful  To me, it looks primarily icy blue, made up of aquamarine, periwinkle, and silver glitter. It’s very pretty! Does it feel very chunky glittery, or smoother & creamier? 

@Buootiful - Your swatch looks pretty!  I can see both blue and mint green glitter, so it's not just you!  😄

Oh my gosh, thank you for that. I feel sane now 🙂 @Titian06 

RE: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

Soo I thought Sephora wasn’t getting Ritualistic Rose but I see it up now ?? I probably missed someone mentioning it here in the thread.

Re: RE: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

Thank you @shimmerbait! this totally just made my day. I really want this one but wanted to swatch in store. I'm sure I'll have to go to a specific store that carries pmg as most nearby don't.

The same thing happened last year, the items that were supposed to be exclusive to pmg were only exclusive for a week or two. I had a feeling this would happen, but it's fine. My quad is finally being delivered today

Oh my goodness I am so excited! I told myself that I would only get it if I could use my last $100 reward, and was super bummed when PMG said it was exclusive to her website. You made my day @shimmerbait  😄

I had a feeling this would eventually make it to Sephora. 

@shimmerbait Pat's IG people themselves said it wasn't coming to Sephora, so I was surprised to see it as well.

Am mildly annoyed because I ordered it from her site and I hate how long her shipping to Canada takes. Would've much rather ordered from Sephora.

Oh NOOOOO 😞

I should have waited. Having said that has anyone got an recs on how to use this quad? wholly glitter fallout batman!

@ChristalM  For the sparkliest PMG shadows, I apply with my finger (dry or damp), a wet brush, or—for tight spaces or lower lash line—a silicone applicator. I do this over a base of grippy primer, either Smashbox 24 Hour or Too Faced Glitter Glue. 

Even then, there will be some fallout. I hate baking my undereyes, but I will sometimes coat my cheeks instead with powder before I useone of these shadows, and then knock it off afterward. I have an old Urban Decay Ozone lip primer crayon that’s terrible (for me) at its intended job, but perfect for removing random glitter from my face. 

And sometimes I just roll with a light sprinkle of fairy dust on my face. 😂🧚‍♀️ 

Do you have fallout with the Nocturnal Nirvana? I really hope you don't as I have not had any issues with this gorgeous palette!. @WinglessOne  🙂

I don't know if I am less afraid of shimmers/glitters now but I never understood how people say mature woman cant wear sparkly eye shadow? I use the purple as the dark base and let the sparkles be the main attraction!

@Buootiful  I do get fallout with that quad (and some PMG shadows in other palettes), but it’s not the end of the world for me. 🙂 Here’s the first look I did (2 weeks ago) using just the quad (all 4 shadows): 

Higher res camera, beauty mirror as spotlight.Higher res camera, beauty mirror as spotlight.Playtime with PMG Nocturnal Nirvana quadPlaytime with PMG Nocturnal Nirvana quad

Those photos show how much glitter my lashes kept off my undereyes. 😄 I didn’t use primer: that morning, I wore just VR Emerald on my eyes as a very sheer wash across my lids and a bold punch of color in my inner corners. When I got home tha night, I went all in with the quad to see how all 4 shadows played together. 

Lemme look for another photo that better shows the fallout... I brushed most of it off my cheeks and out of my tear troughs before taking photos, but here’s one where you can see Blitz Aquamarine and VR Emerald glittering up the space around/above one brow: 

Beauty mirror spotlight in my warmly-lit bathroom; PMG Nocturnal Nirvana quad.Beauty mirror spotlight in my warmly-lit bathroom; PMG Nocturnal Nirvana quad.

Unsurprisingly, Blitz Aquamarine is the biggest glitter bomb in this quad. I automatically expect any PMG blitz formula to have fallout—so I was surprised by Blitz Purple, which is very well behaved. VR Emerald is the second most prone to fallout. But again, fallout during application doesn’t bug me as much as it bugs some other folks, especially since I can brush most of it away afterward. If I really hated application fallout, I wouldn’t own any PMG palettes. 😉 

About mature women and sparkly eye shadow: some people still associate glitter and sparkle with young (teens and 20s) ladies. It’s why even some MUAs tell women over 39 to steer clear of shimmers/glitters and stick to mattes with an occasional metallic, lest they “try too hard to look younger.” 🙄 Obviously I don’t agree with that, since I’ll be 48 in December and age hasn’t magically ended my love of bold colors. I wish folks would understand that we’re not trying to look younger, we just really like shiny sparkly things on our lids. 

