Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Styling creams for thick, coarse hair

I have short, thick, coarse hair. I have a couple products I like, but nothing I’m in love with. I like something that keeps things smooth, but keeps my hair feeling soft and natural. I don’t like the feel of grease or stickiness. I currently use Bumble and bumble Grooming Creme 5 oz/ 150 mL. I like it, but I don’t love it. It’s hard to keep my hair flat. It has a tendency to be wavy, and sorta puffy. I know most folks want a product that adds volume, personally, I try to minimize that. 

What do you use? Also, I have attached a photo. image.jpg

Re: Styling creams for thick, coarse hair

check out AMIKA - Supernova Moisture and Shine Cream!

Hi @radleyas Do you like a shiny or matte finish? 

*Edit* also, you have a natural wave in your hair, are you trying to enhance or smooth that out? 

Something in between. A slight natural sheen.

@radleyas You probably won't see my edit, so I’ll just ask here. Are you trying to enhance your natural texture (you have a wave) or smooth it out a bit? 

I mostly try to tame it, but I don’t go out of my way to straighten it. My hair is only about 2 inches long (it’s so thick that it likely looks like a lot more). When I was younger, I did greasy pomades. 

Drybar Velvet Hammer Hydrating Control Cream 6 oz/ 177 mL

if you have a few extra seconds to blow dry, this will really tame things down and last you forever. 

If you are really against blow drying, KéRASTASE - Discipline Cream for Curly Hair. 

(I’m a stylist)

@radleyas @GG84 Agreed! We would also recommend Kérastase Discipline Heat Protecting Leave-In Treatment For Frizzy Hair 5.1 oz/ 150 mLfor blowdrying. Let us know how you like it! xx

Thank you. I have very short (2 inch long) hair. I don’t blow dry. But I will try the other cream.

I think I’ll go for the Keratase. I must admit I don’t even own a blowdryer. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It is most appreciated!

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos1
  • image.jpg
testing