cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

~ Updated Sept 26th 2019 ~

Since the brand is coming to Sephora. I thought I'd start a thread just for the brand for news and info. 

Brand page: https://www.sephora.com/pat-mcgrath-labs

NEW PRODUCTS

Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/blitz-astral-quad-P451138

Obsessive Opulence: MatteTrance Lipstick

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/obsessive-opulence-mattetrance-lipstick-P451132

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/mothership-vi-eyeshadow-palette-midnight-sun-P449790

Eye Ecstasy: Eye Shadow Palette Mini

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/eye-ecstasy-eye-shadow-palette-P448447

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-P447519

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Primer

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfecting-primer-P447764

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Setting Powder

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-setting-powder-P447770

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-brush-P448622

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Powder Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-powder-brush-P448623

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Re: THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

Just bought my first full size PMG (Matte Trance in Elson).  I had tried the mini sets and fell in love with it.  I finally bit the bullet and bought a full size because it was the best red lipstick I had ever found.  I've worn it 3 times since it arrived Monday and I am confident this is the 2nd best lipstick purchase of my life.  The 1st was my 1st red lipstick.  I went to a Clinique counter and told them I wanted to try a RED and ended up with Clinique Pop lipstick in Cherry Pop.  It holds a special place in my heart and always will.  But Elson has become my absolute favorite.

A couple other things.  I recently purchased the fetish balm mini set and found the quality terrible.  One broke the 2nd time I put it on.  Colors were unimpressive.  A big disappointment from PMG.  Also, I've been really tempted by some of the blitz trance shades but I'm wondering just how glittery they really are.  I keep looking at Love Train and I'm drooling, but I don't like glitter much.  Can anyone show me a swatch?  The swatch on Temptalia doesn't look glittery at all.  Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book did a post on the new Bltiz Trance shades and they don't look glittery either.  Is it actually glitter?  Or just shimmer?  If I can find the answer anywhere, I know it's here.  Thanks!

@sprocketta  to answer your question, the first nine blitztrance shades were very glittery. I had two of them (electra and flesh fatale), and I found them very gritty on the lips but very sparkly.

I bought the nude set from the new blitztrance that she released the summer. they are more shimmery than glittery, definitely less glittery than the original ones. But they still have that super gritty texture.

personally I don’t think the blitztrance formula is one of her better products. 

The balms all run really sheer. Anyone who has even remotely pigmented lips probably won’t see much of a difference in colour between them.

@Mochapj  @sprocketta 

Interesting: the balms I have leave noticeable pigment on my lips. Not as opaque as a LuxeTrance—these are tinted balms, after all—but plenty enough to tell there’s color on my lips and distinguish one shade from another. And my top lip is darker than my bottom lip. I guess it just depends on individual people’s lip pigmentation. 

Good to know the minis are prone to breakage, and sorry that happened to you @sprocketta. I didn’t think the formula was soft enough to have that problem when poured as a smaller size, but apparently I was wrong. ☹️ I was going to buy the mini set for someone, but now I’ll just get her a full size instead. 

The new BlitzTrances are creamier than the original ones. I don’t find the new ones super gritty, maybe because I always wear a lip balm under them. But yeah, you can feel that there’s glitter in them. Anyone who hates that sensation on their lips won’t like these or any other glittery lipsticks. To me, most liquid mattes feel grittier, but again, personal preference. I usually like to wear BlitzTrances under gloss. 

In terms of comfort, I’d rate LuxeTrance highest, then Lip Fetish, MatteTrance, and BlitzTrance. I might have a strong bias toward LuxeTrance because of their overall performance and pigmentation, otherwise the balms would be first. Still haven’t given her liquid matte a full day wear test, but also still shocked by how comfy it was during my short test. Anyway, some folks think MatteTrance is more comfy than all the others. 🤷‍♀️ 

@WinglessOne That weird minority ones is me 😘 I like her Matte Trance the most. Though I have admit that I might be bias since I don’t have good experiences with my first Luxe Trance so I stop trying. I probably have high expectations at the time (I don’t know) But I love all my Matte Trance

@WinglessOne I'm returning the balms and tempted to put that money towards a Luxe Trance.  I'm unsure of the color.  Part of me wants Major Red, but I already have Elson and should pick another shade to love and wear a lot.  It's definitely going to require I go to a store that carries PMG, so I'll probably be heading to the Michigan Ave store.  Maybe on Sunday.  Tomorrow, I'm donating something to the dog rescue I got my greyhound from.  I can tell myself that it's reason enough for a lipstick reward, right?

