Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Severely damaged hair brittle broken

Can I please get some help. I recently moved to a new city. Over the last year, and more extreme over the last several months my hair has become severely damaged. When washing, while trying to rinse shampoo it gets so clumped together I can not run my fingers thru it. It has become so brittle and weak it just tears out. Snaps. The entire underside of hair has broken off as is at 2-3 inches and this is happening all around my head on a smaller scale. On the underside I can remember pulling handfuls of hair out when trying to get conditioner thru my hair. I have to take take extreme care now when trying to wash. I do still have long hair left but I’m afraid with every wash what will be left. It is just a massive frizz mess now as it dries. It was suggested that I try Redken acidic shampoo / conditioner every other day and their cream cleanser to use once a week. I have been using this a month. It has maybe helped a little bit but not really. It may be less hair in the shower but I’m also washing every other day or every 2 days now vs 1-2 week so it looks like less. It’s making my hair extremely greasy. If I go more than 2 days it feels almost like chicken broth once i get it wet. On my last wash I tried using the conditioner very far from my roots but this made my hair even harder to rinse out because those sticky clumps are worse up by my roots. (Those areas without conditioner also dried with an almost crunchy feeling. ) This stuff also makes my scalp itchy and full of flakes. I don’t use style product I don’t heat dry. I have a water softener here which I have never had before. I may have been using too hot of water when I first moved here?? This could have kick started the damage?. When I used the cream cleaner, that was the first time in a long time a product actually started to lathered thru my hair since all of this started. However as soon as I start to rinse my hair clumps tightly to where I can’t run my fingers thru it. I’m sure product is prob getting left behind. It’s the lesser of 2 evils, try to force it and have my hair fall out and break off or risk leaving some product behind. I’m assuming this is happening. I don’t know where to turn. Because of health risks  I am not able to go into a salon. My long thick gorgeous hair now looks like a Halloween witch wig . I know this post is all over the place just trying to get all the info out there. Also I get regular blood work and all my vitamin levels are in check and I am not taking any meds that would affect this. This all started with a move, May it be the hot water or different shower heads that initially we’re not rinsing shampoo and hair dye completely from my hair would be the only things I can think that could have started this but no idea why it has continued to get so bad or how to fix. One last thing I did notice all of this around the time I opened a new bottle of Olaplex 3.  When I used it my hair did not feel soft and silky, it felt like glue. I’ve tried using it twice since and will no longer use it. It just tangles my hair and it’s like my hair is rejecting it.. nothing like the first two bottles I loved. I figured those repeat fails were due to this new damage issue. I wonder now if the Olaplex could have played a part.  I just can’t stress enough.. i can’t wash my hair like a normal person!! SomeWhere between adding the shampoo and the starting to rinse its so clumped, stuck together if I try to move it around it’s brittle and weak it snaps off and I’ve got handfuls of hair. Any help is appreciated. Can I also get input on the best kind of shower head for damaged hair??

Re: Severely damaged hair brittle broken

hi! 

i would recommend doing a few things to help your hair

first of all don’t be concerned about how often you wash your hair. if you need to wash it daily then wash it daily. once you hair is healthy you can begin extending your washes

i would also recommend using a repair shampoo and conditioner without sulfates. when i had damaged hair i use the Bumble and bumble The Bond-Building Repair Trio but there are a bunch of good ones. i would recommend taking a break from olaplex as it might not work for your hair type. 

i would recommend doing weekly oil treatments. this is when you apply a hair oil on your scalp a couple hours before hair washing. this is a real game changer as it makes your hair so much healthier. i use the meille rosemary oil from amazon or argan oil. 

after washing i would apply a leave in conditioner. then daily (every time before you brush your hair) i would apply a lightweight oil on your ends to protect from damage while brushing. i like the Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil or the OUAI Mini Hair Oil 0.45 oz/ 13 mL . 

i would recommend not using much heat on your hair and when you do use heat, make sure you have a heat protectant on your hair. 

@AgainstMe 

Hi there. You have mineral build up in your hair, I’m 98% sure. A water softener just softens the water, it cannot remove what has already been deposited onto your hair. I know the feeling/texture you are describing. This has nothing to do with Olaplex or any other product in your regimen. 
I use the professional brand to remove mineral deposits, however Sally Beauty makes a consumer version called “Ion Crystal Clarifying Treatment”. get two, it sounds like you have a heavy deposit and may need to do the process twice. Apply a deep conditioner after the second time and your hair will feel brand new. 

I'm so sorry to hear, @AgainstMe!! You mentioned not being able to go to a salon, can you look for mask required salons (if that's the health issue?).

I think a professional is going to be your best bet. If you can't find someone to go to in person, maybe a virtual appointment? Good luck!!

From what I’m understanding… it might not be the shampoo that is the issues. Have you looked into and see if you have hard water? Hard water is common in a lot of shared living places. It is very harsh on the hair due to the minerals and harsh chemicals in the water? 

Hello thanks for the reply. There is hard water here but I have a water softener that also filters out the chlorine. 

I just re read your post and I apologize because I missed the part we’re you said you had water softeners. I definitely recommend the sprite high output shower filter, it’s only around 40$ I belive? I also recommend going in for k18 treatments, you can buy some of the k18 products( at a high price) but you can get more for your buck by having a salon do it. I know A lot of people have bad luck with olaplex, but I feel as if that is not your case. It’s just the condition of your hair that the olaplex is not bonding with. Go in for frequent trims and treatments. Also definitely look into the medication, because I know medicine can play some type of role for hair transformations. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to message me. I am a cosmetologist so I can help the best I can!! 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing