Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Best Hair Ever

When it comes to shampooing your hair, do you care if it's sulfate-free or not?

I've been in cosmetology school for a month (a redken salon) and a lot of my instructors seem to have mixed feelings on the subject. Personally I lean towards sulfate-free because I've noticed the change in my hair (good ones). I heard sulfates strips your hair of it's natural moisture, which depending on how often you wash your hair can be damaging. Some people say though it's just a gimmick to make you buy something you believe is better for your hair. Opinions?

Also what do you use at home for your shampoo and conditioner.

Re: When it comes to shampooing your hair, do you care if it's sulfate-free or not?

Before I tried sulfate free I didn't care what was in it, but once I tried it, I never went back! I noticed a huge difference in my hair. It's softer and healthier now. I actually ran out of my sulfate free once and I had to use regular and my hair felt like straw after I shampooed. 

Re: When it comes to shampooing your hair, do you care if it's sulfate-free or not?

That's what I feel. I learned you should only shampoo once a week because it's less damaging on your hair. I started the class shampooing every other day and now do about twice a week. I'm still working towards that once a week even with dry shampooing. My hair was really damaged before and fell out a lot. Since I've changed my routine my hair stopped falling out and actually is starting to grow back and is a lot healthier and more strong.

I only wash mine at most 2 times a week (unless I have buildup), I've always contributed that to why it's so healthy.

I wish I could only shampoo it a couple days a week! My hair is oily and I've heard if you stick with it for a while it won't become oily anymore, but I just can't stand my hair greasy/oily. I've tried numerous dry shampoos, and they make my hair look much better, but don't take away that gross feeling of dirty hair. I wish I could, but I just can't do that, haha

I feel you that's how I was with my skin at first when I heard you need to moisturize even when you have oily skin. Getting better at it Smiley Very Happy

I don't personally search out sulfate-free formula, but I also have always had super healthy hair, so I don't notice a difference in any particular formula besides how moisturizing a conditioner is. My current favorite is TIGI Catwalk Your Highness and it is sulfate-free. It smells sooooo good! I found them for half off at TJ Maxx.

I got samples of the Alterna shampoo and really liked it too Smiley Very Happy

I really want to try alterna and now you got me wanting to try the tigi one as well. Perks for being a cosmetology student is I can go into a beauty supplies store and get them about half off. Which now has created a haircare/products hoarding for me to join the makeup and skincare.

I just tried a second sample of Alterna and this duo is now in my loves list. My hair is so soft, I can't stop touching it.

I think we did the same thing! I tried the sample duo the other day and was like...no...NO I can't buy another shampoo and conditioner! Ugh, it's in my loves list too. Made my hair salon-soft and that's coming from hair is very color treated and porous! I was blown away. 

Yesss I have the Catwalk liters and SilkySexyHair liters and I'm so tempted to just give the latter away and get these! 

I don't see any difference in my hair if I use sulfate free or regular shampoo.  I only wash my hair about 2 times a week, 3 if it is really hot & my hair is sweaty.  If I wash it more than that it gets really dry and unmanageable.  I also deep condition my hair once a month.  

Now my BFF washes her hair everyday and has found that using sulfate free helps with her hair.  She isn't as dry and doesn't have the breakage she did before.

I'd be interested to hear if you answer this thread whether or not your shampoo really is sulfate free (i.e. no lather whatsoever). Also I don't know the ins and outs of the science behind this so you know, if you do, feel free to share Smiley Happy.

I have used both types. I tried devacurl's no poo. Can't stand it. I feel like I am losing more hair just by the difficulty of trying to run it through my hair to clean my scalp. Not a fan. Did not notice any additional softness or improvement.

Now I have finished a whole bottle of the Loreal Everpure Sulfate-free color care system shampoo (the kind that smell herbal). I loved this! I think in general it also helped that the formula was creamier and less gel-like than my typical shampoo and it was designed for smoothing. This does say sulfate-free but there are other versions of sulf- type dervatives on the ingredients list so it does still lather. I do not plan on repurchasing this though as I am trying to now avoid parabens in my products. I liked how this made my hair feel and look. I used it after demi-permanently dying my hair and was pleased with the results.

I am now trying out some higher end products like Living Proof and the Agave line shampoos. It doesn't appear that the living proof shampoos have any sulfate or sulf- type ingredients in them but they do lather. I also like the Agave. The agave oil is a miracle product for me so I wanted to try out the shampoo/conditioner. I haven't used any of these enough to comment and have not noticed any apparent differences now having used each once. Unfortunately I have only small samples of the living proof (thanks to the thread about emailing companies, though!).

In general, I continue to plan on only buying sulfate-free, paraben free shampoos that are geared towards "smoothing" and "frizz fighting."

I'm still learning lol but you are spot on there is different types of sulfates. I think the one everyone tries to escape is the Sodium laureth sulfate.

I believe I missed the thread on emailing companies??? What's that about.

Search for the thread "what companies have you gotten samples from?" (it's that or very close to that) - I only emailed living proof since I don't need a lot of excess stuff laying around and I wanted to try some of their other products. But if youre diligent you can email a lot of companies and get free stuff! The thread is helpful because it gives an idea of what companies tend to send out free samples. It helps to tell them about your hair or your skin - tell them why you're interested. In your case being in school might be a good reason!

Thanks! I already started writing people. Unfortunately the majority doesn't want to give me samples to try. One company so far (Malibu) has been very generous and helpful. It's a shame people now a days aren't more giving. 

I saw that you didn't care for Deva No-Poo. Have you looked into Curl Junkie at all?  Their products are a bit more natural than Deva. They have both a cleansing conditioner (similar to No-Poo, but I found it more moisturizing).  They also have a low lather sulfate-free shampoo (similar to Deva Low-Poo). Their website also has a really nice grid to help pick out the right products for your hair, and I've heard that their owner is very helpful if you email questions to her. 

I will check that out! I think I am just a low poo girl (heh heh). I Am still on the hunt!

I'm a (mostly) recovering hair product junkie. I can recommend tons of brands and suggestions, because I've tried a lot of them. Curl Junkie is nice- I don't usually get their cleansers and conditioners anymore because my hair does okay with Deva, which I can get on the ground. But I LOVE their Curl Queen Gel. Their shampoo (similar to Deva Low-Poo) will leave your hair feeling very different as compared to a sulfate shampoo. There is definitely no "squeaky" clean feeling, but my hair is fine in texture, and I've never had any issues with build up or weigh-down. It's just wwits initially adjusting to the feeling of clean but not totally stripped. 

With coloring I've found that sulfate-free is better for my hair. I've also found that using a shampoo and conditioner with protein really helps my hair. I also do a coconut oil hair treatment at least once a week that I leave in overnight. 

I used to always be blonde and now that I'm more red/strawberry I have to baby my hair a bit more because it's more noticeable if it's not in good shape with the darker color. 

Sulfate free! As a curly girl, I rarely let shampoo touch my locks. When I do though, it's always all natural, botanical ingredient and no yucky sulfates which strip my hair and dry it out.

I didn't like sulfate-free shampoos at first because whatever I was using didn't feel like it was cleaning my hair. At first, Living Proof was working for me, but then I'd end up with oily, blah hair. I went back to my Bumble & bumble Thickening, which always makes my hair feel clean.

I got my hair colored professionally plus bellage and it cost me an arm and a leg. I wanted to preserve the color, so I went back to sulfate-free. I am now using Bumble & bumble Color Minded. My color is as vibrant as when it was first done, plus my hair actually feels clean.

Good to know about the LP!

Hi, ashleynne!  I use Free & Clear Shampoo and Conditioner.  It's "free and clear" of dyes, lanolin, fragrance, masking agents, proteins, parabens, and formaldehyde.  I wash my hair about 3x/wk and sometimes use the conditioner in between.  I've been really happy since discovering this shampoo and conditioner.  One (or more) of these ingredients was causing my scalp to itch furiously.  I know for certain fragrance was one.  I would love for there to be more fragrance-free products on the market!

I have tried to use natural shampoo for a couple of years now, and I prefer them over normal shampoos. I have always had long, healthy thick hair, so I do not know what difference it has made.

52 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • rrlfb552_201305151308221968.jpg