Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

GeorginaBT Hair Diary.gif

Gather ‘round for short story time, BIC! Early this year, in a very Georgina-style act of “rebellion,” I decided to bleach and tone my black hair to try out life on the blonde side. Not gonna lie – I loved how the color turned out. I’ve even recently started maintaining it with Moroccanoil Blonde Perfecting Purple Shampoo 6.7 oz/ 200 mL and Drybar Blonde Ale Color-Enhancing Brightening Hair Mask 6 oz/ 177 mL. These have both been key for combatting brassiness while being gentle on my locks.

However, there was one aspect of bleaching my hair that I was underprepared for: the resulting damage. For context, hair has always been somewhat of a struggle for me. Growing up, I wrestled with inconsistent curl patterns, constant frizz, and overwhelming thickness. Problems I already had with my natural hair texture were exacerbated by overprocessing it! Many of you know that I’ve been on a damage-control kick recently (MAJOR shoutout to Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 8.5 oz / 250 mL and Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!™ Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL for keeping my hair manageable while the damage grows out), but my road to recovery is far from over.

So! I am starting this thread to document my hair journey and hold myself accountable for my haircare … and I hope you’ll join in with me! 😊 This hair diary is a collective space for us to all share the current state of our hair, discuss what we want to maintain or improve, and exchange tips and tricks.

For your first diary entry, reply to this thread with answers to these questions:

• My hair type is:
  • I love this about my hair:
  • I want to improve this about my hair:

After answering the questions above, remember to respond with your updates to share! Let’s be sure to encourage each other on our unique hair journeys, and leave any advice you have for other Beauty Insider Community members.

Click the spoiler tab below to see my first hair diary entry:

Spoiler
  1. My hair type is: Thick! Frizzy! Curly AND wavy AND straight! When I say my hair is thick, I am referring to both the individual strands and the overall volume. My curls have always been tighter at my roots and wavy once they grow out; the top layer of my hair, however, is straighter than the rest. My natural hair color is black.
  2. I love this about my hair: My hair does not get oily quickly: before I bleached it, I could go about three days without washing it. After bleaching, I tend to wash it even less frequently. My scalp seems to be in pretty good health.
  3. I want to improve this about my hair: Where do I begin! For starters, I am trying to grow out the damaged, bleached bits of my hair rather than dye over them. Eventually, I’ll just be cutting the blonde parts off – even if that potentially means going full pixie cut. 😊 We’ll see! In the meantime, I plan to keep using gentle purple haircare to keep the cool tones of my hair. Long-term end goal? To better embrace my hair in whatever state it’s in: texture, color and all. 💓

RE: The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

Chi serum is a wonderful smelling and softening product. You will see a difference first time used.

Re: The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

second entry. so after the 48 hour mark after getting it dyed, basically when it was ok to wash all the dye came out. so I had to get it fixed. (luckily for free, i'm on a low buy no buy which i will already have to break for a different shampoo and conditioner) hopefully it stays this time. I learned at least according to the salon i went to to get it dyed. that Thickening agents  aren't good for temporary hair dye. though I say this with a grain of salt. because. when I first originally got it dyed. that salon person said the bumble and bumble thickening shampoo and conditioner was ok to use. when i got it fixed. the second salon person at the same place said the opposite. I just hope the purple stays this time. they put a lot more purple in this time. and chose a darker shade. they say its supposed to last three months. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. and going out and buying their now recommended shampoo and conditioner. I am happy with how my hair turned out. though I do miss some of the bleach streaks that were there the first go around. anyways in each selfie the purple looks different because of different lighting. 

Photo Jun 24, 5 46 42 PM.jpgCC85EC72-AAB1-49CF-9631-F33D156DC578.jpeg

What a pretty shade of purple @WhereYouStand!! ❤️ 

Thank you @GeorginaBT  🙂

RE: Re: The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

First Entry... My hair type is: fine, my hair color dirty blonde. and ithas a subtle wave. I love this about my hair:it tends to beach wave well when i put in products like Bumble & Bumble surf spray or similar products.. which is good because that is about the extent of skills i have at styling my own hair. I want to improve this about my hair. I just had my first haircut/trim in over a year (I also got foils if bleach and pastel purple in my hair see pics the last pic is the back of my hair near sunlight which is why it looks so different from the other two). the ends of my hair before the cut were fried and felt almost straw like and matted terribly. I need to get better atgetting regular hair trims. I also want to have healthier roots mine are always somewhat flat any day of the week i find it not flattering to have the rest of my hair somewhatfluffy and the roots flat. it helps when i add dry shampoo up there . so I'm guessing it has to do with oil but im not really sure. the rest of my hair is not as flat. I don't know if this means i'm accidentally placing my conditioner to high in my hair and same with my hair masks. or if I'm washing my hair too frequently which is around every day to every other day depending. implementing hair masks weekly. finding and using better quality shampoo & Conditioner I was using Pantene shampoo and conditioner and the salon i went to told me to not even finish the bottle just to throw it out. which I did immediately.

Re: RE: Re: The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

@WhereYouStand I hear you on getting regular trims! And YES, dry shampoo is life. I don't know what I would do without amika Perk Up Talc-Free Dry Shampoo 5.3 oz / 189 mL. Definitely recommend it if you find that your roots are getting too oily quickly! 

Re: RE: Re: The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

Thanks @GeorginaBT I'll have to look into trying out the AMIKA dry shampoo 🙂

• My hair type is:Thin. Very thin. But I have a ton of my very thin hair which makes it look like I have thick hair until I put it up into a pony tail lol Natural colour 🤷🏼‍♀️ My roots tend to be a dirty blonde to light brown. I haven’t seen my natural hair colour since I was maybe 15 .
  • I love this about my hair: My hair takes to colour well. I can go from a dark brown to blonde usually in 1 step. Not by me but by a professional!! Which I love. I don’t need to go through a long process to change colour!!
  • I want to improve this about my hair: Texture, moisture and length. I was wearing my hair up for my job and I was getting headaches really bad from always wearing it up. So I decided to cut my hair. I ended up taking about 9 inches off. Now I want my long hair back. 

• @GeorginaBT 

@ather Woo 9 inches is a big change! I keep cutting my hair to nab any split ends as soon as they appear, but I sometimes miss long hair too. I'm mentally preparing myself for a pixie cut once my blonde grows out and my roots are long enough ... so wish me luck. 😄 I suggest massaging your scalp frequently to improve blood circulation! I'm trying to get better about doing it - hoping that will speed up the growth process even just a tiny bit. 

@GeorginaBT 

If you have an oily scalp that will stimulate oil production. 
I don’t think I’m ballsy enough for a pixie. I had a lob a few years ago and totally rocked it but that’s as short as I can do. My hair grows very fast, my lob is now just below mid back after 2 years. 

@GG84 Good call! If anything, I think my scalp is pretty balanced but maybe leans more on the dry side. While I have you, do you know if it's common for folks to have oily skin but a dry scalp? Now that I'm thinking about it, I feel like I'm experiencing a bit of a mismatch. 😄 

I always love a lob! I think what I really miss about long hair is how pretty it looks in an updo. Otherwise, it's just so convenient not having to fuss with super long hair, especially since I'm a chronic straightener. 

@GeorginaBT  Wow a pixie cut!!! I think you will rock it!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!! 😊 I actually have a scalp massager I need to remember to use it more! 

That's so great that your hair takes to color so well @ather! 🙂 I can get impatient with sitting through the whole process. lol. How long are you looking to grow your hair back - to the 9 inches you took off? More?

@itsfi  I would definitely like the 9 inches back. But I also know I get hot in the summer with lots of hair. So we will see. I also change my mind all the time 🤣

The Hair Diary Thread: Our Journey to Healthy Hair!

All done doing my hair today☺

Pretty color @Carmenatty!

Thank you☺

Thank you☺

@Carmenatty I love your hair color! Beautiful!

Best,

Rebecca

Thank you Rebecca BT❤

Thank you Rebecca BT❤

Beautiful @Carmenatty! ❤️ 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 56 replies
  • 279 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos8
  • GeorginaBT Hair Diary.gif
  • B413990E-F190-4318-92D5-A83F94FDD34C.jpeg
  • Photo Jun 24, 5 46 42 PM.jpg
  • CC85EC72-AAB1-49CF-9631-F33D156DC578.jpeg
testing