@sprocketta I feel you on the lip balm mini set. I've had it in my cart for weeks and almost picked it up but I found it in store yesterday and they were all smooshed and felt cheap. I highly highly recommend the Luxetrance, the formula is amazing, totally worth the money, IMO. I have both Elson and Major Red and they're almost identical. I have one of the original Blitztrance and it's super beautiful but pretty gritty, especially as it wears down. I want to try one of the newer shades too, since they seem more of a shimmer finish instead of glitter. 

Thank you! @Mochapj It sounds like I would hate Blitz Trance, as pretty as it is in the pictures.  You totally cleared up that question for me.

Went to my local Sephora for some swatching of Pat's new foundation. I have light skin but was matched to 3 separate colors so I swatched shades 3-10 for you all. Let me know if you have any questions.

Shades 3-6, the dried swatch photos were taken 2 hours after they were applied on my hand since I heard this foundation oxidizes (and it does).

Shades 7-10, the dried swatches were only on my hand for about half an hour so they are still pretty wet in the photos but they still oxidized a bit.

After doing all these swatches, I have determined I need to just go in store again and request a few shade samples before I can purchase this foundation to test out. I am normally really good at shade matching myself but these shades were all slightly similar and more tricky to decipher for me personally.

Spoiler

Shades 3-6

Fresh swatches in store lightingFresh swatches in store lightingFresh swatches in store lightingFresh swatches in store lightingDried swatches in car lightingDried swatches in car lightingDried swatches in indoor lightingDried swatches in indoor lighting

Shades 7-10 (I went crazy on how much foundation I pumped for these swatches so sorry they are so wet!)

Fresh swatches in outdoor lightingFresh swatches in outdoor lightingFresh swatches in outdoor lighting but in the shadeFresh swatches in outdoor lighting but in the shade

Slightly dried (30 min) swatches in restaurant lightingSlightly dried (30 min) swatches in restaurant lighting

@gonerogue Thank you for the swatches! I honestly think the shades 3 and 5 would have been a great match for me as well since they seem really similar even after drying. (I ended up with 4)

@gonerogue, thank you so much for swatches of the foundation and dried down. It's interesting to see the range of light shades, and to see shade 6 specifically as I have pink undertones but have not worn a pink tinted foundation (usually it's beige with some pink). Was color matched to 3, 5, and 6. Look forward to hearing what shades work for you.

@TraceyEB  no problem! If you’ve got pink undertones, I would not recommend 3 and 5 as those have yellow undertones. From what I recall, shade 6 was the pinkest out of all the shades and shade 4 was the peachiest.

@gonerogue, thanks! Appreciate the feedback!!

Thank you, @gonerogue! The Sephora color match matches me to 10 but I really want to see on store. It does look good based on your swatches. 

@curlychiquita  Yes, I do recommend you just check it out in stores. Color IQ matched me to shades 3,5,7 so I had to see the shades for myself in all types of lighting before I bite the bullet. 

@gonerogue I'm usually pretty good at matching online too but I was torn between 5 and 7 as well. PMG's website was no help, all the model's skintone look the same lol what shades do you usually wear in other foundations?

@makeitup305 

When I don’t self tan, I match perfectly to: Too Faced’s Peach foundation in porcelain

Estée Lauder DW in 1W1 Bone

Bare Minerals Barr Pro in Sateen 05

Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion in Vanilla

La Mer in Crete 03

Dior Backstage in 1W

When I do self tan, I match well with:

It Cosmetics Matte foundation in Light

Estee Lauder DW in 2N1

Hourglass stick foundation in Linen

For my normal pale self, I will buy shade 3 in PMG and will consider shade 5 for my self tan days but it’s really not a priority right now as I don’t usually self tan unless I plan on going somewhere with warm weather.

I went to my sephora store to grab a sample of the new foundation (no way Id spend $90 CAD in case I didnt like it). I got shade 5 and it is a perfect match. I took a photo where I used it on half my face. It looked good at first but then settled into my pores (which are small) and wore away and looked patchy after only a couple hours. I even tried it with my Chanel setting powder and nope, didn’t help. No good for me 😞 also I found that it smells kinda strange.  For reference I have light skin with yellowy olive undertones.  My skin is combination, only sliiiightly oily on my t zone in the summer.

CBDCA38C-51F1-4D52-962D-3629C88C16FB.jpeg

@sabrinas I am sorry that it didn't work for you - thanks for sharing! That color is a perfect match and photographed nicely as well.

@sabrinas Thanks for the review. Sorry it didn’t work for you. I have oily skin and my pores aren’t huge but aren’t very small either. I need to check which Toronto store has this available so I can grab a sample to try.

@sabrinas ,

Sorry that this didn't work for you!  Thanks for telling us your results.

Thx you for the review @sabrinas Sorry it doesn’t work well for you. I want to try this out but want to wait for more reviews first 😘

testing