Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Thoughts on age and hair color

What's the general opinion out there about women over 40 with unusual hair colors (blue, purple, etc.)? Do you think it's ridiculous? I've always wanted dark blue hair but have also always so dreaded the court of public opinion that I've never done it. Heck, I probably won't now, but it's fun to think about, and I'd like to know what you think, too! 

Re: Thoughts on age and hair color

@AndieKat The older I get, the less I care what others think. I see people even older than 40 with fantasy colored hair and I love it! The only reason I don't have pink hair right now is the fact that I would have to bleach my brunette hair and I don't wanna ruin it lol.

Personally, I think by the time anyone of any age is putting fantasy color in their hair they shouldn't be bothered about what other people think of it!  If you want blue then get blue!  It's your life.  Blue is fun!  Put a notch in your belt!  People's heads will turn in your direction because, well, your hair is blue.  Be prepared for that, but have fun with it!  If you wear it with confidence then people can't say a thing. @AndieKat

i have a friend in her 50s who is currently sporting neon yellow and she looks fantastic!  Go for it! 

I personally have never put unusual and unique colors in my hair, and I'm in my 20's, but I don't have the personality, lifestyle, or career for that sort of thing. I think some of the recent trends are super pretty and may consider it if I felt it were more appropriate for me. It's ultimately up to you though. If it matches other areas of your life and you're feeling bold, go for it. If would be a little too out of the ordinary, maybe not work appropriate, etc., you can always play around with wigs, clip ins, and extensions if you want the look without the commitment. 

I certainly don't think unusual hair colors are ridiculous. I don't think age should dictate hair color, and I love seeing beautiful colors on anyone. I say just do you!

I'm with Dr Seuss on this "people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind" go for it! 

I have never heard that Dr. Seuss quote before. Love it!

Age is only a number! 

The court of public opinion is likely worse in your head than it is in real life...and frankly, the ones judging the hardest are often insecure themselves. Don't worry about them...hold your blue hair up high and have fun with it!

I'm 41 years old and just bought some purple temporary dye myself...just gotta find a day when I can get my sis to help me so I don't turn out a streaky mess lol. I've never done anything more wild than red or black before, and am a bit nervous myself, but...why not? 

I used to see an older lady at a place I frequented quite often, in her 60s or 70s, that was very prim and proper and well put together and otherwise "normal" in her styling, but she drew her eyebrows in with a gorgeous deep teal pencil. They were glorious and I loved that she was still having fun with her look even in a small way. 

I see so much advice about "too old for glitter" "too old for shimmer" "too old for color"...I call BS on all of it. Have fun and enjoy whatever it is that makes you happy 😊

@AndieKat

@AndieKat My mom is about the same age as you and has rocked coloured hair for years. Don't pay attention to what others say 🙂 Dark blue hair sounds gorgeous. 

It's on your head, so the only opinion that matters is your own! I've seen women in their 80s rocking rainbow hair. 

RE: Thoughts on age and hair color

Color has no age limit!! It's all about how it's done. As long as it's tasteful I see no issue in woman exploring color options. I'm a cosmetologist and I use my mom as a dummy for so many different colors and she runs a prison. Talk to your stylist about adding a little dark blue and see what your options are. Start with a semi permanent color too that way it's an easy change if you decide you're not feeling it.
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 68 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing