Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

For the love of all things Guerlain

There is a line that has buried itself in my heart (and my pocketbook), and it is Guerlain.  I know Im not the only one out there.  I thought I would start this thread for the discussion of all things Guerlain, skin care, makeup, perfume, places to get good gwp or good samples.  Experiences people have had, looks people have created with the products.  

For me it all started with a makeover by Guerlain's own Marie Line at my local Neiman Marcus.  She spent an hour with me and I left feeling calm and happy.  

As a mother of 4 year old twins and as a doctor I spend my live rushing through the day, often without enough sleep, more often without enough water, taking care of everyone else.  It shows on my face, in the fatigue in my eyes, in the puffiness and dark circles under them.  While I have been blessed with good skin it can be confused, aging (I bought my guerlain the day prior to my 40th birthday), but still with an oily t zone, and with patchy dry spots on my cheeks likely from the dry air in my medical work environment.  One of the things she said to me was- make it about a ritual for you, and dont leave it until your going to fall asleep.  I walked out with the orchidee imperiele gel cream, eye and lip cream and white/brightenining serum.  It was a birthday gift to myself.  And now every night I sit down for 15 minutes and wash my face and slowly carry through the ritual.  a ritual of energy expended and renewed.  Breathing in the soft smell of the orchids.  Im still using a cleanser and exfoliator from another line given how much I spent, but I have seen substantial change in my face in the 3 weeks since.  

so thats my story, and I would love to share a discussion with other lovers of Guerlain, especially as we eagerly anticipate the 2015 holiday collection.

Guerlain-Holiday-2015-Neiges-Merveilles.jpg

guerlainparis.jpg

Re: For the love of all things Guerlain

@DaintyDiva I have a couple of their compacts (although I think I only paid like $175 for the last one a few years ago). They’re really heavy, and feel super expensive. I feel super fancy whenever I use them. You can also buy some refills of different powders. 

Oh, I see what you mean,  @skcfan. If it can be refilled it makes a difference. I was comparing it to my LE compacts from Chanel, Burberry or Dior that usually cost around $80. 

@DaintyDiva Yes, @skcfan is correct that this palette feels very similar to the Meteorites Voyage compact from Guerlain (the refillable compact). The compact is much heavier, more solid, compared to LE ones from Chanel, Burberry or Dior (of which I have a few). 

With that being said, I don't know yet if the Ladies in All Climates re-release is actually refillable. The refills are sold in Canada for $75 CAD, and the compact with the powder is sold for $212 CAD. The Ladies in All Climates is $190 CAD. 

Whether or not the price is worth it is an all-together different question. But in terms of packaging alone, these Guerlain powders are quite different from other luxury brands. For the product itself, I'd say that it debatable and will largely come down to personal preference in powders. 

Good points @lachaton. I edited my post 🙂

Looking for input from anybody else who buys the new ELECTRIC PERLES

I received my tin and it doesn't have any sort of sponge inside; neither a fancy poof or the cheapie rubber one they sometimes use to keep them from rattling around. Due to that, my balls were pretty well crushed in transit from all the rattling around so I'm wondering if this holiday tin doesn't come with any, or if I received a defective package.

Thanks!

@Mochapj I don't know about that, sorry they were busted up a bit. What's your impression of this year's pearls? They look very coppery and golden in the picture. Do they have loose glitter in them? I have the Birthday Candies and the Snowglobe ones to compare.

RE: Re: For the love of all things Guerlain

@makeitup305 not sure how well this shows up on camera but it is quite glittery. Strangely despite the actual powder looking quite bronzey and even the puff I used to pat it on my arm showing brown patches wherever it touched the darker balls, the overall effect on my skin is still translucent and the sparkles seems mostly silvery in tone.

@makeitup305 I did get confirmation; I found someone else on IG who had bought them and she also did not get a sponge or pouf with her tin. She contacted Guerlain and they confirmed there wasn’t meant to be one.

as to the perles, I haven’t tried them on my face yet (I was a little enraged on Friday regarding their condition) but the dust at the bottom of my tin is quite coppery, even though in the jar the majority of the balls appear to be an off white shade. Not sure if the darker bronze balls were just softer and therefore crushed easier but the dust doesn’t appear to represent all the constituent parts.

@Mochapj completely understand the rage. It's kind of ridiculous to cut corners like that when it's a luxury brand. Just put cotton in it or something jeez. As for the powder, I feel like I heard somebody talk about that with a previous release, that some of the balls were softer and crumbled easier. I might wait to see if any Nordies near me get it.

That’s disappointing @Mochapj. I just ordered mine from selfridges and imagine they will be loose powder by they arrive. Maybe they thought it would be an easy way to cut corners since probably no one uses the pouf to apply? If so, someone who doesn’t wear makeup made that decision...

@lipstick4soul I'm sorry to hear that. I hope yours manages to arrive intact!

