Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Tips for Traveling to Europe with Heat Tools?

Hi Beauties!

I'm planning my first trip to Europe (Hungary, mainly) in a couple months and am concerned with being able to use my heat tools...I have a lot of hair that I try to take particular care of, and I'm attending a wedding - so I need to look polished.

I have a Velecta Paramount hair dryer, an amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush, and their Switch Kit curling iron. 

I mention the specific tools I have so that I can ask the following:

• Has anyone traveled to EU with these specific tools, or similar? Did you use a converter - which one?
  • Has anyone tried just ordering new tools from a EU seller so that the tools have the right hardware? If so, any suggestions on similar quality tools to look at?

I'm also curious to see if anyone has other thoughts/ideas/suggestions on the topic that I haven't thought to ask about.

Thanks!!

Re: Tips for Traveling to Europe with Heat Tools?

Blow dryers never fare well and usually die with different voltage unless you buy a travel dryer which has dual voltage. That is what I do and Sephora has a great mini dryer that works well for this purpose. 

GHD generally has dual voltage on their items as well. I take my flat iron (can also curl) everywhere and never have an issue with it. 

I personally wouldn't risk it and either buy travel versions with dual voltage or buy there. You could also get your hair done at a salon before the wedding if you are worried about not being polished enough. 

I don't know if you already traveled. I bought the Buttercup travel dual voltage hair dryer (don't forget to turn the little switch at the bottom for changing voltage). It worked great. You just need an adapter (Not the converter). Amazing power for such a tiny size. Hotels have them but it is a risk as some of them are really low voltage. If that is enough for you it should be ok. But I have thick coarse long hair. I need a powerful one for proper hair style.

I don't think it is worth taking.  Just buy when you get there.  There are tons of CVS type stores all over EU.

Price is the same as home, too.

Or, borrow.  Most hotels provide these tools as well. 

It is random, too.  You never know when it is gonna blow.......but, these tools WILL blow!  

Also as far as buying a converter, they're typically pretty bulky and heavy and you may not even need one.  Most cell phones, tablets, and laptops are dual voltage so you would just need the plug adapter.  Look at all of your electronic devices to see if they are dual voltage.  You can buy kits with just the adapters or if your devices are all equipped with USB cords, you can buy a USB adapter where you can switch the plug styles.  I travel with a dual USB adapter so I can charge 2 devices at the same time.

Even with the converter, you might still fry your styling  tools due to the voltage difference.  Check to see if your styling tools are dual voltage. They will read 110-220 volts on either the device or the plug.  If they are dual voltage, you should just need the appropriate plug adapter, not a converter.  When I travel, I use an inexpensive travel dual voltage hairdryer that I can manually switch between the 2 voltages and is tiny.  However I don't do a lot with my hair other than using a hairdryer.

I did look up the specs on your tools.  The Velecta Paramount looks like it's 110 V only.  The Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush looks like it's 120 V only.  The Amika Switch Kit does look like it's dual voltage.  I would double check yours to be certain.

As far as ordering hair tools, buying European items here would be pretty pricey.  I would recommend either investing in dual voltage hair tools or purchasing European tools once you get there.  Also check which outlets are used in the countries you're traveling in.  Most of the EU has the same outlets with the exception of Britain and Ireland having one style and Switzerland and Italy having another style.

I've used and loved the Conair Dual-Voltage Mini Curling Iron. It works as well for my hair as a full sized curling iron. If it had an auto shut off, I'd use it exclusively whether I was traveling or not. You do need a plug converter (cheap), but not a voltage converter (not as cheap) for using it in Europe.

I would check with the hotel about the hair dryer. Every hotel I've stayed at in Europe has had one in the room.

Other random stuff...

Italy's plugs are different from the rest of Europe's.

I took a voltage converter with me the first time I went, but it wasn't needed. Just extra weight. 

Depending on how much traveling you're doing once you're over there, you might want to consider only bringing a carry on. Large suit cases are the devil with trains and train stations.

I was surprised by how many places had a clothes line in the shower area for washing and drying your own clothes and undergarments.

The next time I go, I'm planning on taking a carry-on and buying a larger suitcase for purchases while I'm there. Something to consider...

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing