Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Best Hair Ever

oily hair help

my hair is thick and medium length but it is also verey oily i shampoo twice in the shower but it still gets oily what will help??

Hey Heart to try to help you with the oily hair issue. Im...

Hey Heart to try to help you with the oily hair issue. Im a stylist so your in fabulous hands. You might want to try a clarifying shampoo. Apply to 'scalp only' massage, don't worry about the rest of the hair shaft let the bubbles run down the hair that's considered new growth doesn't need to be scrubbed. Also if you are applying conditioner to your hair you need to apply the opposite way than shampoo. Apply conditioner 'starting' at shaft to ends of hair. If you apply conditioner to your roots that might be what is causing your oil or at least contributing to the oiliness. To cap off what I told you find your fav professional salon line and ask for a clarifying shampoo preferably phosphate free line no junk in it like alcohol so forth more gentle to the hair. And follow directions to see if it is OK for everyday use. But try not to shampoo everyday not good for the hair anyways. Good luck let me know how it works for you

I agree w/blesprincess - a clarifying shampoo could help....

I agree w/blesprincess - a clarifying shampoo could help. Just be careful not to use it everyday.

You also might want to consider factors that may be aggravating your scalp. Over-shampooing it might be drying it out thereby making your oil glands hit overdrive. You might also want to massage your scalp with a little tea tree oil to soothe it. I would also consider examining your diet - there might be some foods that are contributing to the problem, especially if you are eating a lot of processed foods.

pocketvenus is totally right, over shampooing both kills your hair shafts (especially if you have longer hair) and causes the sebaceous glands in your hair root to secrete more. You might need to change shampoos to find the one that irritates you're scalp the least.

In the mean time, my advice to you is to shampoo less frequently to let your glands re-adapt, get some dry shampoo for quick fixes on the days you're skipping out (BTW Oscar Blandi makes them in handy purse sized formats). Also, Try to use less shampoo each time you wash and try to focus it to just your crown/scalp region. The opposite goes for conditioners, try to limit that to the bottom part of your hair, starting at the level of your ears.

good luck!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors