cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE ORDINARY / DECIEM THREAD

~ Updated Dec 2nd 2018 ~

Their popularity seems to be growing and with all the their brands why not have a thread dedicated to them!

Brands under Deciem:

NIOD

Hylamide

Chemistry Brand

The Ordinary

Loopha

The Fountain

HIF

Ab Crew

Abnomaly

COMING SOON/NEWS:

Brands coming under the Deciem name:

• Halftone
    HIPPOOH
    Stencil

Re: THE DECIEM THREAD

I've gone at prime times - lunch hour, weekends and after work. It could be that I got lucky in terms of knowledgable staff (I've only had questions about oils but have overheard staff explaining different products to other people) which suggests training is inconsistent. And yes, all the staff I've seen have been younger. @jeannie11

@jeannie11  wow! Guess that nonchalant attitude is at Deciem's core. I don't care if the products are cheap or expensive... customer service should never be lacking.  But I understand why you would keep going back.

@veronika23 -- on the other hand, I appreciate there is no hard sell.  

The salespeople don't appear overly knowledgeable, but thanks to the internet, most of us have already done our homework.  When I think of some of the stuff Sephora salespeople tell me about a product I've already researched, it's just as well we're doing our own homework.  For the most part.

@jeannie11  Oh ok yeah I know what you mean... and I guess it's good in a way. It's just I loved one of their products from HIF that's been OOS forever and they ignored a lot of my messages asking when it would come back in stock... when they did reply they said something like we'll get it back at some point... The whole we don't care about when our products will be stocked just pissed me off. If they can't make an effort why should I give them my money.

None of this affects my opinion about the brand. I love their products and will continue to use them 🙂 Having worked for an owner/CEO with a strong personality before I can empathize with what both he and the company are going through. I do like that he is sticking up for himself. It is his house and he should be able to work with who he chooses to. He has a vision for his company and is passionate about that, I like that. On the other hand PR,HR and his investors must be fuming. Change is unsettling since it seems to trickle down pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I just hope the quality remains the same! 

Truaxe comes off sounding like a paranoid dictator but he is right about one thing - the products are markedly cheaper than the rest of the market and they never had to be so expensive. I get feeling defensive because he has disrupted the idea of how expensive skin care products should be and I imagine tons of other beauty execs would like to see Deciem wiped out into oblivion. Because these luxury beauty companies don't have patents on chemicals like Vitamin C, they don't own the research and all they can do to differentiate themselves are secondary considerations like texture, scent, packaging, marketing campaigns, branding and so on.

@Mcakes

Ages ago, I went into a beauty store with a chemist friend of mine and we looked at ingredients together. He was like ha ha ha, I could get you some this stuff from my lab and safely mix it together for pennies. The thing is, I don't have a lab where I can bulk order chemicals and cold pressed oils so The Ordinary has been the next best thing.

Thanks for sharing. Not sure if rashly firing key executives can constitute a good social media "strategy"!! @ZombieMetroAnt

Uhh...

Is anyone else following the meltdown Deciem is having on social media lately?  I can't even summarize it because its so incoherent.

I've liked their products, but it sketches me out when a brand is really unprofessional like this.  Sounds like owner(?) is going through a hard time...but still, this is a company, not their own personal social media

Yeah, I've been following the brand on ig for quite awhil...

Yeah, I've been following the brand on ig for quite awhile now. I believe all this backlash and outrage was due to the fact that Brandon (the founder) took over the official Deciem page and started posting a series of (literal) garbage and a dead animal (which has since been taken down) along with very public announcements of them breaking deals with certain distributors and dropping collaborations with reputable people. Deciem's ig page also went on a rampage blocking people just for the slightest criticism in how Brandon is behaving. What a mess.

There's an article on Racked that kind of goes into the background of this a bit more, including some very unhappy details about the working culture at Deciem.

The company recently received a major capital infusion from Estee Lauder so they are going through some serious growing pains with rapid expansion.

Honestly, I feel like I've seen this kind of thing happen a lot before - a charismatic founder starts a company that expands really rapidly early on. They're not used to the increased scrutiny and sudden success. They might get a little more whacky, the people who used to buffer them lose more control. Or maybe things were always really dysfunctional and the increased capital applies a pressure that exacerbates existing problems. Other examples I can think of where this happened are Uber, Lululemon, American Apparel, Nastygal. I hope that this doesn't ruin Deciem as I am really liking some of their products and also like the fact that they're from Toronto.

@Madeline7@itscarin@k617

@Madeline7 I don't follow deceit on ig but I've seen chatter about their meltdown on other social media.  The funniest thing I've seen/heard is that you should check out what people have to say about working there at glassdoor.com.  

As someone who has had a shi77y boss before I want to stand up for their employees and anyone else (customers, etc) who are subjected to someone else's personality disorder.  Sorry you're having a bad day, but you don't get to take it out on other people because you're the founder/ceo/whatever.

When I see something on IG I don't like, I simply unfollow. I did read some of the comments and lots of people went out of their way and wrote super long posts criticizing...that's just not me. I also feel that sometimes people take posts on IG way too personally. Or maybe I'm just super detached generally.

With that said, I agree there have been lots of odd personal posts... I was surprised, when going through brands I followed, that Deciem wasn't one of them, and after re-following for about an hour, I remembered why I unfollowed the last time.

I use IG purely for brand and product updates. Maybe some indie brands (not really sure you can actually consider Deciem one anymore, at their price points and product range) are run a little differently, but you're right, as a consumer, it does sketch me out when brands post questionable things like "we're gonna make this soap when I get back", a public apology to a mysterious team member, announcing donating "personal savings" to a cause, etc.

I don't follow influencers/celebrities/socialites whose IG is purely filled with "lifestyle" and personal posts. Heck, I don't even follow all of my friends on IG! I just don't use IG for what most people use it for I guess. And I do post on IG but to be honest that's mostly for my own benefit of tracking photos and food I really like. I've caught myself going through my own IG feed for dinner ideas....LOL 

I think that's a really good perspective.  We live in an interesting world where we get to see so much more into the "personalities" of companies these days, and sometimes its just TMI (and more opportunities to put foot in mouth).  I still haven't decided if I'd rather know or not know about these kinds of things

And your last statement is exactly it: we all have the power to decide, which is great!

An example of why IG annoys me some days: I follow Kitten Lady Hannah on IG who rescues kittens and provides a lot of info on rescue and fostering (oh, that's the other thing I use it for: CATS!) and last year she went to Japan for a couple of weeks and posted here and there on the cat cafes, cat sanctuaries, etc. she was visiting and how the cats were cared for and loved over there. Someone actually went as far as posting something along the lines "I'm outraged that you would post personal posts on your account. I don't care about your travels and I didn't donate to support you to see posts like these." Um, entitled much? Yes, you donate to her cause but that does not mean you own her. Not even close. We all deserve a break once in awhile, and she was still posting cat-related things.

Anyway, a bit of a tangent... but just another example on how some people on IG really tick me off...

Been using the Ascorbyl Glucoside for two PMs in a row and have gotten a couple of red bumps in my t-zone and inner cheeks (typical breakout zones). They are small and look like inflamed black heads and small white heads. I’m not risking popping them and backing the serum off until they go away. 

Anyone else experience this with Ascorbyl Glucoside? This is not my first Vitamin C serum but it’s possible my last couple were oxidized and no good. Should I use once per week or once every few days until my skin gets used to it or should I back off completely?

@k617 I haven't tried this particular product but I'd discontinue use until the spots subside and then ease back into it with 1-2x a week for a while just to be sure.

What else were you using it with at night? It could be that the combination was too much...

Thanks @Mochapj, that's probably a good call. I've had this issue with AHA, BHA and retinol but never Vitamin C before. Maybe this product is just stronger than I'm used to for Vit C.

When I'm using an active, I make sure not to combine with any other actives at the same time. So the last couple nights I was only using core products: MISSHA essence and Buffet before the Ascorbyl Glucoside, then my PTR Squalane mixed with a sample of DE Protini after. 

I've been using the Protini for about a week and only developed the bumps after trying out the Ascorbyl Glucoside. I didn't use the Ascorbyl Glucoside last night and today my bumps seem to have improved. 

Oooh....sassy!

"The Ordinary Just Shaded at Drunk Elephant, Making This the Most Random Feud of 2018"

From Allure:

In a recent social media ad, The Ordinary took an obvious jab at fellow skin-care company Drunk Elephant (the beauty brand behind the fan-favorite T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial) over marula oil.

The post, shared by Redditor Kikekakako, starts off touting The Ordinary’s 100% Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil ($10 for a 30-milliliter bottle), an antioxidant-rich, brightening hydrator. Then comes the dig. "Referred to as a 'luxury' oil by some…It's a fantastic oil in every sense of the word despite its affordability (one would have to be drunk to overpay for Marula)," the ad reads in obvious reference to Drunk Elephant's Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil, which is $72 for a 30-milliliter bottle. Yikes.

Brandon did apologize for this later, which I think is kind of cool  

61D0EB1C-9900-4D92-B30A-7E1B84B26580.jpeg

@k617 I agree the apology was good of him. I like that he acknowledged his mistake publicly and also made the donation to DE’s fave charity. 

@bellinasf I appreciate that he simply apologized and acknowledged his mistake. I find some brands/influencers "apologize" and then put then somehow try to justify the comment they made. 

424 Replies
testing