I just ordered my from Nordstrom and mine will definitely come messed up whether there is a sponge in there or not. Norstrom sell very expensive fragile things yet they send it out in a box with a piece of brown paper! I stopped ordering makeup from them but I did order the Guerlain Meteorites and now I am regretting it because all my makeup comes damaged. The customer service supervisor said they are trying to help the environment and not use certain materials to pack boxes. WELL THEN DON'T SELL FRAGILE ITEMS IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY AND PACKAGE THEM CORRECTLY. Twice I had the same eye shadow palette arrive broken all the shadows which were a very soft formula arrive broken and made a huge mess two times! They refuse to secure the items while packaging for safe keeping. Guerlain for all the money they charge should also include a puff with their meteorites I can't understand why they would not.

Hi everyone,

I’m late to the game when it comes to the Guerlain Meteorites but everyone seems to love them. I obviously don’t want to be missing out on a great thing so I’d love to hear everyone’s reasons why, specifically the pearls. And if I were to purchase some, what ones would you recommend? I like the look of the one that recently came out for holidays, but being that Meteorites are a bit pricy I want to make sure I pick the most versatile option. Is the coordinating brush a necessity? 

Looking at at all these Meteorites photos now has me craving Dippin Dots 🙂

Hi @Lucki1

Part of the interest in Meteorites is, frankly, the reputation behind the product. They've been around for about 30 years. The pearls are essentially a powder pressed into little balls. In theory, the different colours have different uses but in reality, they are all rather similar. These are like a finishing powder. 

I do find the Meteorites to be a nice finishing powder, adding a bit of healthy glow to my overall appearance. I swirly my brush in the pearls and apply it all over (usually). They will last you a while, but with regular use I finished off one tin in just over 1 year. You definitely don't need the brush. Any brush you prefer will do. (I really dislike the Guerlain Meteorites brush. It's very rough.)

Guerlain has the permanent range of Meteorites, and then often releases a few LE ones per year. In which country are you located? I'm asking because sometimes the availability of certain shades depends on your country. 

The pearls are scented (with Guerlain's violet scent). Often the holiday pearls have more shimmery and have some golden pearls. The most popular shade is 02 Clair (Light) which has been around for a while. If you want something a bit darker, try 03 Medium. 02 and 03 are very similar, but 03 is a bit warmer. I haven't used 04 Dore (Deep). 

The pearls will crumble, and you'll likely have some pearl dust in the bottom of your tin. I use the dust, so it doesn't bother me.

IMO - you won't see a drastic, magical difference if you use these. Don't get me wrong - I love my Meteorites and I'm a collector. But there's a lot of hype around these, and they aren't such a miracle or unique product given the wide range of products. But they are quite lovely. 

@lachaton Thank you, thank you, thank you! I wish I could give you many more hearts for such a thorough reply. They do sound lovely. I’m located in Canada and I read that The Bay has the holiday version, which I’m eying, already but maybe if Sephora has them by the time the sale starts next week, I can scoop them up with a discount. 

Thanks again

RE: For the love of all things Guerlain

I received my Guerlain 190 years Electric Look palette. Just some quick swatches - this palette swatches impressively for Guerlain, When typically their eyeshadows have not been the best. The top, lighter highlight is fairly glittery - it’s texture reminds me of some of the chunkier glitter ones from ABH palettes. The bottom shade doesn’t have the same glitter. There is one Demi-matters here (beige) which are a little sheer but still somewhat creamy. 3 other shades (a terracotta, Aubergine and emerald) are a satin with shimmer - these were drier than the others but still searched fairy well. The other 4 are pretty metallic and quite creamy. The lightest one is more iridescent.

Re: RE: For the love of all things Guerlain

Thank you so much for the swatches! It looks beautiful I ordered mine from Saks. I did not know what to expect it can be hit or miss with Guerlain but these swatches are very pretty. I also ordered the Ladies in all Climates powder which I must be crazy the price is insane! It is selling at Harrods in England for $145. but they aren't selling it to the States why I don't know when I click on the United States on their site the item isn't available. I wanted to get it from Selfridges because I purchased for a 50 fee free shipping to the States for a year but they don't have the Guerlain ladies in all climates powders as of yet. I get mad that a lot of foreign makeup is always priced much lower in Europe and is a lot more expensive when sold in the United States yet the United States is where they make the majority of their sales.

Tested out a few shades from this palette. No comment on wear-time yet, but here's the look

I'm wearing two shades on my eyes, along with the darker golden highlight along my cheek bones. 

On my lips, I'm wearing the new LE Rouge G Nude shade for holiday 2018.

guerlain electric look.JPG

ACS_0117.jpgACS_0116.jpg

Your look is stunning, @lachaton! I'm intrigued. Thank you for showing us the products in action!!

This is great, @lachaton! I really like the look of this...

This is great, @lachaton! I really like the look of this palette!

The swatches are surprisingly pigmented. Please let us know how they wear, @lachaton!

testing