Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

What brands do you steer clear of?  It could be a  brand that just doesn't appeal to you or one that is associated with a celebrity.  Or, it could be one that is over-priced or one that you have found to be ineffective.  Share!

Re: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

@CheerMomma Yes, I definitely thought less brands did animal testing.

I may be one of the few but there is NO brand I would stay clear of. I buy makeup/skincare because it appeals to me (packaging, formula, shade), it's part of a collection,  its a LE item or FOMO (this happens often 🙂 ) Of course there are some products that didn't work out for me but I wouldn't cut off the entire brand.

@HookedOnBeauty2 There are definitely brands that haven't appealed to me - but then once I get disappointed by a brand I previously like, then I branch out.  🙂

Jeffree Star.

I cannot stand the way he treats human beings.  Even after his "sorry for being racist" video, he still continues to behave in a way that I can't respect.

@Madeline7 He seems to be the most frequently named on this list!

Related image

Yeah...he is.  He seems like a very troubled person 😞

@liv545 Drugstore brands do hold appeal for me - I just can't stand that they don't have testers.  That's why I gravitate toward NYX and No. 7.  I keep e-mailing Ulta that they need to have more testers, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Jefree Star, Lime Crime, and Kardashian for obvious reasons. Tarte and Too Faced just don't interest me (even though the Clover palette is an exception).

I have a few Nars items, but generally try to avoid Nars because the names bother me...I also dislike Benefit because I feel they are very gimmicky and over-priced, and end up discontinuing the majority of their products to just make similar ones...

@HelloCoffee Yes, Benefit can come across as gimmicky - they have a lot of marketing.  I feel like the brand is so centered on brows and pores!

i have a lot tbh, i'm not a forgive-and-forget person when it comes to ethical consumerism and such.

like everyone else said, the shady/racist/bully owned brands. jeffree star, gerard cosmetics, lime crime, and also too faced and revlon. i didn't know about z palette until this thread, and thank god i never bought from them. there are so many better, less expensive options out there so i figured i'd wait and maybe buy it on clearance if i ever found one. and now i'm glad i avoided it. so thanks OP!

i bought stuff from makeup geek once and oh god, never again, 90% of what i got was absolute trash.

i tried some of my coworkers morphe palettes and those things are garbage too, i couldn't believe the hype? plus the ingredients list, yikes.

i used to reeeeeally despise brands that claimed to be cruelty free but were owned by parent companies that weren't. think tarte, urban decay, body shop. idk imo it's shadier to do that than to be straight forward about it. also the naked palette hype for ud left a bad taste in my mouth (i felt the quality was subpar compared to their singles, which i used to adore). now i only buy 100% cruelty free anyway. sucks because half the drugstore is covergirl, rimmel, loreal, maybelline, etc, so i have to be diligent when i venture into the drugstore to find stuff.

i'm veeeery wary when it comes to brands hyped on social media, or "beauty guru" brands. i mean, i'm open to it and found some great stuff through insta, but i agree lots of it ends up being trash too.

@SS26 You make a very good point about the shadiness of parent companies.  

I'm an absolute no on Jefree Starr, z Palette and Gerad Cosmetics. I don't like what they are about at all and I'm not into the way they treat people. I've never been too keen on heavily promoted YouTube brands (like Wunderbrow); I find that it's typically overkill and I end up paying for that advertising. 

There are also YouTubers who, sadly, I can no longer support. Tati Westbrook is the most recent person to fall into that category due to her comments about the people Jefree Starr was attacking and the way she treated her followers when questioned about it. I used to enjoy her videos, especially since she buys things like I do, but I can't support someone like that. 

@mrsbaine If a brand is going to have a "face" or be MUA-driven or is by a YouTube personality, it's only common sense that they treat others with respect and decency.

The brands I wouldn't consider buying (never say never) fall into 4 categories, there are a couple of exceptions but few and far between:

1) Brands owned/led by people I do not support (exception: I'm ashamed to say I bought 3 JS lipsticks lately--the colours got me, however, they are also low quality and performed below my expectations so I will not buy anything from him again. At least now I have another reason not to support his brand.)

2) Brands hyped up by social media only or built around social media with too much influencer support (e.g., Morphe, Gerard Cosmetics) These products often fall short of expectations because they're SO hyped up.

3) Brands started by celebrities who don't work in the beauty industry (e.g., anything Jenner/Kardashian) I like good music and I like good movies but I don't follow celebrities in general. Collabs with a reputable brand might be an exception, but even that Estee Edit capsule collection was a bit of a turn off.

4) Brands with products containing lots of filler/ineffective ingredients, or ingredient lists that do not match up with their claims - like having harsh grains or alcohol in products marketed towards sensitive skin, moisturizers with slip agents and nothing truly moisturizing, higher risk pore-clogging ingredients targeted towards acne prone, etc. They simply do not work for me, ever! (e.g., Glam Glow, Tatcha, La Mer, even some K-beauty brands)

@k617 That's very good reasoning!  I tend to avoid over-hyped products, too.  For example, I heard so very much about NARS Orgasm blush but I wasn't impressed; I even tried it in a lip gloss and it was "meh."

definitely jeffree star, z-palette, and kylie cosmetics due to their terrible behavior and customer service horror stories. and limecrimme. i used to love their products but quit supporting them after the CEO's antics. 

i did purchase the morphe X JH palette but otherwise own/want nothing from them, along with gerard cosmetics, and the like. 

i also don't buy brands that aren't cruelty free. i'm still sad about NARS 😞

@unfungirl Yes!  I do not like to support public figures who have atrocious behavior.  Why line their pockets?

If something gets promoted too often by beauty bloggers via instagram/fb/whatever then I wont want it. Ill never try morphe, gerard cosmetics, any pyramid scheme brand, and then im also less likely to try stuff from too faced and benefit because theyve become annoying.

@sabrinas Too Faced has become less appealing to me as well.  I bought their Natural Eye Palette when it first came out and was hooked.  But now it seems like they just churn out palettes.  I was more enamored with their eye shadow duos, which of course they no longer sell.

100% with you on gerard cosmetics.  The quality looks so poor and then they charge so much for it.  I think I also remember hearing unflattering things about the brand founder, too, which I can't remember, but I do remember enough to know it was a turn off.

Lipsense.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing