Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

bump!

current hair status: manageable. 

i think adding the DEVACURL heaven-in-hair treatment to my routine was exactly what my hair was wanting.

doing a lot for a look that i want to appear as 'wash and go'. but it's always so much better if i actually do all the steps. so it's usually worth it for me, if not a bit annoying

straight out of the shower i add super cream, rake (rather than scrunch) be-leave'in through, and then some ultra defining gel (all devacurl). i diffuse it (which always gives more uniform curls than air drying). the next day i'll run an iron through it very lightly, to loosen the curl a bit which turns it into a curl/wave hybrid. there's more heat than ideal, but the condition of my hair is pretty good and i like the results, so i'm not too concerned.

unnamed.jpg 

I love your hair! Curls are so pretty.

Your waves look so nice with Deva!  @jemly

This happened to me about a month ago, but I got a bad haircut with no style and some pieces were longer than others.  The guy didn't show me the back or ask if I liked the cut. I normally feel terrible about writing bad reviews for haircuts on yelp but I had no problem with this one!  He responded with a jerk email about how I have no style and of course my hair looks like garbage because I don't take care of it. 😂 

Now I need another haircut and I'm just hoping I don't run into another jerk!  When I get a bad haircut it makes me not want another haircut because it's pointless. Why spend money on something that's going to suck?!  I got a recommendation from a friend so hopefully that works out!

ahahahahahah! @itscarin  f' him! 

It is difficult  to not have your own stylist but move on! You will find someone just right for you. 

I don't like guy hairdressers.  The few times they cut my hair it has all been cool but I always felt this chip on their shoulder kinda thing.

Girl hairdressers, are so much cooler!!!! 

Don't be afraid to 'co-pilot' from the chair on how you want your hair!  I tell them 'just 1/2 an inch' like 100 times and I don't feel bad.  It is me that has to live with the haircut when I leave the salon....not them! ;')

@wheeeeeYeah, I did co-pilot him -- that's why he didn't cut more off.  I showed up and he wanted to take like 6 inches off my hair!  Some hair dressers just really don't like long hair.  Super snooty and unprofessional.  I miss my girl in Boston.  😩

Just curious @itscarin where did you go in Boston? I like to keep up with these things. 

@jozkid- The Parlor Salon and Apothecary in Wellesley which isn't technically in Boston but it's still worth the drive.  I'd drive out there to see Nikki.  Nikki is seriously the bomb!  She's a Bumble and Bumble educator and she's got like 20+ years of experience and she's done runway shows.  She used to split her time between the Bumble and Bumble in downtown Manhattan and her place but now she's full time at her place.  Totally worth it!  Whenever I go home I try to make it to her place.

Thanks for the info @itscarin  I will keep it in mind. I like my current stylist, but you never know! 😉

ugh I know how you feel @itscarin! I had a hair cut two weeks ago and I am so not happy with it..one side is a bit shorter than the other and he thinned it so odd, it falls limp and holds no shape. I can't even get another cut to fix it since it's quite short already.

Funny though I took my daughter for hers at a kiddy salon few days later and hers turned out so good..next time I am going to there 😄

@AnewxaWaiting is the worst part about a bad haircut.  Hair takes forever to grow out!  At least if I get a bad make over I can take it off and start fresh in 5 mins.  makeup > hair

@itscarin what a NIGHTMARE of a person !! i'm so sorry you had to deal with that. he clearly needs not just an attitude check but a completely overhaul (and reassessment because it sounds like he's in the wrong industry). i have no doubt you'll have a better experience this go-around.

@jemlyThanks!  The worst part was how unprofessional he is.  It's hairdresser 101 that you never try to make a drastic change with a new client because most people aren't ready for drastic changes.

Yikes! That sounds horrible. 😞

I hope your next haircut is much better!

That's awful @itscarin! It's things like that that make me not want to trust somebody with my hair. I actually have been cutting it myself for several years, but I can get away with it since it's curly. I've been toying with the idea of having a professional cut, but I'm scared I'll spend a bunch of money and hate it!

@BeadshopgirlYes, curly haired girls can get away with trimming their own hair much more easily than straight haired girls!  People try to say you need a haircut every 6-8 weeks -- that's just what they say to drum up more business.  Sometimes I think I'd be better off going to a chain hair salon like a cost-cutters or something because then I could just get a very simple cut and if it comes out bad then it was only $20-40 wasted.  It's when I start spending $100 that I have high expectations.

I also trim my own hair!  I can't be bother to go to the salon for a quick trim because I never stay for the styling part even though it is included in the haircut price.    I look fine!  lol!  @Beadshopgirl

Anonymous Insider

i've been doing my research for hair care this past few days i also read some articles and blogs about it and this thread helps me a lot.. its informative and valuable information.. thanks! 

Spoiler

Hello all! 

I am trying to save a few $$ in my life. I have dark brown hair with very light blonde balayage, close to the roots. Has anyone boxed blonde to deal with roots, with similar hair??

I constantly grow my hair out long (takes about 2 yrs), cut 11"-13" for locks of love with enough hair left over to have my hair hit underneath my shoulder line.  

I need help with whatever cut I'm going to get this time around.  I'm going to be donating my long strands in the next week or so, since I can't handle long hair this time of the year with how humid it is in PA at the moment.  Help!

446 Replies
testing