Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|
Anonymous Insider

When it comes to shampooing your hair, do you care if it's sulfate-free or not?

I've been in cosmetology school for a month (a redken salon) and a lot of my instructors seem to have mixed feelings on the subject. Personally I lean towards sulfate-free because I've noticed the change in my hair (good ones). I heard sulfates strips your hair of it's natural moisture, which depending on how often you wash your hair can be damaging. Some people say though it's just a gimmick to make you buy something you believe is better for your hair. Opinions?

Also what do you use at home for your shampoo and conditioner.

Anonymous Insider

Re: When it comes to shampooing your hair, do you care if it's sulfate-free or not?

Thanks! I already started writing people. Unfortunately the majority doesn't want to give me samples to try. One company so far (Malibu) has been very generous and helpful. It's a shame people now a days aren't more giving. 

Re: When it comes to shampooing your hair, do you care if it's sulfate-free or not?

I don't see any difference in my hair if I use sulfate free or regular shampoo.  I only wash my hair about 2 times a week, 3 if it is really hot & my hair is sweaty.  If I wash it more than that it gets really dry and unmanageable.  I also deep condition my hair once a month.  

Now my BFF washes her hair everyday and has found that using sulfate free helps with her hair.  She isn't as dry and doesn't have the breakage she did before.

I don't personally search out sulfate-free formula, but I also have always had super healthy hair, so I don't notice a difference in any particular formula besides how moisturizing a conditioner is. My current favorite is TIGI Catwalk Your Highness and it is sulfate-free. It smells sooooo good! I found them for half off at TJ Maxx.

rrlfb552_201305151308221968.jpgI got samples of the Alterna shampoo and really liked it too 😄

Anonymous Insider

I really want to try alterna and now you got me wanting to try the tigi one as well. Perks for being a cosmetology student is I can go into a beauty supplies store and get them about half off. Which now has created a haircare/products hoarding for me to join the makeup and skincare.

I just tried a second sample of Alterna and this duo is now in my loves list. My hair is so soft, I can't stop touching it.

I think we did the same thing! I tried the sample duo the other day and was like...no...NO I can't buy another shampoo and conditioner! Ugh, it's in my loves list too. Made my hair salon-soft and that's coming from hair is very color treated and porous! I was blown away. 

Yesss I have the Catwalk liters and SilkySexyHair liters and I'm so tempted to just give the latter away and get these! 

Before I tried sulfate free I didn't care what was in it, but once I tried it, I never went back! I noticed a huge difference in my hair. It's softer and healthier now. I actually ran out of my sulfate free once and I had to use regular and my hair felt like straw after I shampooed. 

Anonymous Insider

That's what I feel. I learned you should only shampoo once a week because it's less damaging on your hair. I started the class shampooing every other day and now do about twice a week. I'm still working towards that once a week even with dry shampooing. My hair was really damaged before and fell out a lot. Since I've changed my routine my hair stopped falling out and actually is starting to grow back and is a lot healthier and more strong.

I wish I could only shampoo it a couple days a week! My hair is oily and I've heard if you stick with it for a while it won't become oily anymore, but I just can't stand my hair greasy/oily. I've tried numerous dry shampoos, and they make my hair look much better, but don't take away that gross feeling of dirty hair. I wish I could, but I just can't do that, haha

I feel you that's how I was with my skin at first when I heard you need to moisturize even when you have oily skin. Getting better at it 😄

I only wash mine at most 2 times a week (unless I have buildup), I've always contributed that to why it's so healthy.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • rrlfb552_201305151308221968.jpg
testing