Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Best Hair Ever

Removing product buildup

I went in and got a haircut yesterday.  My stylist said I had some product buildup that was causing the flakes I thought was dry skin, and said I should start using a weekly clarifying shampoo or treatment.  Any suggestions on great shampoos or tried and true recipes for homemade concoctions?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Removing product buildup

I absolutely LOVE Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo. No other shampoo have I tried that I can absolutely feel the difference in the shower of how clean my hair is. It is amazing at removing product buildup; I use this every 2-3 shampoos.

swfupload_6858933417202451759.png

I just started using this the other day and it has made my hair very soft. My hair is combination oily (with oily scalp) and when it's dry, it is very soft. I purchased a 1L bottle yesterday at the salon at JC Penney for $15 (it was the sale price and the sale ended but they forgot to put the price back up so had to give it to me for the $15 (at first, they charged me $26 and I was like, what a minute....) I would have also gotten the conditioner but they were sold out.

I used to use this too for years - when I was still shampooing my hair daily. It really is effective and removes any build-up and in my case, oily scalp. I used it twice a week.

I use Nioxin because it clarifies, it removes scalp buildup, and the one I use helps with thinning hair. 

I read this blog, I forgot the link. But this actually works, because I do it. If you scratch your scalp gently, you will remove alot of the build up. Before you shower and in the shower. You can see the build up under your nails. I do this before I shampoo and my flakes stopped.

Do it gently, don't scratch hard beause you know you will damage your scalp.

Just a natural way of doing it.

I had the same issue a few years back.  I has been using more hairspray and styling products than usual and ended up with flakes.  My stylist recommemded the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo/conditioner. I used it every 4th shampoo.   I also changed up my styling products to a brand from my salon, Aquage.   Their products don't build up in my hair and makes it look amazing.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=BUMBLE%20AND%20BUMBLE%20Sunday%20Shampoo%20...

this one's said to be great, i bought it but it smelled funny to me, but you may like it! 

For build up and flakes, clarifying shampoo doesn't work for me. Ouidad bayleaf hair/scalp exfoliator is the only one that works. Not only is like a scrub to remove flakes from scalp, rubbing it on my scalp actually helps to detangle my hair.

The Ouidad bayleaf stuff is a miracle worker for any length hair. It also makes my hair more shiny and is color safe even if it doesn't say it.

I have thick hair & the Ouidad Bayleaf gets stuck in my hair Smiley Sad 

But I do use a combo of two items to keep my scalp & hair build-up free:

1. Apple Cider Vinegar - I keep a little squirt bottle in my shower & run it through my wet scalp & hair every 2-3 weeks (usually when I start to feel build up I'll use it) I used to only use it every other month, but since switching to sulfate free shampoo I need to use it more often. I massage it in for a bit, rinse, then shampoo, condition... 

2. Bumble & bumble Tonic Lotion Spray - I don't use it as a detangler, I keep Ouidad moisture lock leave in conditioner in my shower & apply a bit to my hair before I get out, but as a scalp treatment. After I comb my hair out I spray it on my scalp & few sprays on my fingers & massage it in. Last winter I only got the dry oil patches once & that was during an extremely cold week. 

http://www.sephora.com/tonic-lotion-P280530?skuId=1270305

I have the Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo which I use usually once or twice a week or when I am switching products. I have the Suave Clarifying Shampoo as well (bought it months before the B&B one) and it does a decent job for only being $1.50.

I also recently got into using Apple Cider Vinegar as a rinse (I use 2 tablespoons with 1 cup of water) but it leaves a horrible scent in my hair (even a day later) so I am going to try 1 tablespoon of the ACV and see how that does. I only started doing this because the shampoo I was using is a shampoo bar and made my hair feel very oily.

A good clarifying shampoo can sometimes work but I recommend scrubbing your scalp in the shower. Also, use sulfate and silicone free products like pro naturals argan oil shampoo and conditioner, they don't build up.

2 of my favorite clarifying shampoos are Suave Naturals clarifying and Herbal Essences Drama Clean. I've used these for years.

After washing root to tip with one of these, I follow with a vinegar rinse. Take a 16 oz water bottle and fill to the bottom line with apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar. Fill the rest with water. Shake to mix. Then pour over freshly shampooed hair.

Rubbing this solution between your palms takes away soap & oil residue as well.

Anyway, after rinsing that out (which takes about a minute or so), just condition as usual. Or follow with a treatment conditioner for extra awesomeness.

I do this every 1-2 weeks or as needed. And no, it does not affect my color in the slightest.

I had the same problem- I have fairly thick, wavy hair that likes to do its own thing, so I end up using entirely too many lotions and potions to tame it every so slightly.

My stylist recommended Davines Solu shampoo (which is excellent if you can find it), but I have found that the bumble and bumble sunday shampoo works just as well for me (and it's available at Sephora).

If you want to go the natural route, baking powder (not soda) does a great job of stripping off built-up product, and using Apple Cider Vinegar as a rinse makes my hair shiny and manageable. I generally do this once a month (every three weeks in the summer)- and my hair is is much better shape.

I hate to break it to you.... but baking powder IS baking soda with the addition of cream of tartar. Smiley Happy Not to mention the drying agents and starch in it too... better to stick to just baking soda.

I read somewhere that you can just add some baking soda to your normal shampoo (when it is in the palm of your hand, not directly into the bottle) and that will work to clarify your hair and scalp without stripping it.

My stylist just recommended that I try baking soda (or was it powder?) to strip the kool-aid from my daughter's hair.  I dip dyed her hair over the summer and months later it has barely faded.  I'm thinking it's still going to be in by Christmas!

probably baking soda... baking powder is baking soda and cream of tartar with some type of starch.

Does anyone know if it's baking powder or baking soda?  

And does anyone besides blueorchid have issues with Apple Cider Vinegar leaving the scent in your hair?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I have used an apple cider vinegar rinse in my hair and the smell wasn't an issue for me.  It faded very quickly.

33 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • swfupload_6858933417202451759.png
  • Goldies Natural Beauty