Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

What brands do you steer clear of?  It could be a  brand that just doesn't appeal to you or one that is associated with a celebrity.  Or, it could be one that is over-priced or one that you have found to be ineffective.  Share!

Re: Is there a brand that you would NEVER buy?

Same--those ingredients cannot be good for your lips 

I'm personally just not interested in social media brands and anything kardashian related.

Specifically Morphe, i just have no desire for this brand.

kardashian - no thank you

@darkiceis A lot of people are feeling this way!  I'm not familiar with many brands that aren't sold at Sephora or Ulta or Macy's, but everyone's posts have given me ideas on  brands to potentially avoid!

I'm also not into any celebrity brands. I also do not support brands who are unethical. This ranges from animal testing to the behavior of the brand creators (racist, sexist, behavior, etc). 

@m26430 I can't think of a celebrity brand that I'm into 🙂

Definitely staying away from Jeffree Star, his overall ch...

Definitely staying away from Jeffree Star, his overall character on social media is just something I cannot support!

Jeffree starr, Kylie and Kardashian brands or collabs, any brand collabs particulatly with Manny mua, glamzilla or Patrick Star (or lets say most social media "gurus"), Lime crime, Morphe, zpalette and Louboutin. 

Probably Milani. I'm big into the whole never say never buuuuuuuttt.... I bought one of their rose shaped blushes and the awful chemical smell coming off of it convinced me to not even attempt to try it out. I have allergies to some chemicals/fragrances and the horrid toxic smell coming off of mine set off super warning bells. I wonder if it's all of them or I got a dud? I've been watching more YouTube lately and while I love watching tutorials I feel like you can't always trust those folks with all the sneaky sponsored content.

@liv545 Yes!  It's a shame about sponsored content.  In the years to come, I think we are going to be seeing even more of it.

@greeneyedgirl107 I knoooow!! I "check the links below" as they're always pushing you to do. But I've noticed sometimes they'll positively gush about some really bizarre product and bring it out continually and you can tell it's trash....but there's no overt mention of sponsorship. I feel like it might be how some places will say their employees don't make commission but that's because they've titled it something else even though it amounts to the same thing. Reminds me of product placement in movies and tv shows. Like they'll be doing a legit review of one thing that I wanted to learn about and then bam!! Out comes the face roller or whatever gimmicky product. 😂 So weird. I guess earning a paycheck can have its lower moments for all of us. I wonder if YouTubers sometimes feel ridiculous repping random stuff.

@liv545 might be the specific colour or a dud?? I have 3 Milani rose blushes, 2 of their "Bronzers" (more light highlighter") and 5 or 6 of their baked blushes and though one pan does have a faint smell, it's not strong nor toxic-like!

@k617 I may try one more time then. It was pretty ruthless so I threw it out. I've only recently started delving into drugstore brands, generally based on YouTube suggestions. I've been pleasantly surprised on quality most of the time. But whew that Milani blush was stiiiiiinnnnkyyyyyyy! 😂

For me, just much just any brand who are run by terrible people who don't even bother trying to hide the fact that they're terrible. Some brands have already been listed below. 

@txcatx Gone are the days when people had to hide their bad behavior.  I guess that's kind of what the movie "Hail, Cesear" is about.

Jeffree Star -- just can't get over his comments about people of color, regardless of his apologies

Smashbox -- constantly underwhelmed with the brand

anything Kardashian

@nycmle I remember when Smashbox was on top of the world years ago.  I was all their eye shadows that came in triples.  They lost their game somehow.  Maybe it was b/c their products weren't any good.  I only got around to trying one or two.

@greeneyedgirl107I think they tried to do too much at one time -- their brand expansion went a little crazy, especially over the last couple years. I do have a few of their liquid lipsticks though, as I worked for Sephora at the time of their launch and I do actually like them quite a bit.

I was about to say Jeffree Star lol

I'm done buying Zpalette! After the way the owner acted towards her loyal customers...blechhh! 

Lime Crime - I bought a few things from them when I first started really getting into makeup but as soon as I heard about the horrible things the owner/CEO has done I turned around and threw them in the garbage. That of course did not stop my aunt from buying me quite a few of their liquid lipsticks for my birthday...

These are the two on my list, too! OMG I couldn't believe the things the Z-palette owner was saying during that meltdown over the hot plate.  Like lady, you are the worst at PR!!

There are the usual suspects that I would never buy, for very common reasons:

- Jeffree Star

- Nars 

Then there are the brands I would never buy for oddball reasons:

- Sephora brand 😮 , just feels like the makeup has marketed itself as being 'cheap'

- Bare Minerals, only because it has the word Minerals in the name, and I despise mineral makeup so it gives me the icky feels to think of wearing it

- Pretty Vulgar, the first item I saw from it was their birdcage palettes. These looked so drugstore/cheap to me that I am now blind to anything they put out

- Chanel, something about this brand makes me feel that if I ever feel like buying something from them then I have crossed the line somehow. Like I've gone from a casual/recreational user to an addict. 

- Make Up Forever, brand scares me because it seems like very serious business.. so anytime I think of buying something I remind myself I'm not a MUA

I should mention that I am not a makeup snob - I'm an advertising victim.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing