Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Blackheads

I've just recently started using products for my face, never did before and I'm 38. 

I recently purchased The Ordinary products:

• Squalane cleanser
  • Hyaluronic acid serum
  • Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA,
  • I also have a Vitamin C serum I am using

They do a very good job at keeping my face looking fresh but I have a concern and I am not sure what product I should use with the above products I am already using; I have severe blackheads and I just wanted to see if anybody knew what product I could add into my routine that actually works.. 

Thanks! 

Re: Blackheads

@TilouM  For blackheads, try a BHA (salicylic acid) exfoliant. AHAs (like glycolic acid) can’t get down into clogged pores and degunk them. But BHA can. Consider The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Anhydrous Solution Pore Clearing Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) Blemish + Blackhead Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 8 oz / 236 mL , Paula's Choice CLEAR Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution with 2% Salicylic Acid 4 oz/ 118 mL , etc. Use it just 1-3 times a week. Some folks can handle more frequent use of a leave-on BHA product, but it’s still an exfoliant—and you do not want to over-exfoliate your skin.

If you decide to use an AHA exfoliant like The Ordinary’s glycolic acid toner, definitely keep usage to no more than 3 times a week, and don’t use it twice on the same day. It’s easier to over-exfoliate with an AHA (especially glycolic) than BHA. 

Also consider a clay mask to help loosen blackhead plugs. One that contains clay and BHA is The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . Some good non-BHA options are The INKEY List Kaolin Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and Origins Mini Clear Improvement™ Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pore 1 oz/ 30 mL . 

@TilouM , If you are looking for something by The Ordinary, you might want to try The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL . Usually BHA's are used for issues with pores and acne; but if you don't have a lot of issues with oil or breakouts, something like The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL might work, as well, as it will help exfoliate dead skin cells, which can clog pores and cause blackheads.

Thanks for the suggestions @WiscyKristi! I actually recently got the Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toning Solution but haven't started using it yet. 

Should I use it every PM? 

@TilouM , I'd give it a try, and see how your skin tolerates it - maybe every other day, or every 3 days - increasing frequency as needed, or as you build up a tolerance. For reference, I typically use solutions that are about 20%, and use them 2 - 3 times per week; but I have oily skin, and have built up a tolerance.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing