Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Best Hair Ever

Who has or had ombre colored hair?

Let's just put it this way...I wanted a natural looking ombre on my dark blonde hair. I went to my colorist the other day to get the bottom portion of my hair lightened a little more than the rest of my hair and it came out gold, but not quite brassy which I later used a purple shampoo to tone it down since he didn't put a toner on me after he applied the color. No big deal right?

Well anyway, I was going for the Lauren Conrad ombre look and soon realized it just wasn't meant for me after he colored it. No offense to my colorist, he did a great job for someone that has many layers and side bangs, but I personally don't like the look on me. So I plan on going in on Saturday to hopefully (crossing my fingers) to get something along the lines of this look:

I really adore the way the light hits those colors, it's ungodly gorgeous in my opinion and compliments the model's skin tone perfectly. I know it won't look like this on me, but we do share close to the same skin tone. I truly hope the ombre comes out :/ I'm a perfectionist when it comes to detail and colors, so the littlest thing wrong (which may not be wrong in someone else's eyes) will bug me like nobody's business! 

Anybody else out there had a bad experience with ombre or it just wasn't meant for you? What was the process you used in order to get rid of the ombre effect or did you go to a salon and get it professionally corrected?

Re: Who has or had ombre colored hair?

what about having a colorist do a bunch of low lights (similar to the color of your roots)? That way you can have that beachy look and have the blonde peek through on the bottom but it wont be completely blonde. ?

I LOVE that models hair - looks super natural but beachy- have you thought of having your colorist try Balayage?

Low lights are a great idea, I will collaborate some of these suggestions and see what he thinks on Saturday! 

Yes, I love balayage. That's how he usually does my hair, but then I was feeling rebellious...and well you catch my drift. Haha

I've colored several of my friends hair to the ombre effect and they loved it, but it was also what they wanted to go for.

Depending on your hair's color and condition, it's always safest to go to a salon and leave it in the hands of a professional, they will also be the best at handling hair that may be previously color treated or highlighted to match the bottom, ombre areas back to the rest of the hair.

If you're looking for a quicker, temporary fix or transition at home and find your ombre to be too stark in contrast to the rest of your hair, try purchasing a semi permanent color in a few shades up from the ombre portion but still slighter than your natural color or the color that is the upper portions. Do a strand test and leave the color on hair for about half of the time suggested. This will ensure not as high of a level of saturation occurs and if you do wish the color to be upped some, you can do another strand test and find a good time to leave the semi permanent color in for. As the color washes out it can give you some time to see if you might want to stick with the look or just alter it entirely.

I've had ombre for almost 2 years now & love it. If you're not happy with it, go back & get it fixed. To not harm my long dirty blonde hair too much, my colorist didn't do a single process, but used the hair painting balayage technique. I had to go back & get it fixed the first time because I didn't like the transition area, so they cleaned it up with a few more highlights & bit more color on the ends. I now get it colored just twice a year. It's so easy & effortless. 

Just call them & tell them you're not happy & you want it fixed. Make sure to bring in photos of what you want & talk to your colorists. 

Glad to see someone who loves their ombre! Thanks for the advice Smiley Happy

My stylist did an amazing ombre - she did it by teasing my hair before applying the bleach which allowed for the natural feathering effect!

Update: It's fixed!

Heavily applied low lights to ends of hair, now it all blends.

Ombre just wasn't meant for me afterall, but that's ok I'm happy Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

I'm glad it worked out in the end! 

@spyski can we see a pic?! I am so happy it worked out for you!

Hopefully later after work!

YESSSSS! Im excited to see it. I bet it looks awesome

Update:

I'm really happy with the results of my un-ombre!!! My hair dresser basically painted a neutral brown color from the ends up to my mid section while managing to have hints of my blonde to show through. I wish I had a better photo, but this has been a really busy week for me, here's a quick pic of my hair after blow drying it (no styling products used) @roxystar4 this is for you! 

Pardon my frizzy ends Smiley Happy

it looks awesome!  Thank you for sharing. I like it better!  The color brown your colorist chose was nice too.  I like how you can still see some blonde peeking through. It looks like the blonde that is shimmering through in the models hair in your first post

You're too kind Smiley Happy

Now all I need is to find something for my brittle ends, blah. Searching for new products can be time consuming, especially reading reviews. 

The addition of the brown adds so much more dimension! Definitely gives more life to your ends rather than having it one color at the bottom across the board! I like it!

Thank you lylysa! I like the definition too

I bet it would be super gorgeous is you ended up braiding your hair for soft waves or using a salt/texturizing spray so the waves/shape would pick up on all the facets of color!!! Oooooo, if you end up styling it up, snap more pix!

Good ideas >.<

I'll put the curling wand to it sometime this week. I always feel "put together" when I wand my hair. Like the same feeling ya get when ya put on a good pair of pumps!

Oooo, can't wait to see! Smiley Very Happy

Gorgeous, I really like it! 

Thanks kenny, hope to style it soon when I have the time! Smiley Happy

Your welcome, it'll look so pretty curled

Looks gorgeous Spyski, I love it!

That's sweet of you Smiley Happy Thanks!

You've been given some good advice and it seems like a ton of ladies on the board have already rocked the ombre trend (including me). Last fall I did a medium purple ombre which I loved!

What I liked most about it is the fact that it was relatively easy to maintain. I find that ombre and end dyed tresses look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G curled. It just adds the perfect pretty amount of depth with little to no effort.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • hr.jpg
  • get-attachment.jpg
  • IMG_4380.JPG
  • photo-96 2.jpg
  • get-attachment.jpg
  • 1176245_715299305152779_396280424_n.jpg