Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Let's talk about Charlotte Tilbury..

I already have the Filmstar bronze & glow palette but looking into some of her other products.

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share esp with her Light Wonder Foundation, her blush and the Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder? I'm interested in getting these three things but still on the fence about taking the plunge! 

Please let me know, many BTers opinions have helped me out on products before 😄 Thanks in advance!

Re: Let's talk about Charlotte Tilbury..

@nomzCookie wow exciting! B!tch perfect is on my list too! The new palette coming out looks beautiful... I missed out on the pillow talk palette, hoping it will come to Sephora at some point as it looks like something I would wear everyday.

@nomzCookie sounds like some awesome purchases!!! Hope you love everything

Does anyone have experience with the lightest CT foundation shades?  I'm a 1Y01 on Sephora's Color IQ, but the site is recommending shade 4 in the Magic foundation for me.  That seems awfully dark based on the picture and my usual experience of being the lightest shade in every range I can wear.  Do these foundations run realllllly pale, or is there just a glitch in the algorithm?

@sandykat79 FWIW, I always take the Sephora IQ with a grain of salt. It's a tool that can help you narrow down your options, but it is far from perfect and I often find the results to be inconsistent. Part of the problem is that the shade library for the Color IQ is fairly limited, and really could be expanded (e.g. there's no 1R01 result - 1Y01 is the lightest, which is for neutral undertones, but not everyone who is a light shade will want a neutral undertone, as some are warmer and others cooler). 

However, in my experience the CT shade range runs fairly light. Have you seen the shade chart from CT? You might find it helpful.

You'll notice that Magic Foundation has lighter options that Light Wonder in general.

I wear Light Wonder in 1 Fair, especially during the summer, as it's a sheerer coverage so it can work for me. I'd say it's fairly neutral. I found the Magic shades to be a little trickier to match and seemed warmer, but perhaps that's because they're fuller coverage. I haven't tried the new 0 shade, but 1 was my closest match although 2 was doable. 

What other foundations have you found that are a match for you?

Charlotte Tilbury shade range.JPG

Thanks for the info @lachaton  My best colour match is Fenty in 100, and when I'm "tanned" I use Urban Decay Naked Skin in 0.5.  I never entirely trust the Color IQ tool, but it is usually helpful to get an idea of which shades to test.  I have very neutral undertones.

I was looking at the Magic foundation because of the wider shade range, but the Light Wonder is more my desired level of coverage.  I'll probably just have to wait until they start carrying the line in stores and I can test it in person.  Returns in Canada are a pain and a half.

@sandykat79 Fair 1 might work for you in Light Wonder since it's sheer. It blends well, so I don't have a problem with it looking too dark (and I find it gives me a bit of a healthy glow). I suspect you'd likely be the new 0 or 1 in the Magic Foundation. Something to note - Charlotte Tilbury direct has, in the past, included samples of the foundation when you order it so that you can test the shade first (and often have included another near shade or two so you can compare) before opening up the product. 

I noticed Magic Away and Magic Powder are for sale online at retailers that carry CT, including Beautylish.

I thought it was always $45 USD 😮 for the powder. I think I will hold up on order the powder until the smell issue is addressed 

Has anyone purchased the Genius Magic Powder?  Mine smells SO bad, like it's rancid or something.  I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a scent and mine is just off, or if it's supposed to smell this way?  Otherwise I really like the powder (doesn't look cakey on my dry skin) but the smell lingers after applying and the odor is just horrible...

@seaofcowards Yep, as others have mentioned, CT says that smell is normal. I wouldn’t call it a “waxy” smell... well, unless we’re talking about a candle made of mushrooms, wet earth, and sour yeast. 😄 

I bought mine (from Nordstrom) sight unseen and scent unsmelled because I already have and like the Airbrush Flawless Finish pressed powder. I figured a loose powder version would work even better for me. I was right! This powder is almost perfect for my dry, alligator skin under eyes. The only problem I have is the smell. I’m trying to get used to it. It helps that I only wear it under my eyes, so I don’t have a ton of it caked on. (I don’t coat my skin in lots of concealer and then bake with tons of powder.) In another thread, I said I’d try misting it with a pleasantly scented refresher spray to see if that helps. We’ll see. 

I wouldn’t describe mine as smelling waxy either! Good to know you haven’t had the same problem with the pressed powder though - I had been wanting to try it, but after getting the loose powder I was afraid the pressed would smell the same. 

@seaofcowards I used up an entire pan of the pressed powder recently and it didn't have any smell at all - completely different from the loose powder! 

@seaofcowards, @WinglessOne just mentioned the smell on another thread, so it may be the product's actual smell.

An update from CT direct after I asked them about the scent of the powder -

@seaofcowards @Kim888 @TraceyEB

"Please know that the smell of the Magic Powder is completely normal. As we use all natural ingredients and because this item does not contain talc, there is an odor.  We would not recommend leaving the top off of the product as that will not help to keep the powder fresh."

I responded because I noticed that the ingredients list also lists Parfum (Fragrance) so I still think it's odd. 

ETA: my response from CT direct:

"I apologize for any confusion, there is a tiny percent of fragrance which is less than 1%. That is not the scent you are smelling, the waxy like smell comes from the natural ingredients that are included."

Thanks so much for the tag, @lachaton and for bringing this concern to CT's attention. Natural ingredients is what Wayne Goss suspected, too. I didn't realize Magic Powder was made without talc.

hmmm...thanks for the update @lachaton - deff let us know what they say!

@seaofcowards Mine also has a very noticeable smell, which I've noticed consistently over using it since receiving it. I wouldn't describe my powder as smelling rancid, but more like wax or crayon. It's unpleasant all the same.

I am so intrigued by this rancid smell. I've never had ma...

I am so intrigued by this rancid smell. I've never had makeup go rancid on me (to the best of my knowledge). I'd be interested in seeing what that is like from an educational standpoint. powders shouldn't be turning rancid like that.

Re: I am so intrigued by this rancid smell. I've never had ma...

I definitely wouldn’t describe my powder as smelling waxy or like crayons; mine smells more like mildew or clothes left too long in the washing machine or something, or even kind of like spoiled milk. No idea if I’m just especially sensitive to the odor or if mine smells differently! 

@lachaton@seaofcowards I agree with @lachaton - Mine doesn't smell as if it's gone bad - It just smells strongly of crayons. Luckily I don't find it to linger on me once I apply it - it's just when I have the powder open. I really like the finish though and usually I hate lose powders so I just hold my breath when I apply it hahaha

Hi, @seaofcowards the waxy scent of the Magic Powder is a known issue. (Our discussion is below and Wayne Goss mentions it in his review a few posts down.)  We should continue to give that feedback to CT online, at CT counters, and in reviews to prompt/influence a reformulation. I cannot smell the scent once applied, thankfully.

2 Replies
testing