Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

dry shampoo questions (dry hair, OILY scalp)

I have extremely oily scalp combined with dry hair/ends. I have been trying to wash my hair less to keep the ends healthier, but when I skip even a day, my scalp is so oily it looks wet. ew. enter dry shampoo (Bumble and Bumble) in aerosol form. looks great. love it. went through a full can in a month...what?! is that normal? any thoughts?

Re: dry shampoo questions (dry hair, OILY scalp)

Try Perk Up Dry Shampoo to balance oil at the roots and Silken Up Dry Conditioner to smooth and nourish your ends!

amika Perk Up Talc-Free Dry Shampoo 5.3 oz / 189 mL

AMIKA - Silken Up Dry Conditioner

RE: dry shampoo questions (dry hair, OILY scalp)

The bumble and bumble dry shampoo they make one for oily hair and one for dry hair they work awesome!

@jaycatmac 

I looooove the Bumble aerosol dry shampoo, it's my favorite out of dozens I've tried. Unfortunately though, it goes quick if you are using it regularly (and that goes for any aerosol, not just bumble)...based on the usage I get out of their mini sample cans, I figured out the full size would last me about a month as well. At that price...well, nope, it won't be in my life very often. 😥

Loose powders (bumble's version is fantastic) definitely last longer, but can be a little trickier to get the hang of and find an application technique that works for you. I generally alternate days with aerosol vs loose, but put my Bumble powder into an empty Alterna powder pump bottle...I found trying to sprinkle the bumble either on my head directly or into my hand to be messy and I never got consistent amounts. The Alterna bottle isn't perfect, but it's better and I'm happy with it. 

If I ever finish off my stash of aerosol minis and travels from gwps etc, I could see myself moving over to loose powder full time. It's way cheaper, and much better for the environment. It's not as common, (bumble, Alterna and Klorane are the only three I can think of off the top of my head, though I'm positive there are more) but definitely something to consider. 😊

@jaycatmac I dry shampoo twice a week, and I love the loose powder form.  I find it lasts a long time for me.  I love KLORANE - Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk - Loose Powder Formula

This one does have a spray option, but it is non-aerosol.  I wonder if it would last longer for you.  I use mine in a nozzle bottle, though.  Good luck!

@jaycatmac I'm also a dry shampoo junkie out of a combo of laziness and color processed hair and have the same issue with oily roots, so so feel your pain 😕 In the summer I wash my hair almost daily because of the heat and working out, but in the winter, I'd say a full sized bottle of Living Proof (my dry shampoo of choice) would last about 6 weeks, used every other day-ish, mostly directed at my part/roots/crown. The trick for me is using the dry shampoo before my roots get visibly greasy (so like a day and half after washing) right before bed so there's enough time for the oil to absorb, keeps my hair fresher for an extra day vs just using it in the morning.

I alternate between Living Proof and Klorane and it just so happens that a couple of times a year, Ulta has 50% off deals on both, so I usually load up then. Otherwise, I just cry salty tears 😞 

@jaycatmac I feel like I go through a can usually every 4-6 weeks. I have a lot of hair and am down to only washing my hair twice a week so I do use a decent amount of dry shampoo. 

My favorite expensive one is deff the drybar invisible dry shampoo but I tend to save it for weeks when I have more going on/going out after work. For weeks when I'm just going to work I use Bastiste which is also awesome but like way cheaper 

@jaycatmac My scalp gets pretty oily by 2 day for me as well. I have tried various dry shampoos (including the B&B one) and for using dry shampoo every other day, it is pretty typical for me to go through a whole can in a month as well. I am currently using 

Drybar Detox Clear Invisible Dry Shampoo 3.5 oz/ 100 gand love the results I get from it because aside from soaking up all the oils, it also goes on clear so there’s no more white residue at the crown of my head anymore.

Some of my other favorites so far are:

LIVING PROOF - Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo

amika Perk Up Talc-Free Dry Shampoo 5.3 oz / 189 mL

Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo 3.5 oz/ 150 mL Original Scent(although I don’t like the smell, it does work pretty good).

dry shampoo questions (dry hair, OILY scalp)

I use an Ogx one from the drugstore but I find the trick with dry shampoo is giving it time to absorb oils. Maybe try applying it at night before going to sleep. To lessen usage I only apply at my part and front hairline/bangs.
8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing