Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Thick Hair Advice

I have super thick hair, and it is a lot to take care of. Currently it is quite long as well so thick + long = a mess! Recently I’ve noticed my shampoo + conditioner haven’t been working like they used to. I’ve seen thick haired people with luxurious hair and I’ve never gotten that. Mine is so oily at roots and dry at ends. I’m so hesitant to use conditioner at times because of the oily roots! I do shed a ton of hair though. Any advice on shampoo, conditioner, styling for I have no clue where to begin there! TIA! 

Re: Thick Hair Advice

@kwidapie My hair is thick and long, and it can certainly be overwhelming.  (Once everything quiets down, I'm gonna get a serious cut.)  Anyhow, I've discovered over some things that have worked for me.

Shampoo: Pureology Mini Hydrate Shampoo for Dry, Color-Treated Hair 1.7 oz was a game-changer for me.  I think the secret to the success is that it's sulfate-free.  But it still lathers!  My hair was like night and day afterwards, and the spongey-ness I had started to feel went away.  I also got a good tip from BIC to try to decrease how much shampoo I use.  That was another game-changer.

Conditioner: I recently discovered Redken All Soft Heavy Cream Super Treatment and it has been great.  (A BIC rec, btw.)  I think it's good b/c it has silicones in it.  If you are looking for a silicone-free option, I used Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm for years.  

Hair oils: I jumped on that band wagon early, and haven't looked back.  I use one by Matrix now that's discontinued, and might be in the market for a new one.  I used Bumble and bumble Mini Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Frizz Reducing Hair Oil 0.85 oz/ 25 mL for a year and it is quite popular.  I like to use oil on my hair after I'm done flat ironing.  But it's also a lifesaver for the rare occasion when I don't flat iron - it smooths everything out.

Dry shampoo: This can allow you to address those oily roots so that you can skip washes - which means the dry areas of your hair will get a little break.  I totally prefer loose powder formulas.  I use Klorane, which Sephora recently stopped carrying - but you can get it at Ulta.

Styling treatment: IDK what texture hair you have or what style you're trying to achieve.  However, I think silicones do a lot for my hair.  I use Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum, and it makes my hair look/feel softer and silkier.  My sister has what I call 'typical' hair (lucky her) and evens he uses it.  I also think that It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product really is a miracle.  It brought vibrancy back to my hair and made it look so much healthier.

I hope some of these recs are helpful for you.  Let us know how it goes!  🙂

Re: Thick Hair Advice

@greeneyedgirl107 Thank you so much! I’ll definitely be looking into some of these products 🙂

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing