Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

What brands do you steer clear of?  It could be a  brand that just doesn't appeal to you or one that is associated with a celebrity.  Or, it could be one that is over-priced or one that you have found to be ineffective.  Share!

RE: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

Kat Von D=hates Jews. Self explanatory.

Kylie or KKW. Too expensive for something that isn't really that different with cheap packaging

Probably Kat Von Dee, KKW, Kylie and Jeffree Starr. And s...

Probably Kat Von Dee, KKW, Kylie and Jeffree Starr. And super expensive brands.

Re: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

I saw an end cap of Wet N Wild today at the grocery store.  I took a look at it for old time's sake and was surprised that the prices had gone up significantly.  I remember when their stuff was only a dollar or two.  I think it's been about 10 years since I got a nail polish from them and don't see myself getting anything else in the future.

RE: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

I despise MLM beauty companies like Younique/Lipsense specifically. I think it stems from the annoying posts on social media and the sellers harassing people to spend a good amount of money on their products. They are always over hyped and expensive. You could purchase better quality products for less on Sephora yet people still spend hundreds on 'the best lipsticks ever`. Sigh.

Re: RE: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

@MissDiannaT @amyd1259 I think we need to coin a new term for products that are being so saturated by social media that it's a turn off!

Re: RE: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

Yes! This! I have a friend who sells Younique and I swear she posts about it like 5 times a day. I'm so annoyed by her posts that I will absolutely never buy from Younique, ever. Also would never buy from Lipsense considering the horrid ingredients. 

Other than those 2 brands, I have a never say never mentality.

Jeffree Star...I'm an African American woman. Being compared to a monkey or whatever the F he said is enough to take my hard earned money elsewhere.

Morphe... I feel like it's the same cheap eyeshadows you find in the 99 cents store, plus the hype on youtube is annoying.

Anything Kardashian or Jenner... I bough some estee edit stuff but it wasn't kendall's brand. Don't care for what kylie stands for or tries to hype up. Again, not wanting to be a race card type of person but, their cultural appropriation is enough to make me be proud of my culture and ancestry without using their crap. Thanks but no thanks. Repackaging so much of my culture and literally stamping their name all over it is annoying and out of hand....but I digress -_- 😄

I agree about Jeffrey Star, I can't have my money supporting his hateful comments and attitude. I also find it infuriating that brands are still collaborating with him, he is not a positive influence on the beauty community. 

Very well spoken!  

@misscg We vote with our dollars, so we do have power to an extent.

Image result for makeup money

@nycmle That's a good point!  I think brands want to expand to build their business which is understandable, but they need to walk a fine line between quantity and quality.

Well said, @liv545 !

There aren't many brands I'll outright avoid, I'll even buy some of the more controversial* products for the sake of reviewing/finding dupes for a product! I've avoided Lime Crime just because of the blatant disregard Doe has had when her customers' information had been stolen. I'm not okay with the pyramid scheme brands and for some reason I now have an elitest opinion towards Avon, where even though I know the quality is OK I'm not into it.

@Nickelliebear1 I kinda feel the same way about Avon.  Even when they hired Reese Witherspoon, the company didn't seem to flourish.  Maybe if they had a typical counter I'd be more open to them.

Image result for reese witherspoon avon

Never say never right? lol. Idk, I think I'd try pretty much everything but I do have some brands that I stay away from now from experience. 

Lorac non Pro shadows- These are horrible! I get burned every time I get a palette from Lorac that isn't a part of their Pro line (some of my favorite shadows!). An exception may be their Unzipped palettes. I haven't taken the plunge on those yet but they seem like good quality. I'm planning on picking one up from Ulta once I have enough points saved up 🙂

BH Cosmetics- I don't know what it is but my skin just seems to eat their powder products! The eyeshadows never stay no matter what primer I use and even their highlighters disappear on me. Pass.

Most drugstore eyeshadows. 

@Mcakes I avoid drugstore eye shadows like the plague.  I've tried too many that have been chalky.

Jeffree Star and Kylie Cosmetics due to the behavior of the owners and name sakes of the brands(I know a lot of other brands are probably also owned by terrible people, but when that person's name is on the product there no way I can feel like I'm not directly supporting the person).

Even if they went through a total change of heart and apologized for real and cleaned up their act, in which case I'd probably buy from Kylie, I'd still avoid Star just because I'm not a fan of his packaging. It looks like over sized toy Barbie makeup to me (no hate to those who like it, just not my personal aesthetic choice).

Pyramid schemes. They're just plain annoying. 

The other one is elf. They're just so overhyped and built up to be as good as high end brands, but every time I've given them a chance they turned out to be just as cheap, if not cheaper, than they look and cost. Their lip glosses are like over scented, messy Vaseline(and I never trust a brand that can't make a halfway decent lipgloss, I feel like it's the bare minimum standard to meet), half the brushes I got from them fell apart in months, and their powers always look too powdery and patchy. That combined with the rabid fan base that has a tendency to insult people who would rather dish out more money for products that actually work has turned me off the brand entirely. If I need cheap makeup I'll throw down a buck or two more for NYX or another drugstore brand that actually preforms well, and whose cult followings are politer. 

Agree about e.l.f. So over it.

Agree about e.l.f. So over it.

@Annalily11 Those are all excellent viewpoints!  

I am trying to be cruelty free...so am now very considered about the products I buy. For some reason I thought that animal testing in cosmetics etc had ceased years ago so I never really thought about it till all of the hue and cry with China and brands selling there. 

Conversation Stats
testing