Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

somewhere in the middle section or underneath in the nap...

somewhere in the middle section or underneath in the nap area won't show down. and usually funky colors last a shirt amount of time, like 2-3 weeks. they fade with every shampoo. some spots may stay longer just.depending on your hair, texture, damage, environment, etc. and ive never dealt with that unicorn one u mentioned. (hair stylist of 11 years)

Verb Ghost Shampoo, Conditioner and Oil is amazing. Makin...

Verb Ghost Shampoo, Conditioner and Oil is amazing. Making my hair super shinny and tangle free. Yay!! 😊😍

Re: Verb Ghost Shampoo, Conditioner and Oil is amazing. Makin...

Your hair looks great! We love that you love Verb 🙂

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

This is such a GREAT idea!  What a great way to bring the beauty community together!  When it comes to hair, it can be very frustrating.  We look at all of your posts and comments.  Curls don't stay, hair is thin/fine, hair is broken, what hair color or cut should you do.  So many really great questions and the community is always there to support and share what is working and not working for them.  

You probably see us share our thoughts a lot, and this is because we are so passionate about hair here at Iles Formula.  We were created out of need.  Our founder Wendy Iles, is a celebrity hair stylist.  She has worked with many big names, Chrissy Teigan, Rita Ora, Heidi Klum, to name a few.  She found that working on set, she needed to be able to transform even the most traumatized hair into beautiful healthy hair on set in literally an instant.  So the journey began.  She has created a brand that literally provides INSTANT repair for all hair types.  

Our line includes Shampoo, Conditioner, Finishing Serum and a Hair Mask that will change your life.  We're just saying.  

Check out some of our reviews, or let us know if you have any specific hair questions that we can answer for you.  We love to communicate with all of you beauty mavens!

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

RE: Re: THE HAIR THREAD

I wanted to share my Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush experience. Of course I will also be leaving a review but I have seen a couple of people ask about it so before the upcoming November sale I wanted to just share here as well :-).

So I have been flat ironing my hair for over 10 years. I think I have been doing it for so long now that it is kind of my identity - but as I've gotten older I kind of wanta more natural straight look as opposed to the stick straight look I get with a flat iron and I was also hoping to find a solution that would take less time.

I used the Amika Brush on dry hair and I set the temperature at 400 degrees.

Pros: The major pro for me is that using the Amika brush over my flat iron definitely results in less heat being delivered to my hair. Using heat on your hair can be really damaging so obviously the less heat the better. I also find that it is less work overall to use - like I can just casually brush through sections as opposed to all the clamping and such that is required with a flat iron. I also think its safer - I an touch my hand to top of the bristles for at least 5 seconds before it feels too hot for my skin (you probably should not actually be touching it haha) and as someone who has burned themselves with a flat iron as a teenager the safety factor is nice.

Cons: It did not actually save me any time - maybe if you had wavy hair it would but as someone with very curly hair I still had to go piece by piece so it took the same amount of time. Additionally - I felt like my hair was a little frizzier than it would have been with a flat iron- like maybe with less heat locking my hair in it just puffs up more. Its ok going into the colder months but I imagine during more humid times I would need to find some kind of product to deal with that.

Final thoughts: I like the brush for an every day look and since I find it easier to use I'll continue using the brush for work days and such but I think if I had a special event I would probably still want the more polished look my flat iron provides. https://www.sephora.com/product/polished-perfection-straightening-brush-P414654?skuId=1842491&icid2=...

I did a thing and am about to start using silver shampoo to bring my hair to a charcoal shade:). It should be where I want it in a few weeks! 6226A5EF-68A3-48B7-B9AD-5ACD28BE8BBB.jpeg

A while ago some of us were commiserating about dry/frizzy/brittle hair - I found something that works for me! Davines Love Smoothing shampoo and conditioner has turned my brushy, fragile hair silky and soft. I do need to wash it every other day rather than every third, but I'll take it!

My hair has finally grown out to the point I can put it in a ponytail (albeit a frizzy straggly one) i am now able to pretend I am normal people from straight on:).  Soooo close to my charcoal goals.  My purple balayage has washed out and I look like I have bride of Frankenstein hair if I pomp it up.  Kinda loving that!My purple balayage has washed out and I look like I have bride of Frankenstein hair if I pomp it up. Kinda loving that!

i never brush my curly hair out when dry, but i am dying it at home and so a dry brushing needed to be done. i look like my uncle circa 1974 !

also, my hair dryer i've been using for approx 15 years broke mid-use this week. i have a lot going on and didn't have the cash to really invest in a new dryer. but i got the CONAIR infiniti pro from target for $30, and i really like it ! very pleased--works faster than my old model which is a real plus.

dude.jpg

I own a hair dryer but I don't know the brand. The reason for this is that my boyfriend is the only person in the house who uses it. Yep that's right! I don't use a hair dryer. I have thick curly island hair (think Moana without the benefits of animation to smooth out Polynesian frizz). Over the past year though I've found myself addicted to all DevaCurl products. These products save so much time but also give me the confidence to rock my natural wavy hair without being self-conscious about the frizz!!

my hair looked horrid this morning--i usually tend to it in the evening but was too tired last night (typical). this morning i had to diffuse it (which always takes forever, an hour give or take)--and had to leave for work with bits of it still damp. it looked fluffy and the curls looked a bit stringy. 3 hours later it looked infinitely better. so, it's clear, i GOTTA do my hair at night to give it ample time to dry and let the curls do their thing. 

does anyone else have hair experiences that feel contrary to everyone elses ?!

I have to shower at 4 just so that my hair drys in time for the next day! I HATE using heat unless its a special occasion.

@jemly Yes - I have hair experiences that feel contrary to other people's!  I also have to do my hair at night so that it will look in shape for the next day.  And if I have an event, I need to do it two nights before so that I can let it "settle."

Other issues include me wanting less volume - not more!  And the frustration that it takes so long for me to get my hair straight with a flat iron that I never have the time or ambition to do anything out of the ordinary with it - like waves or fun cuts.

At least we're in this together!  🙂

I have a hair color/not-color question. I do not dye my hair (style choice not moral judgment) and I'm completely fine with the greys that are starting to show on my 36 year old head. But my dark brown natural color is also fading a little, and I would like to have something to put back some richness. Is there a product that would do that without dyeing away the greys?

I don't know how if wouldxaafect grays but john Frieda has a color deepening shampoo for brunettes.  IMG_3800.PNG

i've had the same hair dryer for about a decade. i also had short hair for around a decade, which i would straighten. so the subtle differences between hair dryers (how much heat the exude, ion-whatevers) never made a difference to me. 

i've had a sense maybe my hairdryer was dying, and a friend gave me theirs. then i had about 10 days of dryer looking hair. i finally realized it might be the hair dryer ! i don't know if the new-to-me one i was using blew that much hotter, or the 'ionized air' of my old dryer actually DOES make a difference (i always thought it was more or less marketing b.s.), but i'm having a good hair day today after going back to my old dryer.

i have to blow out my face to show the texture of my hair !i have to blow out my face to show the texture of my hair !

i'll put my high maintenance yet effective routine in the spoiler 🙂 i hate having a high maintenance routine, honestly. i want hair that is carefree and easy going ! but what i do love about this routine and these products is that my hair looks like i don't put anything in it. it looks carefree and easy going. which i suppose is the next best thing ?! ha

Spoiler
AVEDA co-wash (i use either this or devacurl no-poo. i love both equally)
DEVACURL heaven-in-hair conditioning treatment. left this on for a little over and hour, then rinsed
DEVACURL one condition. rinsed then a bit left in
DEVACURL supercream. raked through soaking wet hair
DEVACURL be'leave-in. scrunched at roots for lift, then raked through
DEVACURL ultra defining gel
i then gently squeeze hair with the devacurl microfiber towel, just to ease the excess water and product
after letting it air dry for about 20 min (it's still very wet, just not dripping), i blow dry, with a hotsock diffuser. this takes forever and is annoying. i prefer blowdrying with a diffuser to air drying, though, as i get more uniform curls. i recommend netflix binge with subtitles while doing this 😉 . i find i usually get bored and stop when it's about 90% dry. when i wake up my hair lacks body and all the curls are clumped together, but a good shake and my hair bounces to life and curls separate, any gel cast that was left over is gone. if any curls are curled under/upward, i take my hair straightener and very very lightly run it through the ends so they fall correctly.

I've been meaning to thank you @jemly for recommending Devacurl!! Also thanks for posting your routine here, it's really helped me over the last few months as I've been experimenting with having my hair curly. I've referred to your post a lot! I'm not confident enough yet to have my hair curly all the time but I'd say it's curly about half the time now. That was a big thing I discovered, that my hair was much more curly than I'd thought-- sort of on the borderline between wavy and curly and I seem to be able to use products for both types. Also, your tip about putting products in soaking wet hair really helped me. I am shocked by how much my hair has improved in a short time frame. Thanks again 🙂

Re: RE: Re: THE HAIR THREAD

@blueviolet21 you're so very welcome ! i'm thrilled to hear it. please keep reporting back on your hair journey !!

Your hair looks great!

@jemly I've always wanted to be able to do curls like yours with my hair. I end up running out of patience halfway through styling it. Yours looks like it was professionally done, it's amazing! 

BTW, thanks for recommending the original One Condition, I like it even more than the Delight (I wish it smelled like lemony like that one though!). I just ordered the two new Devacurl masks, have you tried them yet?

@jemly I'll definitely let you know how they work for me, and I'm adding Heaven in Hair to my list for sure!

testing