Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Best Hair Ever

Removing product buildup

I went in and got a haircut yesterday.  My stylist said I had some product buildup that was causing the flakes I thought was dry skin, and said I should start using a weekly clarifying shampoo or treatment.  Any suggestions on great shampoos or tried and true recipes for homemade concoctions?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Removing product buildup

Hi Kalex-

Sunday shampoos is one of my favorite clarifying shampoos. It's very concentrated and your hair is left feeling clean and not overly dry!

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=sunday%20shampoo&skuId=1270073&productId=P2...

<3 Melissa

I bought a shower head filter on amazon to remove chlorine plus i use the malibu hardwater & buildup remover treatment packets once a week. But, thats just for water related buildup. I use dawn dish soap and baking soda to remove product build up now. Every 2-3 weeks I use it to keep my hair stuff working. Smiley Happy

Wow, thanks for this post.  I didn't realize the recent flaking on my scalp could be product build up.  I'll have to try some of these remedies!

I love love love Kenra's Clarifying Shampoo. It works great and it's gentle! My stylist sells it, but it's available at Ulta.

P.S. Be careful if you have chemically treated or colored hair. Certain clarifying shampoos are not safe for these. The Kenra one is.

Try Chi Ionic Power Plus C-1 Vitalizing shampoo.  I think it is outstanding for a clarifying shampoo.

Highlighted

I never use the clarifying shampoos. My go to is "braggs apple cider vinegar". You can use it alone or mix it with water.

Another good clarifying treatment is baking soda & water. NOT baking powder. People are split on this. I've tried both. Stick with baking soda.

If you don't want to make your own than you can always buy an apple cider vinegar rinse. Goldies Natural Beauty makes a nice rinse. It's cheaper to make yourself but goldies smells better and will last you a while if you use every couple weeks for the sole purpose of clarifying your scalp.

My go to clarifying scalp rinse

Neutrogena makes a good one. I use one by Avalon Organics though, and I tend to go into more natural purchases like that thinking they won't be effective, but it works really well. Smells like lemons!

I love using 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water to break down the product build up!

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • swfupload_6858933417202451759.png
  • Goldies Natural Beauty