I agree with you about age and glittery eye shadow, @WinglessOne!  We're close to the same age.  This color and it's sparkle look beautiful on you!

Thank you @curlychiquita ! 

Thank you for the comparison at least it automatically highlights your brow bone-one less step and colorful too! 🙂 . This quad is gorgeous on you!!

I will maybe get to the blue one this week but the green went on pretty well with the brush (better than the purple) and was a dreamy pigment on the lids with my fingers. @WinglessOne 

@Buootiful  I strongly recommend a wet brush or a finger for the blue (Blitz Aquamarine). It’ll apply with a dry brush as a very sheer wash of aquamarine sparkle, and that’s not a bad thing. 🙂 But if you want to build up the color, a wet brush is the way to go. 

VR Emerald is my favorite shade in the quad. I’m a sucker for duochromes, so of course that’s the shade that attracted me most. But I also love how it performs on the lid. I can easily sheer it waaaay out or quickly buildup the color—and I don’t need a wet brush to do it. I’m glad you enjoyed it as well! 

@WinglessOne  @Buootiful  I do agree there are lots of MUA (and non) that give that advice about glitter/shimmer and I think sometimes it is due that negative connotation of glitter only being for the young (which I obviously don’t believe for the record)

but I also see that this take often comes from makeup artists that were trained a long time ago; and from a classical/technical perspective this is an old rule similar to ‘no shimmer in the crease’ because sparkle/shimmer draw attention to an area while matte create shadows. It may be assumed that older eyelids are not ‘attractive’ (again, this is subjective and unfortunately an opinion purported by mainstream beauty) when their texture is emphasized which a light catching glitter will do. Personally because I have hooded and recessed eyes I often use shimmers in my crease because I don’t want to increase the already significant depth of appearance of my eye, I want it to look less deep. Shimmers are perfect for helping to bring it forward, but according to old school ‘rules’ this is a no no 🤷🏽‍♀️

if you like glitter, wear glitter. If you don’t, that is fine, too. I love bold colour and glitter and no rule  is gonna put an expiry date on my ability to wear it 🤣

@Mochapj  Oh, it’s definitely a holdover from “classical” beauty training—from the days when ageism was even more prevalent. That’s why it’s slightly amusing and mostly frustrating to hear young MUAs tell women my age and older to avoid shimmery glittery eyeshadow. I’m sure some of them were taught that as handed-down knowledge, but in this day and age, I expect a more enlightened perspective. Eh, I’m often told I expect too much from people in general. 😄 

I also have hooded eyes and, though my eyes aren’t deep-set, I understand using shimmers in the crease. Similar to why I sometimes use a bit of highlighter in my tear troughs, to visually reduce the depth (and resulting darkness) of sunken skin there. There are so many “rules” about what should and shouldn’t be done to specific eye and lid shapes, and they’d be much more palatable if they were always presented and understood as optional “techniques” instead. I mean sure, one can use a dark matte shadow to create depth in the crease—but it’s a technique anyone can try, not a rule that must be followed by owners of certain eye shapes. Same goes for shimmer in the crease or on the hood. I don’t mean to sound like I’m picking on MUAs. I just wish more of them weren’t so “you must do this, not this—not ever” about makeup. 

Which is partly why I love Pat McGrath so much. Even if you can’t/won’t wear her type of runway look on an everyday basis, it’s at least good inspiration to do whatever the bleep you want, however sparkly (or not-sparkly!) you want. 

Interesting on the classical perspective. I certainly ignored that rule and intentionally put glitter in the crease, lol  :). I know I will prob have the same classical way of thinking with cut creases. There certainly is a fine line between a good one and a really bad one. 🙂

On a side note, I was once told by a SIJCP SA that I have monolids not hooded eyes, ha! It was a weird term to hear out of a young SA's mouth. My husband thought that was as outdated as using oriental for descriptions.

Oooh, I wish I had more of your recess, i just got hooded eyes. We all want what we cant have 🙂 @Mochapj 

@Buootiful  @Mochapj  @WinglessOne 

if we aren’t supposed to wear glitter/shimmer/sparkles then I failed epically today!

Never too much sparkle!Never too much sparkle!

testing